!Spoilers! Timeskip :o

Nooo my boy Lorthemar!
Why u do dis? hehe!

Lor’themar Theron says: Several years have passed quietly since our forces returned from the shadowlands.
First Arcanist Thalyssra says: Indeed. We were fortunate to have even a brief respite from the usual perils and tribulations.
First Arcanist Thalyssra says: Otherwise, you might have come up with an excuse to refuse my proposal.
Lor’themar Theron says: Your proposal? I am quite certain it was I who begged for your hand in marriage, Thalyssra.
First Arcanist Thalyssra says: Lor’themar Theron! You are such a creature of duty that you would have delayed our wedding over a crooked painting in Silvermoon.
First Arcanist Thalyssra says: How fortunate I am that both our kingdoms witnessed our vows. Else you might try to deny that we ever exchanged them.

2 Likes

I am curious if this time skip will be reflected in the actual world in any meaningful way, or if each expansion is stuck in its own respective temporal bubble. Maybe we won’t see anything in Dragonflight, but maybe we could see a revamped Azeroth in the future where all the zany developments over the years will be addressed and, hopefully, buried.

Until anything except some easily changable dialogue hinges on the time skip happening, I don’t believe it will. There is no novel coming before the addon, no announced lorebook that could bridge the gap, no world remake to look for, and the dragon isles plot seems to be quite self-contained. There is no way at all to fill in the time between the skip. If I am to assume that either they are doing a brainless time skip for the lulz, or that alpha is just being alpha, giving us dialogue that might not make it live out of its development context, I’ll assume the latter.

2 Likes

Both the alliance and horde now have timeskip dialog.
and we did miss something…
THE WIDDING, BOI!!!
I hope I was invited.

1 Like

same. i ran that stupid gauntlet tunnel like a bajillion times & spent ages handing out arcwine to bagheads in Suramar. if my dude wasn’t at the wedding i will fill silvermoon with fal’dorei eggs.

also why is thalyssra & lorthemar’s in-game dialogue always so janky when they’re talking about their relationship lol

Actually a quest chain for restoring/rebuilding the half-ruined part of Silvermoon in order to celebrate their wedding there, it would have been quite cool I think…

They really love each others, but it appears usually whenever they are talking and she tries to tease him like putting the blame on him for something she didn’t like, or teasing him about being better about something, he almost always goes into simp mode, but then in order not to look like a complete simp, he gives her a response trying to tease her as well, although usually in a way more delicate and indirect in order not to upset her…

…so even if sometimes he’s simping, he tries to look like he isn’t (and I think Thalyssra is now aware of his behaviour) and for this reason the whole dialogue looks janky but also somewhat cute as a dynamic for their relationship :sweat_smile:

i mean it is cute, the idea behind it anyway, but blizz’s writing of it is kinda awkward & long-winded. i don’t think it’s a character quirk, i think it’s just written badly, which is a shame because i kinda like the characters & want to see them get better dialogues

To be fair, it is elves, and they are known for flowery, long-winded language. And I can see them trying that here. It’s not an easy thing to do, though, so I’m not surprised to see them failing.

The good old situation of characters only ever being as smart as the writer. They likely aimed for it to come off as a bit awkward, which just makes it way more difficult, on top of that.

I don’t recall either of these characters talking this way outside of scenes related to their romance tho

i mean it’s one thing to be all flowery and evasive during courtship or whatever (which they were, but again it was kinna badly written) but entirely another if you’re talking about a timeskipped married couple who’ve been doinking for “several years”

so it is kinda bad and also off-model. thalyssra and lorthemar deserve better tbh

If they are to do a time-skip I think it makes most sense to do it after Shadowlands. They can pull the whole “magical death space-time continuum~!” and it would have a modicum of sense and, in my questioning-whether-I’m-actually-being-honest opinion… it would at least mean that something good came out of Shadowlands. I think a break would do the world of Azeroth some good.

I’d be okay with Dragonflight being a self-contained adventure if it meant they were tidying up Azeroth in the background.

2 Likes

Sure, but that’s not what they are doing. People had been speculating about a time skip like that since SL was announced, but Ion was quick to deny that time dilation would play any role. And it didn’t. It’s specifially “years since the forces returned from the Shadowlands”. So it isn’t building on the space-time stuff at all, and just… well, random. Which is exactly why I don’t think it’s happening.

I wonder if the confirmed Warlords-like cinematic will explain most of the World changes that are supposed to be in-game. Another way would be to create a website open to all (Like the Runeterra Map of League Of Legends) with a lot of artworks and lore stuff happening during this time skip. Those dont require as much of work as revamping the whole in-game world, allowing them to do only some targeted reworks for the important stuff at start and zone by zone as we return there for a specific reason.

Ah, fair point. And here I was thinking there would maybe be one good thing about Shadowlands :pensive: … alas.

1 Like

I’m pretty certain it is indeed happening, because I’m pretty certain writers are perfectly aware that everyone’s asking for SL to be left behind and for WoW to get some kind of “fresh start”. I think they’re aware of that because nearly everything we’ve seen of Dragonflight as of now indicates that they’ve acknowledged many of the criticisms about SL story-wise (no more cosmic BS for a while, going back to a purely Azerothian fantasy setting, writing smaller scale, less character-driven stories, bringing back old races etc). Hence why they also felt the need to do the Exploring Azeroth series I guess

The need for a timeskip was real. Only good things could come out of such a move at this point. The world building is just in that bad of a state

Heh if you believe that i have this bridge to sell you 0 faith that blizzard won’t pull another BFA where the premise of the expansion is one thing but it ends up being another

3 Likes

How is it a good thing, if it changes nothing at all? The calls for a time skip were always calls for a new status quo. That’s not what anyone is promising, though. The most important change that we know of that the time skip would bring is unironically Thalyssra’s marital status. If that’s the devs taking player concerns about the lack of time between catastrophes seriously… well, then we are certainly doomed, and have no hope of the writing getting any better.

Heck, they even chose the return from the Shadowlands as a reference point in those dialogues. If they’re trying to get away from that story they’re doing a really bad job of it as well.

2 Likes

Isn’t it a little soon to say that ? We know virtually nothing of the current state of the world. Thalyssra and Lor’themar’s wedding is known to us because their dialogue is part of the very limited alpha content we have access to.

I mean, of course they would. The return from the Shadowlands is where we left the game. So far there hasn’t been any book or external source describing what happened afterwards, so of course they chose it as a reference point

1 Like

Is it? We know the Dragon Isles questing isn’t meant to fill us in at all, there are no lore books that were announced and they were pretty clear on no world updates coming in 10.0. So… No, I don’t think it’s too early to say that there is no room to give us anything that approaches what a time skip was supposed to accomplish, if it was to be worth anything.

A timeskip after Shadowlands could also mean we are going to see Sylvanas quite “soon” after all (as I predicted long ago anyway)… I’m pretty sure “a few years” on Azeroth equates thousands, if not millions, of years in the Shadowlands after all…