So where do Heljas and Odyns domains go?

I mean Shadowlands is apparently the afterlife but so are the places where Odyn and Helja take their folk. How does death even work, I’m confusion.

I think most of us are confused because they just screwed their own lore. Nothing makes sense. Emerald Dream? To hell with it! Titans being actual gods? To hell with it! They’re just re-using old storylines and characters to draw players back, but they forget to put some work in the writing of the plot.

4 Likes

I don’t like it :frowning:

Your first mistake was trying to understand this crappy plot.

1 Like

I’m sure there will be people who will defend this burning train wreck of a expansion but I will not

1 Like

It’s possible that they are pocket dimensions within the Shadowlands much like “The Other Side” is.

1 Like

They went into the “Forgotten Realm”, a place full of scary things such as huge plot holes, filled with inconsistencies. That will be the next expansion and we will join Sylvanus (after she 1hit-KO Death) as she uses us as meatshields for her next 1000D chess move.

1 Like

only for Arthas to show up behind her and impale her on his ghost frostmourne ending this whole poorly written facade

Ion clearly said that there are loads of death realms in the Shadowlands, and the 5 we’ll go to are just the tip of the iceberg. Beings like Bwonsamdi have their own pocket realm, too, which we will also see - as a dungeon. So… you can assume that any death related entity’s death realm is somewhere out there,

3 Likes

See that’s his first mistake and activates her trap card! By the power of plot armor, she will not be hurt at all and instead make Arthas stab himself! What a plot twist! That is what I call a “pro gamer move”

Do you want some death with your Death? How about a topping of deAth on top of your dEath?

Ya Dwag we heard you like death so we put death in your death so you can death while you death …

with a spork

Well, I’m actually quite okay with that. I had expected them to fully demystify death, when we go to the Shadowlands… but this is a compromise solution. We see some versions of life after death. But there are more out there, so you really can’t be sure what would happen to your character any more than before.

Apart from that… I like the variety the different death realms bring in terms of optics. Shadowlands look like a much less dreary and monotone place than I feared.

don’t think too much about lore.

Dude… having people go smash sh’t in the afterlife with swords and hammers is the definition of demystifying death.

Well… yeah, but it could have been much worse, and I expected much worse. We only smash stuff in a little part of an infinite universe of death.

I can use an axe, I suppose?

Wasn’t Odyn Halls of Valor based on Elemental Planes that Titans created (at least in terms of “technology” used in it)? So in other words, Odyn being so full of himself as he is, had his most trusted sidekick (Heyla) “hack” the whole process of mortals passing on the other side and instead have his Val’kyr collect specific souls before they make it and instead keeps them in his own private plane of existence.

Also not all souls go to the Shadowlands. Souls devoured by the void don’t go to there probably. Once consumed they either cease to exist or are trapped in void realm leaving only an echo behind (Dark Naaru in Nagrand for example). Or those consumed and sacrificed in fel rituals, they are stuck in constant agony and pain somewhere (in a Soul Shard perhaps?).

But overall afterlife is a terrible choice for story just as timetravel is. Unless authors put absurd amounts of time to have all the rules and explenations set and never break them, they will end with self contradicting mess full of plot-holes. And even if they do go through proper setup of said theme in most cases it will be still lack-luster and oversimplifed.

2 Likes

Yeah and I think they may add more “death realms” as patches go by…