Snapshotting

I didn’t play when you could snapshot in the game, but if i got it right it seems a pretty cool and also hard to master mechanic, why was it removed?

Eh “fun” I liked to play around with it on my alt warlock if i remember correctly they removed it cause of the skill gap between the more casual players and higher end ones cause snapshotting done right was insane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0vqF13mKFQ <— legend himself showing affli warlock power back in mop when snapshotting was a thing

2 Likes

There wasn’t really any “mastery” to it, you either knew about it or you didn’t. If you knew you probably had an addon that tracked the potency of your DoTs, it was fun in a way however it kinda skewed boss fights, concentrating too much damage in a small period of time.
There were also more tools to allow you to take advantage of snapshotting, like soulburn-soulswap for warlock and trinkets like Black blood, however if you didn’t get your procs at the start of the fight your damage was trash, even knew people that were faking dc so we restart the fight in case of a bad proc.
Not sure why they removed it, obviously makes balancing much easier and now combat puts less emphasis on this one single moment, although as an affliction warlock you don’t really feel that because of darkglare.

As someone who played affliction warlock in MoP, I loved it and miss it so much. It added more complexity to the class and created an abyss of difference between a good and a bad player, as it should be with every class.
But that’s probably the reason they removed it. I remember Ion said in an interview that they wanted the difference between good and bad players to be as low as possible.

It was removed to reduce the skill gap between regular and top-tier players.

That’s a rather convenient and self-serving explanation.

2 Likes

Lol, read the post above mine, it’s true.

I’m fairly sure that’s not how truth works :slight_smile: And if you want to make your own, then might aswell choose something that makes you feel good inside, makes sense to me.

You got it right, and it was removed because it was a pretty cool and also hard to master mechanic. :slight_smile: You know, fun detected…

Its also easier to balance fights without. Are alot things from past that id like back but snapshotting isnt one of them.

Because thats how its supposed to work normally ? Same like glorious ele shaman buff where you can cast flame shock after lava burst and still get crit …

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.