Splitting my battle.net account

I had merged two WoW accounts into one battle.net account a very long time ago, and I typically keep subscription on the one WoW account, while the other WoW account is occasionally used by my son and not in a while. I would like to split the two WoW accounts so that he can log in to his own battle.net / WoW - is that possible? I just read somewhere that says that it is possible only if merging accounts, so I am confused.

It looks like it’s a one way deal

Account consolidations are not reversible

World of Warcraft

Each Blizzard account supports up to eight World of Warcraft accounts. We can move a World of Warcraft game account to another Blizzard account if all accounts are registered to the same account holder. These moves are not reversible, and some accounts are not eligible.

2 Likes

that’s just silly company policy, if it was his underage child that now grew up and can have his own account why not?

5 Likes

You wouldn’t usually put a child’s account on your own battle net. You set them up with their own account and add parental controls. That’s what I did with my son when he was young.

https://eu.battle.net/account/parental-controls/index.html

3 Likes

It is a family account, has been used by other members of the household including myself many times. Let’s leave the preaching for how underage children should play, I agree with the comment of the poster above, there is no good reason for this rule considering that:

1. A common battle.net account with multiple WoW accounts still requires all the expansions to be purchased individually and separately, and all subscriptions to be paid separately, for each WoW account that you wish to use.

2. Families and cohabitants do split over time, for example, say your girlfriend moves out on you, she’d want her own account back and separate.

3. I can see the problems of splitting shared mounts and heirlooms and pets etc, and this is something I did not consider before, but am sure a compromise could be found that would be less harmful than having to level multiple characters again on a new account.

3 Likes

The thing is you are not supposed to be sharing a bnet account to begin with. Account sharing is by all intends and purposes forbidden by Blizzard regardless if the people sharing it are family or not. I know a lot off people still do it though, even me and my brother, and Blizzard have no real urge to punish such cases, but “technically” we are not allowed to do that. As far as splitting accounts go my guess would be that there is no way to separate and distribute all the bnet account-wide stuff like mounts, achievements, toys, looms, mogs, etc.

If the this is the issue you want to overcome then I believe there is a paid service that lets you transfer specific characters to other accounts. Not sure if those accounts have to be on the same bnet account though.

Edit: According to this it should be possible. You have to create a new bnet account under the same owner name as the existing one and then you can transfer characters to the new one.

I did not preach to anyone. I replied to Retributor about children’s accounts and how you can control them as a parent without the need for account sharing. There are some very nice controls available to parents.

You should not share your account with your girlfriend etc. You can share your account with one minor if you are the parent or guardian but that is the only exception.

Providing the surname and address etc on both accounts are the same you can transfer characters between battle net accounts, however you can’t transfer the game licence over. It would mean buying BfA again or just playing up to Legion on a subcription basis.

Character Transfer

Updated: 2 months ago

Article ID: 34787

Relevant Games:

The Character Transfer service allows you to move characters to other realms, different World of Warcraft accounts, or from one Blizzard account to another. You can purchase a Character Transfer on the World of Warcraft in-game shop. Each type of transfer has a shared three-day cooldown. World of Warcraft Classic characters cannot be transferred.

This service takes up to 24 hours to complete. If you log in before the transfer is complete, it may fail and your character will be locked.

If you also selected a faction change, please review the Faction Change effects.

If you are looking for information about free migration, please review the Free Character Migration Eligibility and Limitations.

Select the type of transfer you want to purchase.

• Blizzard Account

Blizzard Account Limitations

In addition to the realm limitations:

• Your character’s name is locked for 30 days.
  • You will need to select a new name if your name is taken on the destination realm, or if you transfer to the same realm you are currently on.
  • Both accounts must be registered under the same name.
  • Items in the Collections tab are account-bound, and will not transfer to a different Blizzard account. Pets or mounts associated with a character-specific achievement will transfer, but only for the character that unlocked the achievement.
  • Character-specific achievements will transfer to the new account, but most other achievements won’t.
  • PvP Arena ratings may change after transferring to a new realm. This can affect end-of-season rewards if you transfer before they are sent.
  • Your Honor level will not transfer with your character.
  • Your user interface settings will not transfer to the new account.
  • Characters are not able transfer to another realm for 30 days after an account transfer.
  • In-game friend and ignore lists are reset after transferring to a different Blizzard account.
1 Like

Well yes, but this is also very harmful as you pay for each separate character. Unless I am understanding something wrong.

Thanks for the pointers. However Blizzard’s T&Cs are not law in any country.

I do not understand that, will I be allowed to move all the characters in an account in one go, I do not think such a service exists.

Anyway we have beaten this subject to death, I now understand the short answer is no, you cannot un-merge accounts for free, and only if you pay per character you can perhaps do a transfer, and even then the account names must match…

You have agreed to the terms of service, you agreed to adhere to their rules and what their contract lays out when you press that button stating you have read and agree. If you breach the conditions of the agreement they can remove your account from you. That is legal, that is the law.

There is no mass move option at present, you’d have to select each character and carry out the transaction and pay the costs for each transfer.

1 Like

puny i think you have good intentions but you’re being an unpaid paralegal in this thread for a multibilion $ company…this poor guy is victim to stupid t+cs that should allow room for flexibiltity (if he can prove what he claims to blizz)

2 Likes

I’ve provided factual information. Most find facts helpful.

You disagree with the terms and conditions, I’ve not given my opinion on them. I have shown what Blizzard has on their FAQs to explain what is and isn’t permitted and how things work.

There are actions that can’t be undone, like account merges. I didn’t make the rules, I don’t run the systems. I just passed on the information that was requested.

1 Like

I was not questioning your motives, only your use of the word “legal” and “law”. This is no “law”, a law is a piece of legislation voted by parliament. You cannot use the wording “legal” or “illegal” to describe breaches of contract or non adherence to T&Cs between two parties.

PS. I am no legal expert and my opinion should not be taken as advice, do your own research.

1 Like

They can legally take your account away from you. That is legal and right by law.

You seem to be confusing criminal offences with what is or is not legal.

A contract is legally binding in law. Should a person break the terms and conditions of a contract, they have the legal right to terminate it, or suspend your account.

1 Like

There is criminal law and then there is civil law. You cannot use the words “illegal” for something which is not law. T&Cs are not law, and whoever does not adhere to the T&Cs is not breaking the law, is not “illegal”. For example you may get in to work late, thus breaching your contract of employment, but you are not breaking any law, and no one would call our action “illegal”.

Is English your first language?

2 Likes

I never used the word illegal, you did.

1 Like

Hi Deanuella!

The situation with a parent/child account is a very specific one. My suggestion for you here is opening a ticket with support, explaining your request. A Game Master will let you know of your choices here.

Everyone else, thank you for your insights on this one.

Cheers

2 Likes

Illegal means against the rules, I cannot be arrested for making an illegal move in chess, yet they are breaking the chess rules, not a countries laws.

You seem to be mistaking unlawful with illegal.

A ticket is the only way to deal with this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.