Stop the FOMO: Play World of Warcraft on Your Own Terms

I got occupied elsewhere? Are you and emberthal friends yet?! >:c

Nah, this person had become quite abusive tbh. Which is why I stepped away. Should have done so sooner.

Hayia!! Spin kicks emberthal

1 Like

Excuse me while i read up on this entire leanghty fight >:c

1 Like

Good luck! xD

1 Like

5 hours -.- you guys… 5 HOURS AGO your fight started.

1 Like

At first I genuienly thought they meant it… And I tried setting it up in perspective… Then I realized it was trolling, but was too deep in it xD Sick at home, so hey… What can you do xD

2 Likes

No no no… Claw… Ember please… both of you. Draw your final lines? None of you wanna stay here to the heath death of the universe i assume.

Like I am sorry for intervening… but you guys have been at it all day.

But it seems to have stopped? Why open it up again? xD

2 Likes

Well your not wrong… I just wanted you both to have a final say. And walk your ways…

im not judging though… my longest arguement lasted 12 hours :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

If I may?

The OP identifies a problem players may have with FOMO in WoW and offers a solution:
Don’t obsess over it. Just play the game on your own terms – do what you think is fun rather than what the game wants you to do.

Good advice. A simple point to preach, but not an incorrect one.

The topic then continues with various people expressing how they already do exactly that, or how they don’t feel FOMO impacts them at all, or how they don’t mind FOMO, or how they struggle to ignore FOMO, and other personal testaments.

Then the discussions narrows down into a discussion about FOMO itself and the design of WoW and the practices Blizzard uses and the reasons why.

And then there’s an argument amongst some about whether FOMO is inherently bad or whether it isn’t.

Those who feel it’s inherently bad point to studies and examples within the game that they feel expose the design as inherently predatory and negative for the user, and how it can in some cases lead to addiction or mental or physical disorder.

Those who object to that focus more on a libertarian point of view where enjoyment is in the eye of the beholder and everyone chooses to play WoW and therefore also has the choice to quit WoW if they don’t like what the game entails. And therefore it’s inherently okay for WoW to have any kind of game design, because it should ultimately only be played by people who enjoy it. It’s not up to Blizzard to protect the player from WoW – it’s up to the player to protect themselves.

I think that’s basically it.

4 Likes

thank you for making a nice wrap up for us all Jito.

I hope this sits well with you two? Ember and claw?

Mate… Again, while I do appreciate the incentive, you seem to want to start it up again? xD

Jito didn’t even put names to her text, and yet you want to again drag us into it and make us appear?

I’m sorry, but it’s just a bit weird taking a dead subject, try and open it, when I point it out you agree, only to try again? xD

One thing i will say on topic.

How i beat my FOMO addiction.

I missed things and kept missing them until i stopped caring.

Problem solved.

Eventually you look at those items and think " why was i so hooked on obtaining them? "

They say the best solution is often the simplest.

There you have it, worked for me.

2 Likes

to start it up again? You read all ive said and thought that was what I was trying to do? Ouch…

No… But why write it after agreeing to just let it go? xD

Why even drag me into it again by name?

Again, I appreciate the incentive, but no reason to drag it back up, when it seems to have died out

Well at the time i entered the chat… You where both still at it… Ember has actually left the chat entirely.

True… But then this happened:

Where you went:

So, just let it die out, no need for “last words” or “endings” it seems to have died :slight_smile:

1 Like

got it… Ive got it >< end of chat.

1 Like

Nah nah, we can still chat, I know you probably came from a good place - but just let the other discussion die out.

If you want to keep on topic, Jito actually managed to capture the essence pretty well, so can keep on it from her writings :smiley: