Split personality Priest

I want to start a priest. To justify that they use both shadow and holy magic I want them to have a sort-of split personality. Think of the Hulk. Default is the law-abiding, friendly priest that walks in the light and the hidden personality worships void and shadow. When in danger the shadow personality takes over and protects them both.

Maybe the priest had a twin before they were born, but something went wrong during the childbirth. Their parents prayed to the light to save their children, but it was the void that answered. And void having a twisted sense of humor it did save both souls but they had to share one body.

Thoughts? Any races that this would work best lore-wise? Maybe one that has both light and shadow priest?

1 Like

Humans and Dark Iron Dwarves have both priests and void priests.

With slight tweaks to the backstory here and there for some of the cases, I think any race that is not strongly attuned to either the shadow or holy magic would work. As of opinion on the idea itself… it’s a bit snowflakey in my opinion and I am not that big of a fan personally, but there’s nothing lorebending about it, I think. If you like the concept and want to go for it, you’re free to.

This isn’t necessary at all. The Discipline spec is all about mastery of the self to balance these opposing forces via supreme willpower.

Characters played as two different personalities aren’t received well in most roleplaying contexts given a long history of being abused by players who don’t wish to face consequences for what the bad personality does. I strongly advice against it.

You’re onto something here. A character who hides who they truly are is interesting. A closeted cultist of the old gods putting up a respectable front as a kindly priest existed in lore.

Light and Void do not operate like this as divine agents that interfere. They’re not gods but cosmic forces responsible for creating the universe that we know. Elune is described as a true goddess who does meddle but the lore around it is deliberately foggy.

Nice idea OP.
What about possession? Perhaps your priest is a devout follower of the light who developed a sort of “Mr. Hyde” personality as a result of too much contact with the shadow/void.

Spoilers

This could even be a compulsion left oveThis text will be hiddenr by
Xal’atath for the priest to find her in Stormsong Valley

Let me know how it plays out :smile:

I, or rather, my characters, would probably shun a character that seemed to have such a mental disorder; Our characters in WoW, while the RP consensus is that none of us are the hero, are trained soldiers or spellcasters. Neither I nor my characters would feel comfortable or safe around such an individual with a mental disorder.

If it literally was two actual personalities, like with the twin story you mentioned, it would - perhaps ironically - freak me less out :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.