Stuck in a character creation loop

Did you use the gear update thing by any chance? because i did that on one of my alts and now i’m also locked in a contant loop going into character creation menu and getting this lua error.

Message: Interface/GlueXML/CharacterSelect.lua:1417: attempt to index field ‘flow’ (a nil value)
Time: Wed Jul 19 12:33:05 2023
Count: 1
Stack: Interface/GlueXML/CharacterSelect.lua:1417: attempt to index field ‘flow’ (a nil value)
[string “@Interface/GlueXML/CharacterSelect.lua”]:1417: in function CharacterSelect_SelectCharacter' [string "@Interface/GlueXML/CharacterSelect.lua"]:1320: in function UpdateCharacterList’
[string “@Interface/GlueXML/CharacterSelect.lua”]:607: in function `CharacterSelect_OnEvent’
[string “*CharacterSelect.xml:1634_OnEvent”]:1: in function <[string “*CharacterSelect.xml:1634_OnEvent”]:1>

Locals: index = 4
noCreate = true
charID = 4
text = “Enter World”
boostInProgress = true
_ = false
_ = false
_ = false
isTrialBoostLocked = false
revokedCharacterUpgrade = false
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = “Enter World”
(*temporary) = “attempt to index field ‘flow’ (a nil value)”

Yes, exactly. This erorr showed up after i tried run the game from another computer.

Hello. Had the same happen to me yesterday and since then it still does not let me log in.
Blizzard knows about this as far as i could find (https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/cannot-log-in-until-character-boost-gear-update-complete/1632417/35)
Also it appears that all characters that are “updating” are unavailable to view through wow companion app (android version doesn’t load the character and leaves an error saying “check if you have the latest version of wow companion”)
Guess we just wait it out?

My problems have been solved and I can now once again log in. I have not done anything other then wait 3 to 4 hours.

Then you are extremely lucky… I still cannot logon

Hey all,

Dropping in to confirm that our engineers are currently working on this issue. While we don’t have a solution to offer quite yet, rest assured that we’re working on fixing this ASAP in order to get you all back into the game.

Sorry for the inconvenience, hoping to have more information to share with everyone soon. :pray:

PS: There is no need to open a ticket at the moment as game masters are unfortunately unable to fix this on their end, however if this were to change, I’ll be sure to update this post.

10 Likes

Same problem here after the gear update on two of my characters.

Can’t change the realm, or anything. If I start the game I can see only the character creation screen as above was shown…

Still not able to leave character creation

I’m having the same issue … maintenance window is almost up, when will it be rectified?!

Ditto here, and because the first click did nothing, I naturally clicked all of my characters who had the button. Sheesh. It’s been 10h for me waiting now. Guess I’ll check back in the morning when I get back from work. :frowning:

Still no ETA?

i am not able to log in, any when i try to log a ticket through battle.net support, i get stuck in a loop, so unable to log any kind of ticket either

For those in the EU maintenance begins at 01:00 am, for those in the UK it begins at 12:00 am.

Still the same for me, over 6 hours now with the same issue

/sigh

Found a somewhat working solution. Managed to log in by tapping escape while the character screen is loading, the key is to bring up the in-game menu right before the screen finishes loading.

Seems like if the menu is up and the character screen finishes loading in the background it loads normally and allows you to select your character, instead of going into the creation screen which you can’t get out of.

The timing is kind of awkward, but managed to log in twice after restarting the client around 10 times or so.

Had to do it twice cause I tried to log in to one of the characters I gear boosted and the problem appeared again, so don’t do that and log in to one of the characters you didn’t boost instead.

2 Likes

I cannot replicate this… i manage to bring the game menu but that doesn’t help…
I see the loaded menu with my chars when pressing escape, but I cannot choose anything.

Update: After trying it a couple of times, it worked… as you said… that or I just got luck

Omg… yesterday? i was hoping that i could log in later this night… Blizzard! Hurry up!

This worked for me but also quickly clicking on the red “Back” button on the bottom left as soon as i saw it brought me to the active character screen

1 Like

You’re a genius this is really a workaround, also worked on other.

Yet only works once, when logging out, the sh*t begins anew

i only find absurd that they cant fix this, but i think blizzard staff are very lucky, the player find creative solution for them lol

1 Like