Sub-race names & templates tied to the new customization options

No problem. I think there is zero chance of Blizzard allowing anyone to describe themselves as a ‘high elf’ within the game for the reasons outlined.

If you’re playing a high elf, everyone knows you are playing a high elf. But people shouldn’t be allowed to pretend their choice alone are the high elves. If you want the ideal, that is a Blood elf. If you are ok with a bit of a variance, that is a Void Elf. Both are high elves.

3 Likes

Who was the person who quoted some inGame stuff saying about “Blood Elves take offense in being called High Elves because of the commitment they endured after Arthas’ invasion”?

As far as I can tell it from both communities, Blood Elves try do denounce the Void Elf-players for calling themselves High Elves with the new customization options while the Velves point out that the Belves aren’t really called Helves anymore while there are some legit “High Elves” running around in the game who are loyal to the Alliance.

2 Likes

I honestly would not know what is right or wrong about using such name, as I am not much of an elven expert. But I really hope we can all at least agree that templates and optional demonyms would be a cool option to have within the new customization screen - and if they become a reality, it would be obviously up to Blizzard alone to choose how and when to use them. :wink:

Also, whatever the outcome, I really just love Moira’s mockups (THANKS!) and I can’t blame her for trying to make one for the High Elves seen how much the community seems moved by such subject.

However, since I do not want this to turn into another High Elf thread, I think I will only keep the dwarven mockups on the first post. ^^

6 Likes

Both yourself and Moira have put so much effort into this thread and turned an awesome idea into one that is easier now for people to visualise with the mockups.

I know you have gathered a lot of support and rightly so. There are numerous High Elf threads on the forums at present that people can comment on if they wish, so I too hope that this doesn’t turn into another one as your idea on customization options should get the attention it deserves :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That’s ok, I totally get it. Touching that subject often equals to looking for trouble, and we do not want that. Although it was a fun and quick ‘exercise’ in the making.

On a further related note, I am not entirely satisfied with the outcome, because the sliders in the dwarves mockups are from the earlier Alpha interface which was already changed. I would have also wanted to work some examples for the Trolls, but since I do not have Alpha access, and had to take video screenshots from youtube, dwarves and elves were more abundant hence the best I could come up with for the time being.

Said that… I think something is always better than nothing, and hopefully it still works to help people with less imagination to visualize the concept. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

this is a fantastic idea, never understood why they didn’t do this for most of the allied races.

4 Likes

I absolutely love this idea!

For example if you selected the High Elf option you’d be called a High Elf in game and get the High Elf customisation or if you pick Wildhammer you are called a Wildhammer In game and get Wildhammer customisation! and so on! like you mentioned with Trolls!

3 Likes

Just as an info, the topic has been covered on the US forums:

Sarallesta, if you read this, can you maybe start a new topic on the US forums and ask the developers why we aren’t allow to post there? The other games (HotS, OW, Diablo) do allow it as well.

2 Likes

Oh wow, thanks Sarallesta! :smiley: :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

I disagree, We Zandalari will gladly embrace them. :heart:

4 Likes

Looks fantastic. Hope Blizzard listens!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just do what all the other cool kids are doing, create a starter edition US WoW account (linked to your Blizzard account), level a toon above level 10 then post on the US Forums.

You’re welcome. Though Leinadh originally posted a thread on the US Forums, but sadly, it didn’t get much attention until today when I bumped his thread. But I thought to copy over to the US Forums to that thread. Hopefully Blizzard will imply this idea, because this is a really good idea.

6 Likes

I have a LV10 toon there but for reasons I cannot write on the forums. But I will give it another try and level the Panda to LV11.

Btw, my condolences for the sheer insanity you have to endure on the US forums. I follow almost every discussion there and the velf racial toggle topic there was just insanely weird because not everyone was on the same page.

1 Like

I think it has to be above level 10. :woman_shrugging: I dunno, I leveled this Pandaren to level 12, with 300ms (from Australia with bad love :frowning:), and relogged on the forums, and manage to post.

Oh, I’m used to it. I mean, it is the internet after all, and some people take this game way to seriously and think they have more right over what others say or suggest, or still act like it is 2004. But in the end, the final say doesn’t come from the community, it comes from Blizzard. (Well, except Ion, but I hope someone sits Ion behind a computer playing Alliance.)

1 Like

Sounds good, makes sense.

1 Like

I think that may be due to them linking/reposting it before the mockups were added in the OP?

That seems to have made quite a difference in the approval here as well.

Or, the incoming weekend. :laughing:

Probably, not too sure.

Here is the thread on the US Forums

If needing more updates, or want me to post stuff over, I can do. Just reply to this message, and I’ll be sure to keep an update for everyone.

4 Likes

I am very glad to report that the mockups created by Moira are being shared on Twitter, with tags to various influencers and even Blizzard devs. :astonished:

:crossed_fingers: Fingers crossed. :crossed_fingers:

9 Likes

Ok, I am officially nervous. :blush:

5 Likes

Don’t let you also discouraged by some comments on the US forums.

After lurking there for so long I also get a grasp on their regulars - and some of them aren’t the sharpest tools anyways, especially the female belf paladin user arguing against you for beingt a “pro helf” supporter.

3 Likes