So I thought I would give tanking a shot, it was a bad idea

Wow… That’s like so stupid, glad you persevered.

1 Like

They do… that’ll be a change; one of the reason I dont tank in WoW now.

Any tank can keep aggro and stay alive but the hallmark of a good tank is knowing what to do.

You could learn before you do stuff. Crazy, I know.

Carry on… only way to get better… no one is born the expert and if they are not able to understand it, well it is not your problem. Just let them know that you are new to this role, i think some of the anger is coming from what they expect… that is why saying you are new will get rid of this feeling in them.

Professionals are not born, they’re made.

Only people who’ve never tanked think that tanking is an easy task. Tank is a person who has to know:
-all boss and mob’s abilities

• all mechanics
  • positioning of dps and healer

As for m+, people usually give U the lead. Tank is the person responsible for the whole route, exact % and possible skips.

As for Rezan, he targets dps and chase them. So they need to run from him till the chase is gone. But sometimes he’s bugged. Though you see the time is over, he can still eat you and kill.

If you want to become a tank, than watch twitch tank’s POVs, some youtube guides and train yourself in terms of learning every boss ability and adds’ skills. Noboy told you, it was easy. You need to practice much and learn a lot. But the result is worth it, trust me. Don’t try to get into +10 immediately. Start with some easy keys: normal mythics=>+3-6 keys=>+7-10=>10-14=>15+

Good luck

3 Likes

well while you might have positioned the boss terrible and everyone got feared, it is definitely not the problem that one of those bozos got caught.
The fear ends already before he starts chasing someone.

btw key below +10 is just torture. People are wanna be pros and think they are not doing anything wrong but just play terrible.
Obviously if you tank a +3 and never even tanked AD and it is only the second dungeon you ever tanked on mythic without knowing and studying it already as a dps, you are definitely part of the terrible experience in low keys.

I play tank, dps and heal, but I always start by doing all keys of new expac on +0 first to learn mechanics.
Skips you will learn later or you could even ask your group where to go. But if you don’t know mechanics as either role, than it has nothing to do with tanking

tanking has never been easier. I only started tanking because instant invites. Everything including a +10 is easy as long as you have run the dungeons several times.
Skips and % is not even really important in the +0-10 because you can time it regardless

To be fair we finished it on time so could have gone worse :grin:

1 Like

Well, try killing pack before Volkal on fortified week on +10 key when the void emissary is there too than. You will hear a lot of new things about yourself :grin:

I mean yes, sometimes you can go the whole place with no skips. But on fortified bolstering weeks some packs are even deadlier than any boss. So, if you can skip these dangerous packs, better skip them.

that is probably because your group was avg ilvl 410 or something and not the intended ilvl 380 for a +3 :stuck_out_tongue:

it is fine, but any role should know the basics by doing +0
but it is part of the ilvl garbage that we have at the moment, so everyone just wants to jump into a +7 appropriate for their gear.

Unfortunately many of those players cannot even do average dps in a 4 button game.
Yesterday I joined a +2 with my trashcan demo lock (ilvl 403) and invited even people with 420+ and they did like 10k dps overall which was just sad to watch.

so my advice would be: run +0-2 for some dungeons or run it higher with your dps and watch the tank. then actually start tanking something with a competent group, meaning check RIO.
If you don’t check RIO you want to kill yourself after some runs because it is just so sad

I only tank during event/bg/world bosses… I take positioning very seriously since I think it really makes a tank good or bad.

Do I watch videos/guides… no. I just pay attention when I’m on my rogue what the tank does since it also helps me adjust to the fight/tank. Usually it takes a try or two to get it right on my tank chars. So don’t be too harsh on yourself, you just need a bit more experience. Gain that by paying attention to other tanks and if you want to put even more time into it: look at guides/videos.

Shame that those people didn’t feel like helping you out to get better, I assume you told em you where new?

if I am the tank, easy. If I am the healer, I want to kill myself if the tank is a potato without brain.

You don’t need to kill the void till everything is dead already. the stairs are easy for los so all you need to do is kill the bottom pack first and drag the top pack down the stairs.

of course it is one of the worst packs in the game but depending on your group you can handle it easier if the group doesn’t go all in “HULK SMASH”
But that is not only the tanks job, because if the dps are unable to cc and nuke the totem first, welllllllll you are in for a good time
Many ways to handle the pack actually. Kill casters, cc undeads. CC casters, kill totem and undeads. But with pugs you should definitely not try to brute force during those weeks :confused:

Well no I was scarred they would just leave :sweat:

Actually better to tell them, you don’t want people that are not aligned with your pace/skill.

