Solo Shuffle Update - 6 January

So you don’t think there are shuffles where people get the deadweight on their team several times in a row, and leave because of that? That everybody stays calculated and goes “in X amount of rounds I’ll be the one facing that deadweight and then I’ll be guaranteed rating!!”?

As for “being punished”, that’s a natural part of solo queues, to get lucky or unlucky with matchups. Yes, it’s what they’ve tried to amend with the shuffle format, but they can’t leave it as it is now and if they go with your idea then it’ll further mess with the (in)accuracy of the rating system. Which is a bigger deal than you seem to give it credit for.

As for the existence of deadweights to begin with, can rather be attributed to the failure of the matchmaking system as a whole. The effects of streaks in the shuffle format is too aggressively tuned, and it’s shooting players up rating-wise too far and too fast for their own good sometimes.
Let’s also not forget the parameters being increased so often, due to time spent in queues for players.
In simpler terms, people who shouldn’t meet, end up meeting way too often. Which is a consequence of much deeper issues. Which can only be solved in the game’s core design.

But preventing the rating system from doing its job, won’t help anybody in the long run.

In statistically relevant cases? No, I absolutely do not think so.
I have never experienced this.

Yes, people do understand their team changes and they will be facing the people they played against. I’ve had several comments actually “finally playing with you” / “finally not playing with the feral” and stuff like that.

How?

1. no it’s not natural part, since teams are changing
  2. no it’d fix inaccuracies, because no longer would it be up to random team assignation with leavers

Except for the part about giving out rating gains and losses based on rounds not even played, then sure.

Except it isn’t random since only counting rounds played means it’s only judging what has been played, ergo it remains accurate (as much as it can be). Your performance wasn’t good enough to get a win with the deadweight.

And what makes you think people won’t be upset about losing rating from rounds they didn’t even get a chance to play? Hm?

One person forfeited those rounds by leaving. If you leave single arena match in 3v3, you also lose it and enemies gain rating as if they won it, despite it not being played till finish. That’s generally the rule. You forfeit, you lose.
Yes, you make other people lose too, by extension, but if you played it and play badly, you’d lose anyway, so technically you can forfeit the rounds for them while still being at the keyboard, so I don’t see any extra issue with forfeiting it for them while you’re away from the keyboard.

1. I proposed more accurate resolution.
  2. It’s random. This is like you saying “except dice roll isn’t random, since you’re just counting the points after the toss of the dice”.
    Whoever got the leaver first and lost matches with him, was at the bad end of the luck. I already told you, you didn’t address it. Why? Because it disproves your whole point.

They may be. But they may as well be upset about losing a round with all people present just by them playing badly.

Repeat tend to have bad winrate. They tend to leave knowing, they’d lose rest.
Blizzard’s system proposes griefing.
If a person is bad, he cannot really grief somebody, since he struggles to attain victories in first place. But he can grief one person easily by having 0-3 and then leave and make them lose rating. Just by not playing 3 extra rounds he would lose anyway, which would fix the winrate.

It needs to be counted as if leaver lost every following round to stop griefing and to be more fair and less luck-based (on whoever got the leaver first).

The only downside would be when there’d be a 6-0 person who would’ve given 3 wins to one healer and then leave and the other healer would not have wins because he left.
But

1. Players with positive winratio leaving would
  2. He can grief the other healer by playing badly, so it’d not stop him from ruining it for other healer either.

Making system that is garbage in most cases just to stop something that is unstopable anyway and deciding rating based on luck-assigned matchups is bad.

It needs to be counted as if leaver lost every following round he’d play. Possibly scaled down to how many matches were actually played.

Under current leaver mechanics? Sure. They’d have to work hard just to break even, or face losing points. When they can instead reset and wait for a new match that still has opportunity to gain points.
But after the leaver bans start? lolno, it’ll just be losers ragequitting after that really

Math won’t tend to play out that way. As those losses would obv go to the players who had already gotten the wins off the liability. Most likely outcome is 3-3 matches for everyone but the leaver. (welcome to healer’s hell lol).
But I prefer letting the rest of the matches play out in some fashion.
Either way, I fear Blizz’s intended solution is the least desirable.

