Slow loading textures and models (SSD)

Greetings all,

A year ago I bought a new PC: Intel® Core™ i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz, 16GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Graphics card. I also have an SSD (250GB) on which WoW is installed. In the beginning everything was fine but a few months ago I noticed that my loading screens on logging initially are taking very long, like 5 minutes or so. When I eventually log in, it takes another 5 to 10 minutes for all the textures, models, NPC’s, etc. to load. After 20 minutes the game runs smooth and if I alt-F4 and relog the loading screen goes way faster. It’s only the initial login that everything takes a way to load. It’s becoming really annoying, I feel like my PC should be able to handle WoW, especially with an SSD.

Anyone has any idea what causes this and has a possible solution?

Thank you very much!

Cheers,
Lime

Is the SSD nearly full? Some SSD models/types tend to get really slow when they are nearly full and get reduced performance potentially much earlier.

2 Likes

102 GB used of the 223 GB available space, so nearly half full.

Run https://www.userbenchmark.com/ and then look on your SSD result. There will be a percentile like so:

Performing way above expectations (99th percentile)

Performing way below expectations (17th percentile)

If the SSD gets a really low percentile then it’s something “wrong” with it. And if the score looks fine - run wow and while wow is running re-run the benchmark.

1 Like

My SSD, with my WoW files on it, scored a 2.24% while running WoW. Yikes. I immediately ordered a new one, thank you very much for the tip!

What size, what model? You need a drive that handles small files and compressed files well and that has enough cache to not get clobbered. As WoW is already ~100GB then a good 512GB SSD should be really good at it. (but still reviews have to be checked).

A friend recommended me the Samsung 870 EVO - 1 TB and WoW runs very very smooth now. No more problems with loading screens or animation/textures loading upon logging. The problem is fixed!