Struggling as a Tank in Solo Queue RBGs – Need Advice

Hello everyone,

With the introduction of solo queue RBGs, I thought I had found something I truly enjoyed. However, since the start of the new season, I’ve been stuck bouncing between 1500-1600 rating, and it’s been over 100 games now.

The purpose of this post is to ask what I, as a tank player, can do to help secure wins and better support the team. I’m not claiming to be the best or even a particularly great player, but staying AFK on one base and trying to defend it seems to be ineffective.

Are there any high-rated RBG tank/non-tank players here who could offer some advice or tips on what I could do better as a tank?

Thank you!

The most effective things you can do and where tanks are best at is spinning on objectives to prevent enemies capping it. This can be done in both, defense and offense.
Most bases in Blitz turn immune after one team is controlling it, so make sure you only do it on active bases/flags.

Update, finally got 1800+ with a guardian Druid.

Justs HOW?!

It is my first time reaching 1.8+ in actual season, so I cannot really explain.

I’ve come to understand that it’s not a solo game, even when the team doesn’t communicate. I try to speak up and engage. (Making jokes eases the stress on people, so I would start with dumb jokes). If the map is not FC map, I capped a point, and immediately head to the team fight, using cyclone on the healers, throwing defensive abilities on my team, and then rushing back to cap another point. Sometimes tried to be an anti-cap by harassing the enemy’s camp.

It wasn’t easy by any means, especially dealing with the nasty whispers that came my way, but I kept pushing, though there were times I was about to give up.

So keep grinding kings, you will get it <3

1 Like

This is only reason keeping me from trying Blitz with my prot pala (and well, uh, being maybe the worst tank spec available in the game)

I thought Dota 2 and M+ toxicity made my hide thicker, but WoW PVP toxicity is next level. Had cases when people straight up /w saying K*S.

But it does not mean there were no good people, I actually had people whispering to me saying “do not mind them, you did all you could”, and etc.

Give it a try :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tanks and healers stand out. If they make mistakes, they are easy targets

That is exaclty what one multi-glad person whispered to me after the game was lost. They said, I was the lowest ranked player, and thus they could “bully” me. And that I should not take it personal and keep fighting.

I will breifly explain what happened. I got matched with people whose average mmr is 2.2k on both sides, I was sitting and defending the mines, the team lost the fight in the WW, so the enemy had 2 bases, knowing after WW they will come to mines, no one dared to stay with me. But they all rushed to LH. Obviously I cannot stand vs 5 dps, died and lost the cap. And that is when the toxicity started.

They totally ignored the WW situation, nor the fact that they rushed to LH one by one without re-grouping, but hey, it was my fault, and I should unistall the game BUT better KMS.

1 Like

btw, 2.2k mmr on a tank spec is pretty good right now. There are few tanks that go around.

It is either DK (can solo kill) or DHs (PVP talent grip and throw+prison).

Whenever I am matched vs them, I am genuinely scared of them more than their dps. :sweat_smile: