So what do they gain from the TW XP nerf excactly?

So while there is a thread for “Why” - I would rather like to ask what Blizzard as a game studio GAINS by “fixing” it? “Why” is sort of a silly question to ask since clearly it was ruled to be a bug; The TW dungeons gave you twice the amount of intended XP - But surely Blizzard can track player activity?

Within my enclosed circle of friends and Btag buddies; There was a shocking rise in WoW activity during the WoD Timewealking event a few weeks back as many used it to level up alts. I am not sure if this “bug” was present during the last timewalking event - but I know some friends of mine spoke of that they leveled with it. And if not then at least the WoD one some weeks back saw many players use it to level up - It legit pulled more people around, and now with the shockingly negative feedback to the fix; I need to ask if we will ever see it reverted as surely Blizzard gains nothing in not listening to the complaints here?

Balance related complaints will always be prevalent and I wont even touch that can of worms because I have always been under the impression that I simply can’t gauge the reasonings behind class / PvE / PvP adjustments because I don’t take the game seriously enough; but that’s all end game content where there is big rewards to be reaped; Timewalking XP only serves a purpose until cap level and surely there is no “Massive advantage” gained by being able to level faster.

Is Blizzard scared of people having too many alts? Do they fear that some people will dedicate too much time to get all the different armor mogs across all covenants in the same way they changed Torghast multiple times during the beta; Fearing and saying that it’s “Their responsibility to make sure people don’t spend too much time in Torghast” - As far as I know, this bug also did not break anything else in the game so… I just really want to know what they EARN by fixing this bug and not just leaving it as is. Where is the gain for them?

5 Likes

I did Shadowlands leveling once, and I honestly cannot force myself to go through again, and again another 12 times. So currently I play one character and ocassionally I farm old content on alts. I’d love to see other covenants’ campaigns, get some transmogs here and there, but I legit don’t want to go through the same zones in the same order (yup, leveling wherever you wanted was much more fun imo) and I heard threads of fate are actually longer than normal campaign quests.

I know, I may be remembering the campaign being super long while it’s matter of hours, but still it does not change the fact that having an alternative for leveling in the form of TW would have been great. It was a thing back in BfA - I remember going from, idk, 115/116 to 120 in couple hours.

I have no idea why they are trying so hard to make TW, I have no idea what, seriously. Right now it might be some kind of catch up (but only the weekly quest, cos the items that drop in the dungeons have like 150 ilvl?). It happens every few weeks, it’s not like it’s available all the time. It’s not like everyone who has alts will suddenly level them all up within a week. It hurts nobody if there is an option for some quick levelling every now and then.

3 Likes

Because it tells them what they don’t want to know.

The vast majority of the players think leveling is a massive chore and welcome shortcuts.

11 Likes

It feels like the general theme along these lines - Blizzard is scared people might run out of content so they add obvious throttling mechanisms. People look at this and think that if they gotta do this with goal posts costantly moving, thats not content worth pursuing and just give up before even trying. Obviously there is us, the exceptions that for some reasons are still here, but I doubt Im wrong saying we are getting fewer with time.

I recall Asmongold recently shed some light discussing the Baron Rivendare sword nerf. Like nobody cares in reality but someone like him bringing it up actually raised a lot of awareness on where their game phylosophy stands.

At least we know they can still do things quickly, shame they only do when it’s to stop people from skipping busy work

1 Like

Just when I was starting to have fun levelling alts…

Time to park them in a city and unsub soon I guess.

2 Likes

Keeping us busy/spending more time in the game.

I’m an altoholic with three chars at 60, which is the least amount of max level characters I have had in any expansion so far.

The alt/time to level issues was one of the reasons I unsubbed. Subbed again because of the TW experience I saw by coincidence on reddit.

I suppose its my own fault for believing Blizzard would let fun be a feature and not a bug.

3 Likes

Keep us tied to a sub, because grinding WQ or getting baptised by giant smurfs for the 4th time in a row is fun.

1 Like

So I wont tag all of the comments who have mentioned it so far and I am not going to edit the main post as having done so in the past has seen it just be outright removed so I will mention here that: Is really the “keeping us tied to a sub” thing a valid argument? Haven’t enough people been so verbal about unsubbing now that they stand the risk to just lose more subs over something like this? Given how “down on their leg” they are at the moment; it just seems silly to me.

2 Likes

It just kills my will to play the game tbh.

I’m starting to think they actually want people to leave the game. I haven’t touched the game in some time now due to how tedious everything is.

4 Likes

Weren’t you big defender of SL ? :stuck_out_tongue:

The only explanation I have is:

They believe they know what they want players to do.
If players are not playing the way they want than it needs to be corrected.

I’ve noticed by reading this forums they are very quick to change things, when they aren’t working as intended.
Meaning: not working as they think it should work.

It’s all about their vision, their concept.
Probably that’s more important for them than player retention.

I’m guessing tolken sales cover up for subscription losses.:frowning_face:

“WTS BOOST 51-60 leveling, whisper me for details”.

Today I had a player that had enough of boosting advertisements and wrote in /1 Shattrath:
“Stop advertising boosts for raids TW and PLAY the game.”

Cheers.

3 Likes

In season 1 it was good. Season 2 sucks.

Season 2 started off with a really bad taste in my mouth after trying to do tazavesh and the mailbox boss or w/e was bugged. I never went back after that. Likely won’t play more at all in season 2 and if they add tazavesh to m+ in season 3, I likely won’t play SL at all. Tazavesh left that bad of an impression on me, it has to be my worst experience in the game, ever.

I believe the Blizzard we once knew has been severely amputated through bureaucracy when Activision stepped into the game.

I’m convinced the typical Blizzard employee workday is riddled with KPIs and reporting up the ladder. Where the figures at the very top are religiously following the recipe that made Vanilla/TBC/Wotlk great, while at the same time being way out of touch with the current state of the game.

Timegating and “busywork” are trademarks of the older expansions, but should no longer be key ingredients to have a successful game.

2 Likes

I am honestly clueless. After all the negativity they’ve had in recent weeks this was an absolute open goal in terms of good PR and they blew it. If I was Bobby I’d be on the phone to whoever reversed it and handing them their p45.

2 Likes

What do blizzard gain? More played time, which is one of the main statistics for shareholders. They actually gain a lot for doing this financially unfortunetely.

1 Like

since they measure by MAU it doesn’t matter if you play 100h or 1h per month. If i were to log onto every blizzard game for an 1h per month but do absolutely nothing they would still count every game as an extra MAU. This nerf had nothing to do with that, this is just blizzard once again being completely out of touch with everything and thinking they will always know better despite the game being in a sad spiral of destruction.

2 Likes

No, play time does not increase by making us do a lot of crap. It makes people unsubscribe or play other games instead of playing alts.

If these are my options for the weekend:

1. Grind alt through Threads of Fate for 9 hours to get to level 60 by playing the same 4 dungeons, get burned out, and not have time for actually fun stuff because my weekend will be over by then.

OR

1. Power alt through some Timewalking dungeons that are fun because I haven’t played them in ages, taking me maybe 3 hours to get to 60, and then spend the remaining weekend on fun WoW activities (e.g. M+, Thorghast, LFR)

How is 1 better financially for Blizzard? In the medium and long term, people will just get fed up and quit because the game forces us to do so much repetitive and boring stuff in Shadowlands. The late leveling process has never been this bad in WoW.

How you can run out of content if you can easy make alts.

Honestly if it were me in charge I’d leave the time walking xp as it is or nerf it slightly and I do mean slightly.

That and now that most people have mains levelled in shadowlands anyone who has down the campaigns from 50-60 once on a character I would allow them to then choose where THEY want to level from 50-60 in.

Why can’t I go and level in Outland from 50-60? Just make it scale.
As an existing player I’m perfectly capable of doing this and then upon 60 farming some gear to get me on my end game journey…

As an MMORPG I feel like WoW punishes players now more than ever for wanting to do…well what they want to.

I see no reason as to why we can’t offer this experience to players as it’s another ten levels people who have perhaps yet to experience x zone can do so without it being a waste of time etc

2 Likes