Shuffle Rank 1 Spots - API Bug or connected to Pennants not being awarded?

Hello everyone, I’m here to raise awareness about a potential bug with Rank 1 title cut offs for Solo Shuffle. I’m convinced that:

1. the API is inconsistent in calculating alts on the same account, which as per a March blue post from Blizzard, will just count as x1 spot.
  2. the recent bug with Legend Pennant toy not being awarded to players is affecting the amount of available spots

I’ll explain my situation and why I believe this is the case.
I reached rank 5 the week before the season end as Holy Paladin. At that point, the spots on 3rd party websites were 12. On May 1st, a blue post on the cut offs at that moment showed the Rank 1 cut off, which at the time was 12 spots for Holy Paladin too. This shows that the 3rd party sites were correct.

For that reason, I sat my rating and dropped to Rank 10, thinking it was all safe all along.
I didn’t push further as I was busy but also because I was pretty scared (no need to lie about it, we all know how shuffle goes. Personally I’ve dropped to 2800 and then up to 3288 within two days, it’s just crazy, so I was pretty upset about the sole thought of losing so many points due to a bad counter lobby).

Now here’s when the fun starts. The season ended and all cut off websites showed 10 spots rather than 12 for Holy Paladin. Then another update yesterday and now it’s 9 spots, even if the ladder has not changed at all (the same exact 10 people are up there). There were NO changes.

If the spots dropped from 10 to 9, it means that 1000 paladins disappeared and don’t count towards the active players pool that builds the 0.1% of people receiving the title. If I weren’t good enough and just had to queue further, missing out on the title for a pure rating issue, then so be it – I’ll try again next season.
However this is too fishy, various top players on Discords & Reddit are complaining that the spots danced up and down way too much.

So, here’s my assumptions:

1. The cut off does not always account for alts as it should. For Holy Paladins, the 1st and 3rd spot are taken by the same player, Ajani and Ajany. Going down from 10 to 9 spots all of a sudden (with the ladder NOT changing), means that Ajani’s x2 characters aren’t counted as 1 anymore.

2. Loads of players don’t have their Legend Pennant toy, as this page says https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/000336750 . Probably they are the ones who are invisible to the ladder spots calculation, hence the amount of spots going up and down.

To conclude, remember: rating thresholds always go up at the end of the season. I’m playing for 15 years, I’ve earned Rank 1 in 3v3 multiple times, I fully know how the system works.

However, the amount of SPOTS going down does not make any sense, at all, as that means that the amount of active players just shrank over night. Ajani was the only person having two characters in the top 10 over the whole last week of the season, so it’s not like another alt fell down of the cut off and the spots reduced.

I’ve noticed that Warriors also lost 3 spots all of a sudden. It doesn’t make much sense so this is an issue that’s affecting dozens of people. I am aware that this could sound like a very ‘small’ issue affecting just a few players, but the dedication and time needed to get Rank 1, after a vacuum of 1000 rating with no rewards (2400->3400 has nothing anymore), should be respected and understood. Again, if I and many others didn’t get it for not being good enough, alright. But this cut off / spots behavior is very, very, suspicious and unprecedented.

I hope the Legend Pennant toy issue gets fixed and the Rank 1 cut off topic does not get neglected and that this post helps.

1 Like

Happy to see I’m not the only one who noticed this. Hopefully we can get some clarification on this matter.

Lol, you are below the cut off for 3 rating. That stings more than my case (3293 cut off, and I’m 3288 so by 5 points). I literally refreshed the pvp tab for hours watching my Rank 10 being safe and sound for sure before the season ended, I didn’t queue because I knew I was safe. (Sure, I could have lost, but I could have won too).

I go to bed convinced that I got it, and the day afterwards there’s less spots all of a sudden.

I wasn’t tracking 3v3 but apparently 10 spots vanished there too from what I’m hearing. This is not normal

Yeah :confused: I tought I was safe for sure. When season ended the cutoff was at 3398 or something and around 43 spots for disc. Now its gone down by 10. Would be extremely sad if I would miss it by 3 points.

Did you really track the cutoff every day, and are you certain about the number of spots? Because most 3rd party sites like check-pvp update cutoffs only once during the night (around 4am for EU) using the official Blizzard API. :slight_smile:

Blizzard doesn’t provide any information about the number of spots. What these sites do is simply highlight players who are at or above the cutoff during the day, which makes it seem like there are more and more “spots” each time a new player enters (the outdated) R1 cutoff.

So when the cutoff is updated, you will see fewer spots and a higher cutoff if someone “new” entered the R1 range between two cutoff updates.

I didn’t notice anything fishy for my spec. I did count the number of slots (20) once and updated my own ladder each day, and everything was correct at the next cutoff update, even if the number of slots increased (wrongly) during the day as I explained. :slight_smile:

Yes, at least in my case the top 10 paladins did not change / no new alts were involved whatsoever as I was closely watching for 3 days; just the spots went down for no reason. But we’ll see what happens next wednesday :smiley:

Can you find the bluepost from blizzard, that says that multiple characters of same player in r1 range count as one spot, therefor for each duplicate provides another spot for player in rating bellow? I am unable to find it. But i am sure in season 1 df, i had 3 chars in r1 spots and got crimson legends on them and for the two duplicated out of my 3 chars it passed down the spots for other players. Sadly now in season 3 it did not work this way. Did blizzard mess up or reversed the bluepost they did in season 1?