1 Like

Just because one gets 0/6, it doesn’t mean everyone else would get 3/6 every time, but anyway, let’s continue that line of thought then.
So by going with that kind of system, barring the odd cases where people get plus or minus rating from 3 wins, your ideal solution is to… not change the rating at all when someone abandons? Since 3 wins and 3 losses is what’s most likely going to end up with ±0 rating, as in “Rating unchanged”, and you’d be back to the way it’s been until now, with people thinking it’s just a huge waste of time.

What has been played must count, and you can’t add what hasn’t been played just to spare hurting people’s egos. Or else you end up causing more problems. The only real fair way, is to stay true to the mission of a rating system.

Hey Kaivax,

when I look at the screenshot of how the scoreboard will look like, I hope the rating calculation there was just an example and not of how it will really be?

The healer who won 4 rounds with a mmr of 1777 and a rating of 1356 got +384 to be 1740cr after. The dps who won 5 rounds with a mmr of 1797 and a rating of 1517 got only +120 to be at 1637 cr after.

Makes no sense to me. Higher mmr and more rounds won, but end up being 103 cr below the healer who was 161 cr below before?

1 Like

Give me a good reason for not rolling out the entire fix alrdy? U can’t can you? And how does uh dk dodge the nerf bullet? And why do i not have 5000x auto casted lay on hands to heal the burst? And retribution gets more BURST?!?!?!? WHAAAAAAAT?

Let’s not, as I am not advocating that system, I want the matches to play out regardless of leavers.

Yeah, as a healer we see more 3-3 matches than anyone already, and I’d still prefer even more of this waste-of-time outcome than an obv griefible mechanic.

This is probably your only decent point.

1. It doesn’t apply to healers. If healer leaves, then the other healer would have 6-0 (and fairly, because the other healer, his only competitior, conceded all matches).
  2. They could have gotten few points (but you’re right, not many).
  3. Loser can still have 1-2 or 1-3 before leaving, meaning somebody might be able to get actually 4 wins or so.

hey guys, seems like the new update is already live.
Had a game and someone was leaving, he got -170 and my group received/loss points for win/loses of the previous rounds

Nice !!

There is no blue post for that ?!

yeah I haven’t seen anything as well… but it is implemented, I had two solo shuffles now with leavers … so they get around -170 rating and additionally -150 for leaving? or is it just -170 and MMR lose as well?

I’m just getting more and more convinced that you need to remove the interrupt from other healers or give priests an interrupt the more that I try to play solo shuffle. They can just run after you and stop you from casting while they can cast freely right next to you without having to be scared of an interrupt.

And oh, you also need to pretty much DESTROY evokers mana in arena. They need to actually be able to go oom.

The updates above both went live early this morning.

2 Likes

I’m happy to hear you are working on Solo Shuffle. We’ll see how your proposed fix works against leavers, I think it might not be enough and they should get account wide deserter affecting PvE and PvP. We’ll see.

I was correct, now that it is implemented, what I’ve described literally happened to me the first game.

This needs to be recalculated as if leaver lost every following round. Not just matches played. Otherwise it’s unfair to whoever got the leaver first.

Nerf unholy dk, buff Frost dk, nerf elememtal shaman, buff enha shaman, nerf preservation evoker, buff holy pala, nerf resto druid, buff Fire mage, nerf feral druid.
I solved all problems for now, you welcome

Also now its even worse with leavers. I played 3 rounds, won 1 loss 2, guy left and I got minus cr. There has to be higher restriction and system that can recognize if you left arena or you got disconnected. So if you leave on purpose you get title of shame next to your name that you cannot change till end of season.

30 minute queue times is a much bigger problem than leavers, we’re still waiting for a fix.