So... Wedding Time. Anybody read it, yet?

The promised wedding short story has come. And I’m sure it’s fun and cute and wholesome and such…

So… anyone read it, yet? I kinda don’t want to.

I read it. It was awful. Typical Golden writing. She is allowing alliance scum to walk free around a Horde wedding. And of course Talanji wasn’t invited. Unlike Jaina she will never be relevant outside of the expansion were the Zandalari were introduced.

Nah, I found her already on my name search for the Alliance characters:

1 Like

Lmao then Golden is breaking with the lore. Talanji should be demaning the head of every alliance leader who was involved in the assault on Zandalar. Starting with Alleria because she send Umbric to help Jaina stealing from the royla treasury.

have fun trying to kill a void empowered Alleria, emphasis on trying

2 Likes

Didn’t finish reading it yet.

Just finished it and to be entirely honest my feelings on it are rather mixed. The whole thing is from Wrathion’s perspective and the wedding doesn’t play too big of a role outside being a bit of fancy backdrop to the dragons figuring out a nascent longing that plagues them all, which they cannot explain.

Inviting the racial leaders and aspects can be interpreted as a political flex, with some sending others in their stead, but what the hell were characters like Flynn Fairwind doing there? Also the whole Kurog thing… like are all the guards braindead? This is one of the most politically significant events in centuries hosted by high elven high aristocratsy… groan

1 Like

I skimmed it…

If they call it a political event, “a monumental event in Azeroth’s history”, I would really have liked to have any understanding of the politics. I mean, it’s not like either elf society has some hereditary rule, so it doesn’t exactly matter, if they create mixed offspring. They can’t place mediveal importance on such unions, if they don’t leave the mechanisms in that made them important.

The faction mixing didn’t seem like a political move to me either. Golden certainly didn’t make an effort to explore the rationale for it. It felt like more a message from the devs that the old conflict is really over. It’s all peace and harmony now, and we need outside forces like Kurong, to get any tension at all. Which failed, because it was pretty stupid. Kurong had no agenda, nothing relevant to say, no explanation for being there, he was just shoved in. I was, and am still hoping for some background on him, before we raid him, but this story didn’t try to give it.

And the dragon stuff? Pretty much irrelevant. It’s to late to stir any emotion by teasing us about the Dragon Isles, when we’re playing the dragons already. I guess Wrathion being afraid of becoming like Deathwing will be build upon, but it isn’t exactly new, either, so I don’t think we needed the reminder.

1 Like

Was his milk sour? His wine stale? Was his service bad?
What did the poor guy ever do to you?
Why would you raid our beloved bartender in the Shrine of Two Moons? :cry:

No one remembers Pandaren, so I couldn’t have meant him. :wink:

1 Like

I agree largely. The story being from Wrathion’s perspective really hurts it and Christie Golden failed the show don’t tell addage, as the story was full of stuff like “Wrathion believes it’s a shrewd political maneuver to invite the Aliance” or “Wrathion thinks that Mia is a better socialite than grumpy ol’ Genn.”

eh but you hate Talanji so what do you care :stuck_out_tongue: as the topic it should have been a ingame event

I love trolls. And they get absoloutley mauled by the Horde council and their peae politics.

I think it depends how you read it.

I found it interesting and quite saddening how we learn that underneath the witty, slick demeanour, Wrathion is actually quite fragile and clearly longing for connections of his own. Alongside that, it’s a blunt reminder that black dragons still aren’t liked by your average Joe. I don’t regret reading it.

I say this as someone who has never been a fan of Golden either.

2 Likes

0 interest. The downward trend in the writing began with Golden writing that Arthas book where she inserted romance and melodrama where none was needed. After its success, it set the trend of telling stupid nonsense stories in WARcraft. This wedding? I couldn’t care less unless they all died horribly. Wrathion first.

The grave insults against the trolls continue. Wrathion is a fragile, egoistic idiot and the other Horde leaders are alliance symphatizers who throw their allies under the bus to gain the favor of the humans. Golden can die in a fire for all I care.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.