State of Roleplay; is it just me?

Because you prefer the races of the Horde, being the more obvious answer.

2 Likes

If anything, the Alliance should get out of the city more often, and to other places than “nerth”.

6 Likes

But that would mean the Alliance would have to - gasp - go to non-human lands?!?! We can’t have that!

3 Likes

Sometimes the hand of fate must be forced. :sunglasses:

In all seriousness though, Id love to do it myself, host something but, im not sure if I got the time and interest for it, and to keep stuff outside of SW or the north running…

1 Like

This. There’s a whole world to explore outside city walls or common towns which are used as hubs, but rarely you meet people in open world unless they’re in the middle of guild event - and then it comes to wondering if one should approach or would they be interrupting.

Another problem I’ve noticed is that people seem to stick their close-knit groups more often than not. People who have been RPing on the server for ages and stick to what’s good and true for them, so it’s very hard to “get into the RP circles” with most roleplayers moving into other games. Personally, I feel like I need to “buy my way in” by playing into agendas of other people, but if I play a character I want to develop, but it isn’t in line with what others want, my character will only receive apathic responses no matter what he/she does.

4 Likes

It’s not even just that it’s bigger.

SW by design facilitates a wide variety of RP themes, has big open spaces and (RIP Park) even once had an entire area specifically just for RPers.

Org by comparison is small, cramped, and since Cataclysm is 80% metal and spikes with a very clear war theme, there’s little room for anything else without nearly forcing it.

4 Likes

I’ll be honest gamers, encouraging the death of hubs while RP is dying out because the game sucks is a bullet train ticket to killing off the RP communities overall.

I’ve seen this same stuff on GW2 when it was in a dire state, a couple months later these newfangled non-capital city communities exploded and RP was just gone.

6 Likes

It’s not that bad tbh.
Just people don’t spread around that much.
Tauren RP fits well in VoW, you have a nice camp site, tents and the falls.
The Cleft works for shadowy dealings and Forsaken who don’t like the heat.
VoS has all the troll things and few decent locations for goblins and a building that (if I remember correctly) is empty towards the gate.
The problem isn’t the city, its just people tend to limit their scope based on experience of it.

2 Likes

I’ve seen this happen to other RP realms that went from being high pop to no pop, I’ve seen it happen to the GW2 RP community and even the FFXIV RP community. I think a large amount of MMO themed RP is simply on the decline.

I’m not talking about ‘guild based RP’. Any group of friends can hang out and put together role-playing events or character storylines. That goes without saying. Not saying that’s a bad way to RP either.

But if you want the random walk-up RP, the organic ‘open world’ approach to RP where you never know what your character is going to find or encounter, I feel that’s going to be very hard to find at the moment in WoW.

Alternatively while it’s not a good solution for everyone, I’ve found that US RP servers are generally a 100% more active and don’t revolve entirely around bubble RP. That goes the same for pretty much every single MMO I use for RP purposes.

1 Like

I’d take that into consideration if not for the fact that they require a separate subscription. :frowning:

6 Likes

Yeah. Only reason I don’t RP on WoW directly at all hardly nowadays is having to pay the sub fee just for RP. Shame there isn’t an RP friendly f2p model.

1 Like

I do actually play the game so staying subscribed on EU is no big deal for me, but paying a second subscription just to RP on some servers where I don’t even have access to my transmog collection and even the race of my main is simply not worth it.

1 Like

If only there was an MMO out there with an RP-friendly F2P model…

:wink:

2 Likes

This, else I’d move u_u

I wasn’t really encouraging the death of the hubs, more suggesting an alternative way of roleplaying as Horde.
And to be honest I don’t really think the game is killing the RP communities.
It’s the RP community that’s killing itself slowly.

It sometimes feels like a run-down dancing school at the border of town, where the teachers dictate outdated stiff dances to the young, and the young form separate groups because they don’t agree with each others dances. In the end they just shuffle about, walk circles, or stand around doing nothing.

WoW RP is overall, kinda boring most of the time.
Not that it doesn’t have great moments, it has, in abundance, else I wouldn’t stick around.
But I think it would, at least at the Horde side, need some fresh air instead of doing the same old dance same old dance dance over and over again.

Getting some jazz in that dancing school.

Maybe not intentionally, but RPers are the blood in a hub’s veins. Encouraging people to abandon the hub is akin to bleeding it dry.

Very firmly disagree. Almost every RPer I’ve seen talking about why they tapped out cited the current state of the game over all else.

4 Likes

I wasn’t thinking of abandoning the central hub just to spread RP aimlessly around the map, thats a dumb idea.
My idea was changing the hub on temporarily locations, switching them to give it some change. Read my Horde Frontiers post if you are curious enough.

Mehhh I don’t really agree with that too partner.

The Warcraft communities in general aren’t really well known for being the most positive places time to time. And all the complaining, fingers pointing, and raging aside, I think most people are just tired of playing a 17 year old game over and over again. And I question wether Blizz will even be able to fix anything, specially if they believe they can all fix it somehow in like… the ninth expansion in this series.
Unless that expansion offers something world changing, I kinda doubt it.

1 Like

If the game and lore was good me and many others would still be here

as much as people want to RP outside of Stormwind for example, it’s not gonna happen with the game having had a mass exodus, it was already hard getting anything going back in the days of BfA - to turn places into active hubs and hold events that had people attend regularly

And now, after all that happened?

To say and believe that the game isn’t killing RP / communities u would probably have to consume a metric ton of copium

So you admit that the game is slowly killing RP because Blizzard lacks innovation, they lack the strength and creativity, they lack competent designers and they lack competent writers, otherwise I’d be playing this game for another 17 years.

Don’t lie to yourself, the game is in a horrendous state, and RPers, an already small community, is made even smaller due to the abysmal state of worlo worcraft

12 Likes

The game and state of lore is what is driving me off. I still play, but nowhere near as much.
SL has been the reason a lot of people flew the nest.
Hopefully some will come back in the future, but as it stands, WoW’s story/lore just isn’t cutting it.

11 Likes

I’m just saying that I think people blame everything else instead of admitting they just don’t like playing World of Warcraft anymore.

And look? Look how defensive people get by me just saying that?