Slow textures loading

It’s pretty much the most annoying issue. It happens every time i log in, enter a new instance, or change the character. Why this is happening?
For those who don’t know what slow textures loading is. It is in-game loading when

It’s pretty much the most annoying issue in this game for me. It happens every time i log in, enter a new instance, or change the character. Why is this happening?
For those who don’t know what i am talking about. I am talking about the slow textures loading which you enter the game but the map around you without buildings and without players ( including you ) with the map being grey and the mini-map doesn’t display anything in most of the times…
This doesn’t really happens to me at any other game and if it happens it just take seconds to load mostly everything while here it take much longer time and it happened very much that the camera is frozen in one place while i can move my invisible-for-me character.

I hope i am clear in what i am saying because i feel like i need to record a video to make it clear and understandable. Is there anyway to fix this issue forever? I tried uninstall the game and reinstalling it from zero and it didn’t fix the issue at all… :confused:

I used to have the same problem up until 6 weeks ago when my PC died, I bought a new one with better graphics/cpu and an SSD and I have never had it since.

I have the same problem with an almost new PC :frowning:

3 Likes

Do you have an SSD disk? Maybe you have too many addons and they are bottlenecking your cpu when you load in new place?

When I had the exact issue the OP is describing, i was on HDD.

It was frustrating, log into the character and not be able to do anything for about 50 seconds whilst all the textures, your clothes etc load, unable to move or do anything. If you did move, your screen stayed where it was… then 50 seconds later… BAM you are in a completely different place as the character DID really move lol.

1 Like

I am using a laptop with GTX 1050, 8GB RAM and HDD only
In Legion i used to play on potato laptop which was far worse in everything than my current one and i hadn’t the same problem at all despite my game files being on the HDD
Yesterday i played both ESO and FFXIV and i hadn’t any slow textures loading.

Well my new desktop is also GTX1050 (was a 750Ti on the old one) and 8MB ram. However I do have wow on SSD now and an i5 processor.

WoW is resource heavier from patch 8.1.5 i believe, especially RAM and CPU, many people noticed decrease in performance when Blizzard updated multi-core usage, you can try using directX 11 api in advanced in game.

Yeah. I felt something went wrong with the game ever since that patch but good note. I will try running the game on DirectX 11 instead of 12 and see if it will fix it or not

Swapping to an older DirectX version is unfortunately not likely to help here - in fact DirectX 11 actually tends to perform worse than DirectX 12, at least assuming the hardware in the PC is fully supporting the latter.

Slow loading of ingame textures/assets is typically indeed the result of limitations imposed by harddrive- and memory-speed, and as Decayin already indicated WoW had some necessary increases in data density/complexity over the past few patches (mostly going from 8.1 → 8.2, and all in between). That is also one of the reasons why by now an SSD is considered recommended for the game with the minimum being a 7200RPM HDD - external drives (regardless of relative speed) are not recommended at all.

At the end of the day WoW is a fairly massive game, and when dealing with large data amounts the read/write speed of the storage medium it is installed on does become a rather notable factor. :slight_smile:

So… no hope for fixing it on my laptop for the current moment?

Post your hard disk model and we will check if it meets recommended requirements, if yes, then the problem is somwhere else.

My HDD model: ST2000LM007-1R8174

So, your hdd has 5400 rpm, requirements are 7200rpm, i think wow is just too big to be loaded smoothly on slower disk, it’s just physically impossible. Tip of the year 2019 - invest in SSD drive not smaller than 512GB and be happy with smooth gaming without replacing whole machine.

No guarantees that the game will be smooth. Prior to 8.1. and onwards, it was smooth for me, but after that up to this day, it suddenly became even worse than running the game on a HDD. A single patch and peformance made a complete 180 turn for the worse. Tried disabling addons, windows start up programs, nothing changes, still takes about 2+ minutes for the game textures to load, in addition to like 1 minute of log in screenm so clearly SSD is not relevant here as much.
I don’t know what Blizz did in these last patches, but the game went from smooth on high settings(9 or 10) to absolute pain to play. It’s one thing to tolerate the log in times and texture loading on start up , it’s another when it happens every time you zone in any area.

Whatever they did, an i5 processor can’t handle it, just barely, ironic, since i can play supposedly more demanding games without issues, even though my GPU is only 750ti.

Suffice to say, it’s annoying as hell, doesn’t help the morale when you have to wait 2-3 minutes for the character to appear every time you go to a different zone.

1 Like

Solid State Disk disk? OW, that made my brain hurt.

Not everyone is familiar when you ask them about SSD, sometimes i must add it’s about disk, the same was HDD, i had to write HDD disk for people to undersrand.

I don’t have an SSD but a fairly new PC so no money for upgrades. I’ll just have to put up with looking at lots of people floating in mid-air for a minute or so before the mission boat underneath them appears.