Story in games are very important and currently it lacks any sense of action

So many people get hyped because of cool cinematics, in-game story, many simply get lured to the game because of the awesomeness it promises…

While in dragonflight you abandoned narration in terrible way. The story itself is not THAT bad, but it stil feels like there NOTHING HAPPENS, post raid cinematics arent very special or dramatic at all, narration feels like its written for 8 year old, even on disney you can see more action in dialogues…

Come on blizzard, you make amazing content and you did a lot of good work in this expansion but it wont hype anyone when story sounds like fairytale that parents read to child to put them asleep

2 Likes

Kinda, yeah. But I’ll try to be charitable to Blizzard for a bit… I think they are very much trying to reinvent the setting here. They have thrown out the faction war, and they very likely have taken a big step back from Shadowlands-style cosmic megalomania. They want to give us new stories, and they want to give them to us on Azeroth. And that’s a good thing.

But the last decade or so they haven’t really been setting up much of anything on Azeroth, or at least nothing that they had solid plans to build on. So it’s no surprise that they’d some time to create the setup for cool stories in the foreseeable future. And we see the signs of that. They are giving us the tools to question the Titans’ role on Azeroth, teasing other land masses and peoples on Azeroth and opening us up for stories about halfay reasonable Void agents. There is quite a bit of stuff that they can and probably will build on that might grow to be some kind of epic.

Apart from that… they have taken on the laudable mission of closing up some neglected azerothian plots. Blizzard has been impressively bad with epilogues to their epicness, so there is a lot of stuff to go back to and tie up with a bow, like they are doing with the heritage set questlines… And much of the main plot of DF seems to be about that as well. Tying up all the loose ends around the dragonflights. Blue and Black dragons pretty much had their epilogue now, and we’re working on Bronze and Green, with the red queen getting a bit of new stuff to solve, since her flight didn’t really have much story left to end.
That’s not bad, either.

But the but is there. Backfilling epilogues and foreshadowing stuff in the future is no substitute for a new story to tell. And there just isn’t that much of that there. And they didn’t have to change the tone to be as kid-friendly as they did for any of this.

1 Like

tbh I like it, there’s a time for action, and a time for character building. So far story’s been about past mistakes, and finding new replacement aspects.

1 Like

I would take a boring story over a BfA/Shadowlands story any day so Dragonflight is a win in my book.

Personally I’d rather they abandon big plots and characters entirely then just go back to the world building basics that made vanilla wow such a fun and engaging setting. And of course take us back to places where that actually matters like Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms.

1 Like

Honestly, same. Urgency can still be achieved and it doesn’t need to have a big-bad. Vanilla has some evidence of that working well.

If they wanted a big bad, I would honestly prefer it be a slow-burn. I don’t really like what the pace 1-year villains have done.

They could just as easily pick up on new tethers that could dramatically impact the side-stories without needing to make it that the main story was ever involved. For example, the Tuskarr and their grim fate with the Gnolls of the Azure Span. Why/how did it become like that? Some real nice dark story there they could continue picking up on.

Yea … and I’m sick and tired of the moaning in the story .
Ohhhhh my old mistakes ,
Ohhh my father
OHHH my mother
OHHHh my teacher
OHHHhh my past
OOOOHhh my future …
OOOOHhhhh my OHHH “sighs in the distance”

I like to play the story with sound , but that moaning is unbearable . Every single character is moaning about something .

Between this quasi-emotional hogwash and cosmic threats , the later seems the better… not by much .

The best approach was in Vanilla . Zone related stories which were on the small local side . Each has it’s own flavor and you had many to choose from .
Nothing too grand , yet you had a lot of epic moments .
It is so exhausting and boring when all zones are basically the same theme in different color .

3 Likes

Really depends on the boring story and its context, though… If it doesn’t keep me engaged, I just don’t take it at all. Boredom neither creates nor extends attachment. Bad drama usually at least exploits the attachment. BfA/SL were terrible. But I was very interested in finding out what they would put on the pile of poop they were building next. The absurdity, and betting against the creators of the world, was even fun sometimes.

Now they’re following it up with boring and harmless DF and… I haven’t bothered to play through all the storylines, and am just here for rp and the nice transmogs they are giving out.

This isn’t classic, and this probably can’t be classic, since I really won’t believe that they can follow up on any intriguing development without wrecking it, until they actually prove it. There is no benefit of the doubt after what they pulled off the last half decade or more. I won’t react to an interesting premise, if I can’t expect an interesting conclusion.

I haven’t looked into the DF lore yet, weirdly enough. But surely it can’t be any worse than that big nipple guy from SL.

It isn’t worse, no. It is considerably better. But it probably is less interesting than the adventures of nipple man and the sad banshee.

1 Like

Wow died with shadowlands.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.