Spec for New PC for Gaming thoughts

If you want 3440x1440 at 144Hz or 4K at 60+Hz then you need something that is 2-3x faster than Vega 64 :wink: If you want WoW on such settings then 3080 would actually be loaded in some of the new zones.

Yes, there is big / apocalyptic / monstrous difference between 1080p requirements and “PC master race” setups (that’s why I started testing at 1080p and 3440x1440).

We didn’t really recommended 4K but those ultrawides that are way more practical - in WoW and not only. And way cheaper than any fast 4K panel. 3440x1440 is 60% of 4K while that extreme 5120x1440 is 90% of 4K. Even Xiaomi launched cheap but very good 144Hz ultrawides :slight_smile:

To be fair, 1440p is the new standard these days as 1440p panels are becoming really cheap, even the 120hz or above. 1080p has moved on really.

But it’s true on what else you use your machine for as well. Some games will require a good mid-range to high range card to play. Other programs like a fast graphics card for dealing with 3D work and/or video encoding. Same goes for having a processor that does a fair bit of that to reduce the times waiting. Hence High end Ryzen and Threadrippers excel in these tasks.

If really into 3D work though, threadripper is way to go while not the best gaming processors out there, they still do the job while offering you blistering speed on waiting for something to render. So much that you could make 3D modelled movies considering the amount of time it takes to do a frame.

The only intel processor released was done on the quiet and it’s a new i3 10300, 4 core, 8 thread and is set for bargin builds. So roles have pretty much reversed now with the red and blue camps.

Which could make motherboards on intel side become cheaper without the best parts being used like it was on amd.

The thing with ultrawides is that it’s going to add a lot of pixels that you’re going to hit the same performance of 2K, 3K and 4K so a good graphics card is going to be needed to keep the frame rate up.

Well, I am back it’s built and it feels bloody fantastic this was in my view worth the wait and I am so far totally in shock and awe and how stupidly fast this machine is.

I am dead pleased with it and not done gaming yet still allowing downloads and so on to be done for drivers and other things but even just using Windows has opened my eyes a lot. This screen might take some time to get used to but I love how different the machine feels. The successor to my old rig is now annotated.

Update: Well gave it 11 days to get my head around the huge changes and it’s been fantastic. I mean I can run Doom Eternal on it with Ultra Nightmare settings and there is nothing slowing it down at all it just breezes along nicely. I now know that yes indeed a lot has changed since I bought my last machine and to be honest it’s a bit of a shock too but this thing just keeps on giving in what it can do.

Some of the other new games I have bought look stunning ramped up it makes me stop when playing and just look around at what I see in the way of visuals and remind myself I built it. What is also interesting I did a little retcon on what the spec I choose to have would cost if it was pre-built and it was way out of my price bracket which was something that I was happy to know.

I am extremely happy to be owning such a thing. Feels fantastic.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.