Spec for New PC for Gaming thoughts

I am due to replace my old workhorse with a new rig having researched it for some months this what I concluded I would get and self build.

Motherboard: [ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) ATX Motherboard, AMD Socket AM4, Ryzen 3000, 16 Power Stages PCIe 4.0, M.2, DDR4, OptiMem III, Wi-Fi 6 (802.11 ax), 2.5G LAN, Intel LAN, USB 3.2, Aura Sync RGB]
Ram: 2x * [G.Skill DIMM 32GB DDR4-3600 Kit Memory F4-3600C18D-32GTZN Trident Z]

GPU : * [ASUS ROG STRIX AMD Radeon RX 5700XT Overclocked 8G GDDR6 HDMI DisplayPort Gaming Graphics Card (ROG-STRIX-RX5700XT-O8G-GAMING)]
PSU : * [ASUS ROG Strix 1000W Gold PSU]
CPU Cooling: * [ASUS ROG Strix LC 240 All-in-One Liquid CPU Cooler with Aura Sync RGB and Dual ROG 120 mm Radiator
Case: ASUS ROG Strix Helios RGB ATX/EATX Mid, Tower Gaming Case with Tempered Glass, Aluminium Frame, GPU Braces, 420 mm Radiator Support and Aura Sync
CPU [AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Processor (8C/16T, 36 MB Cache, 4.5 GHz Max Boost)]
Main storage: ADATA XPG S40G 1TB RGB M.2 Internal Solid State Drive Gaming-SSD Hard Disk, black, AS40G-1TT-C
Secondary Storage 2x * [ADATA Ultimate SU800 2TB Solid State Drive (SSD), black]
Light Controller: ASUS ROG AURA Terminal with Four-Port Addressable RGB Controller with ROG Halo and Aura Sync
Screen: [ASUS ROG STRIX Curved XG32VQ, 32 Inch (31.5 Inch) WQHD (2560 x 1440), VA, Up to 144 Hz, 125% sRGB, DP, HDMI, FreeSync, AuraSync]
Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate - Wireless Gaming Mouse with 11 Programmable Buttons (HyperSpeed Technology, Optical Focus + Sensor, Optical Mouse Switch, Chroma RGB Lighting) with Charging Station

That’s all of it I know it is overkill for just WoW alone but I intend to use it for other games as well but if anyone has any experience of building such a monster I would appreciate the input I am a competent computer builder as in a hobbyist as a past time but this will be my first self build for self. I do not expect to start the build till towards the end of this month.

Ryzen 3800 is good but in like a month new generation hits shops and it will be inferior to that.

As for the GPU - what games are you planning to play as RX 5700XT is being replaced by newer generation of cards this year so in a month or two it will be worth much less.

1 Like

My old machine is 9 years old it was starting to fail on me and I get your point but to me it’s a huge step up and that to me is what matters. I do not need the complete bleeding edge. Thanks for input. :slight_smile:

In a month/two that setup will be way cheaper to buy or for same money you will be able to buy way more performance. Today is really bad day for PC buying :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well yeah but I’m happy with it so really all that matters to me. I also have other uses for it as well as WoW it will be a workhorse of sorts. And hell it’s a new toy for me at any rate.

The Ryzen 5800 will be out in shops on 20th of October. According to some reports, they are being announced on the 8th October with the Ryzen 5000 series being 5600-5900.

Having a X570 motherboard is fine in using these new processors.

This will bring down prices on the 3000 series and people should wait until then and see what price drops happen with 3rd Gen Ryzen’s.

1 Like

Thanks but I have been using my current machine for nearly 9 years what I have bought is a huge step up for me personally and I am happy to know the new motherboard will have the ability to have some more CPU upgrades.

Looks like X570 is still the main motherboard that’ll support Ryzen 5000 series.

And they’ve really improved on single core performance making it better than Intel’s 10th Gen so really making the Ryzen 5900X and 5950X the processor to get for WoW.

Seems their 7nm was saved to the last before moving to 5nm. A decent B550 or X570 board, PCIE4.0 NVME drive and one of these processors should easily breeze through Shadowlands and next expansion or two after.

Why get the 5900X? 12 cores will be wasted for only WoW… an 8core will be fine and much cheaper and marginaly slower judging by the difference from the 3700x to 3900x.

3300X as a single CCX CPU with good OC RAM was super strong in WoW so single CCX 5000 series can be really really good.

That CPU is basically non-existant in Germany here :smiley:

I mentioned the 5000 series as they did huge improvements on the single core which WoW takes more use of even today. But how much is unknown until someone does a benchmark in real world setting of i9-10900k vs R9 5900X.

That should be interesting if AMD managed to get back to being ahead in single core performance as they did with Ahtlon K7 1.4ghz and AMD64 processors.

Because the yields are to good. It was a one-off from stashed defective dies.

HardwareNumbers on YouTube and I’ll be publishing SL benchmarks very soon. Overview in upcoming days while big-boys GPU and CPU when I get access to them. As for IPC this isn’t a key parameter for WoW performance on Zen. Latency, memory and it timings are. IPC is still good to have but that single CCX will be most important.

Just want to clarify this is not for just WoW I do a lot more things outside of it as a game and my old machine is having some real issues now and is way past it’s best as well. I am well aware that wow runs on an old engine with poor utilization of the cores in a multicore setup but I also have an extensive steam library and so on and some of those games on that are now making this old machine crash and lock up and it’s for at least me time to end it’'s time in a dignified manner.

I also have some sentimental reasons for building it as well which I will not disclose here.

Thirdly the other reason I have undertaken this is to take my mind off the madness in the real world and to have a machine that can run games well and leave me fully immersed without sudden issues with system loads overheating and so on. Given that the motherboard has the potential to take on a new CPU if I should need to upgrade it I am more than happy to be getting it.

That is all that matters to me. Again thank you for the input.

2 Likes

Yeah, getting a B550 or X570 motherboard even with a 3000 Ryzen you have option to move to the 5000 series later on if need be.

But Ryzen 5000 is the last AM4 CPU.

No doubt in 2021 we’ll start to get snippets here and there on the AM5 socket, which means DDR5 ram, USB4 support, WiFi6 as standard and possibly 5Gbit and 10Gbit ethernet connections on board.

Planning on moving from Zen+ to Zen3 myself. Think there’s a huge increase in performance gains by doing that. Which’ll keep me going until 2022-2023 where I can get whatever Ryzen is out then.

2 Likes

In the context of “new PC” I have a first batch of Shadowlands (beta) benchmarks ready:

https://rk.edu.pl/en/world-warcraft-shadowlands-beta-benchmarks/

1 Like

last week i bought a xiaomi 34" ultrawide btw, 3440x1440 144hz VA for €385. stupid good value. you were right, ultrawide is fantastic both for gaming (in games that allow it - overwatch just zooms you in for competitive integrity reasons) and general desktop use.

really immersive and cool, and outside of games it’s now comfortable to have two browser windows side by side. second monitor just kinda ends up hanging out a lot more, mostly used for watching something in fullscreen or for browsing while a game is open.

low refresh still sucks though. :slight_smile: especially now that you can get high refresh ultrawides at this low of a price point.

And super-ultrawide displays are getting popular too. They tend to required wide rooms though :smiley:

That’s becoming the gold standard now and prices are going down :slight_smile:

not so sure about 5120x1440 quite yet. probably very cool in gaming, and double 27" 1440p monitors on the desktop is handy, but you’re kind of incapable of having a second monitor because it’ll be so far away. if you run it in pbp mode you don’t get the wider aspect ratio plus your “main screen” isn’t in the middle. maybe if you mount a second monitor above or something.

The biggest problem with hardware upgrade recommendations for WoW is that the waters are muddied by other things that players do with their machines… or the capabilities of what newer hardware gets shown to be able to do.

Take nVidia 30-series graphics cards; their 4K (or better) performance is a strong feature that WoW doesn’t justify the expense of to everyone.

A fair expectation is that 1080p ‘high refresh rate’ be the benchmark for a good proportion of the playerbase, with 1440p ‘high refresh rate’ being a fair aspiration.

I cannot honestly see that 4K ‘high refresh rate’ is a practical/economic situation for any player that ONLY plays WoW… if WoW is a game that is within a catalogue of regularly played games, that justify expenditure on “4K/120+” level hardware in their own right, then fair enough.