[SPOILERS] Patch 8.3 Thread (Visions of N'zoth)

Sooo, any update about those who kept their Gift of N’zoth?

Because I want to know if I should get rid of that damn crown or not xD

1 Like

You and me both. There are ingame toys that remove the eye’s visual appearance without removing it entirely, but that gets old really quickly.

1 Like

Have we got the vulp recruitment quest yet anywhere? I know we see snippets of the mechagnome one.

as far as I know we’re unfortunately still on a solid zero

I think there’s only been snippets of broadcast text that could be part of vulpera joining. Someone calling Kiro very cool and based for selflessly helping the Horde

On the PTR, is it possible to create the new allied races if you haven’t met the reputation/quest requirements yet? Wondering if I should bother downloading the PTR or not.

This is probably the post you’ve made that I agree with least

The point isn’t any specific character / leader but a theme / aesthetic. I don’t know about other Forsaken enthusiasts but for me Sylvanas OOC / is incredibly tertiary. I like the character but what I’m invested in is the Forsaken retaining their scheming, plotting and even overtly evil ways. Throwing a character that (as far as we know) is completely at odds with that throws that off balance - it takes a dynamic people find interesting and instead says “this race just needs a lovely mummy character to make them nice =P”

When somebody makes the evil undead race, the chances are they want to play an evil undead character instead of playing something entirely different. If every race is reverted to the exact same morality, there will be very little nuance or conflict to explore in RP

Saying buzzwords like “dude … it will simply allow you to explore some new epic character progression” is basically meaningless. If they replaced the leader of the Frostwolf Clan with a guy who loved to torture/kill the elements and said that now the Frostwolf Clan hates shamanism / the traditional hunter gatherer shtick and this leader is widely beloved & accepted I think people would be similarly cheesed off. It’s easy to say “actually, [roleplay I have no investment in] is really positively changed by [goofy change]” from the sidelines. Character progress isn’t intrinsically a good thing if the story it’s telling isn’t compelling - and do you personally think that this Calia thing is going to be really well done? I mean I think we’ve both read Before the Storm…

Because characters that are peaceful and sacrifice advantages for honour end up winning 99% of the time in this setting and are just more successful. Like Gazlowe is played off as this guy who cares about worker’s rights and pays way more than Gallywix but also remains competitive in terms of wealth. Where’s the weight to his character? He’s just another “I’m so nice … =P … and everything’s going right for me” pastiche of Anduin. If you say this is the effect of characters realising that through being nice/honourable/sacrificial & playing the protagonist they will eventually succeed have the WoW character cast achieved CHIM :tm: and realise they’re in a video game or something? I hope based Kirkblade writes it …

If all characters slowly drift towards that archetype what exactly is the draw of the story? 5 guys agreeing with each other about how being nice is honourable and how being honourable is good? That’s zzz

I want to live in your realities where all the world leaders exhibit values of honour, justice, kindness, mercy and charity

16 Likes

This…

Looks at real world leaders

Doesn’t age well at all.

1 Like

yeah u can make them instantly no matter what

1 Like

I just hope they add the Emissary buff before the patch goes live. And make Rustbolt have an emissary quest. Because rep grind is ANNOYING

tee bee entirely H there’s no excuse to not have Revered by now at least, and from there it’s easy to just do the WQ daily until you hit exalted. You’ll get there well before 8.3 launches.

Unless there is something I’m forgetting / didn’t see yet, that’s not really what’s happening with Calia. Her being brought in as the new leader for the Forsaken doesn’t necessarily have to change the character of the Forsaken as a whole. They are not (again, as far as I know) changing who the Forsaken are, but instead highlighting a different facet of being undead.

Your ability to play a scheming, plotting or overtly evil character isn’t hurt by the change in type of leadership. The only real change is that now you have a racial leader that puts the validity of being like that into question. Personally I like that some extra nuance is put into what it means to be Forsaken, especially with her being a Menethil herself. I thought it was a shame that the concept of the Listeners and the Desolate Council were something that was only used in one book. It’s always a good thing when the different races aren’t shown as some monolithic mass with a singular set of values.

Of course there is the potential of this being done in a dumb and terrible way. I personally don’t have much faith in Blizzard’s ability to tell a compelling story. Still, if we write off any new changes as automatically being terrible just because they are new we might as well just all play Classic instead.

6 Likes

yeah I’m hyped for Nathanos, King of Stormwind.

I mean we don’t know what will happen but unless Blizzard does an instant 360 it will be what I described

Sure we can pretend there might be some really cool / crazy turnaround but has that ever happened in a satisfying way in this game’s story?

That’s not what I’m saying

I am talking about the theme / in-universe culture of a race which is something very different

Like you could have played a Light-fearing pro-Alliance undead while Sylvanas was around, right?

I think you know that none of that will actually come to pass in-game

True though it wasn’t an enjoyable book for me

[night elf sentinels walk up to lilian voss and say … thank you for bringing our new queen … we need guidance …]

yea … lol !

Have you read Before the Storm?

Yeah they should do this. It would lead to so much progress

2 Likes

REEEEEEEEEEEE

I’m willing to give Blizzard another chance, but this was really, really anoyying D:<

2 Likes

End of BFA, Nathanos raises his bow towards a gathering of Night Elves, Forsaken and Worgen.

" AZEROTH IS FREE! "

1 Like

In fact I will also add that the existence of light-based reanimation detracts from the Forsaken’s theme in a pretty big way for me

Dude … haha … you didn’t need to have been forsaken … just used the wrong magic bro … there’s a type of undeath without any downsides …

6 Likes

You can not kill hope.

And the history of the Forsaken still remains unchanged. All the things that made the Forsaken into these evil/scheming people is still there. The concentration camps in Hillsbrad are still part of Forsaken culture as much as bombing Gilneas with lots and lots of blight. There is only a change in focus away from portraying the Forsaken culture as a simple monolithic entity.

Been there, done that.

Agree with that though, especially since it also puts into question all the different kinds of reanimation spells we have. Basically just Blizz writers haphazardly crossing the streams of necromancy and divine magic.

I’ve read Before the Storm …

[becomes instantly redeemed as one simple monolithic entity by the good guy leader character]

That’s my point

You can always play an outlier character, but I’m talking about the standard culture of a race ie. before recently the generic Forsaken was a guy who wore purple & loved Sylvanas / killing Alliance / probably wasn’t fond of Light magic

What is considered normal in a fantasy culture has a huge impact on the RP / theme / story

Yeah IDK where it can possibly lead that isn’t just 100% lightforged to roleplay out

3 Likes

And what the generic Forsaken guy would still not have changed. Of course Blizzard is going to put a spotlight on Forsaken who do follow the new lead by Calia so you are going to see lots of NPC text saying “We love Calia!”. Afterall they have to somehow justifiy her being in a leadership position. But if you buy into the realness of the world (of warcraft) then you will also have to assume that the worldview of all the generic forsaken guys didn’t change by 180 degrees over night.

Basically what I’m trying to say is that you shouldn’t judge the Forsaken culture simply by the newest leaks and think they are now absolutely representive of what the average forsaken joe is thinking. I think you get to a more satisfying result by taking everything into account when judging what Forsaken culture would be like. Sadly Blizzard is pretty bad at giving comprehensive overviews over any race’s culture, so I believe that this is even the only way to get anywhere close to guessing what a race’s culture is.

1 Like