As a tank or healer you have less to worry about losing people for that. There’s also some communities out there that promote helping each other out. Maybe have a look out for them or some people on the forum could send you their way. :slight_smile:

Yeah I will have a look at it, thanks for the advices :smiley:

While this is good its also bad… U know, ive seen tons of tanks videos, and tried myself, and it didnt work much cuz u know… In those videos he pulls few mobs and bam, dmg meter insta jump to 100k + dps for every dps… Same with healers u see them doing 50k + hps, thats something u dont see regulary in your m+10 pug.
So yea, check tactics, routes tips and tricks. But dont expect to do things u see on twtich, because tanking 10 mobs for 20 secs or for 3 minuts is a big difference…

You forgot Zen Horde on red side :blush:

I really don’t envy anyone tanking, people can be, and often are absolutely vile.

I discovered one of the hardest part of being a tank : people follow you

That’s part of being a Tank. People will almost always usually follow you, unless you tell your group you have never been to that place. I know from experience being a tank myself and from doing it myself. Unless someone asks for it specifically I won’t lead the way for them and let them figure it out like I know I would prefer as well.

That was another bad idea. One of the dps starts to flame me even more in the group chat but we eventually finish the boss. We keep going and finish the dungeon, and also on time. The very angry dps wasn’t done as he kept whispering me, I tried to understand what was the problem and he said that he got caught because he was feared since I didn’t position the boss right. I will admit I completly messed up the fear mechanic so my bad I guess but still, rude. After that I had some shopping to do and I logged off.

I would just /ignore people like that. Mistakes happen to everyone and if it’s clear that tank or any other role doesn’t know what they’re doing, they can just say so politely rather than starting to flame people right away. This is why I rarely pug myself. Even had it last time that I tanked LFR anniversary raid with my co-tank, it was our first time doing the boss (and first wipe…) so we didn’t know how to position the boss. Immediately got called ‘‘ret*rd tanks’’. Someone else explained politely and it went fine.

But honestly, as I experienced myself after I switched from my Hunter to Monk tank - it takes time and patience to learn tanking.

A few points:

• People will most likely follow you most of the time, because people automatically assume you know the dungeon/raid as a Tank (if you don’t, aren’t sure etc - TELL people so they know and are prepared!)
  • When something goes wrong, it usually is blamed on the Tank or Healer. If someone starts flaming you but don’t give any helpful pointers, /ignore them or tell them off. It WILL happen at some point while you tank, multiple times probably even. You grow a hard skin after awhile.
  • Do the dungeon/raid multiple times to get the hang of it. At the end of a dungeon or so, you can always ask for advice if there’s anything you can improve on. You can watch simple guides as well to get an idea.

Most importantly, don’t give up! Going from DPS to Tank is a whole different thing and needs time.

Well, nobody cares who you are when this content is almost over. Sadly, but that happened all the time. I remember Legion when 970 players had to do hc dungeons to get essences for legendary. And if some new player was unfortunate no to know where to go or just die on packs, they didnt care at all, they just rushed dungeon as a rocket and left.

In BFA we don’t have legendary and essences but same situation with rushing through dungeons.

Unfortunately you can only get decent at tanking by practising and you’re going to get stuff wrong. That means people will flame you as if you kicked their puppy irl.

So you’ll have to decide if you have a thick enough skin to brush that off.

You’ve already seen theres an awful lot more to tanking than just doing your rotation (lol at the lifelong plebs that say “tanking is eezy, I only has 7 buttonz to press!”)
You need to position mobs well. You need to judge the capabilities of your team because it influences the size of your pulls. You have to path so oblivious dps don’t butt pull. You’ll have to notice when they still manage to butt pull and grab the mobs off them. It’s an endless list.

Even if you don’t stick with it, its always worth experiencing all roles for a while. It lets you appreciate what involved.

Usually people look to you to being a leader when you’re a tank or when you’re forming a group.

Usually it’s better to let people know you don’t know the instances / mechanics or what not, that way they don’t have the expectation that you know things.

As other people have said alot of people expect to be able to pull off things they see organised groups doing without the co-ordination they have, it immeasurably easier if you have voice chat with other group members so you an let them know when you want them to use cooldowns or if you’re going to do a big pull and pop cd’s/hero etc.

i play alot these days, and well if you want to try building up your tanking game, i don’t mind shotting on some healing gear or pew pew’ing you through some low keys (i class low keys as 6 and below) when you’re on if im free.

What are you talking about? You simply don’t touch this pack. It is such a waste of time. You go 1st boss, 3rd boss, then to Volk’al where you turn left from the stairs, hug the wall, jump in the water jump up onto the platform, kill Volk’al, then wipe and release and going straight to Yazma.