Surviving as a Hunter in PvP

Tell me if this sounds familiar…

You go up against classes like Warriors, Monks, and DHs… you know the type of classes that STICKS to you, no matter how much you kite, or how many traps you throw at them… And who has healing spells to stay alive…

And then next… you die… :man_shrugging:

Because as a Hunter, your defensive CDs are on a 3min CD, and our only short CDs are Feign Death and Roar of Sacrifice… And while those two are good defensives, they don’t heal us in any way, which makes dying a matter of time…

So if we use our defensive CDs, and then die… then we are left waiting 2.5+ min until we can get back in a fight again… Since we aren’t a Druid who has short 1min defensive CDs, and 100 different healing spells.

We don’t have a “30% heal spell on a 25 sec CD” like Warriors do… And every class in the game have CC breaker spells, which makes half our traps useless. :sweat_smile:

So how do you all do it?

How do you kill, let’s say a Warrior, who takes NO damage, and who heals up all the way every 25 sec? :confused:

I thought Warriors were meant to be the “worst WPvP class in the game”… But from what I can tell, they are one of the WORST classes to go up against… Even on my Druid. :sweat_smile: Is PvP just incredibly unbalanced atm? Or what is going on…?

If I see a Warrior, DH, Monk, or Lock… I run the other way… because there is just no way to kill them.

:point_right::point_right: EDIT: :point_left::point_left:

Watched Soulscape’s latest WPvP video, and he swapped from SV to MM out of frustration, since SV didn’t do any dmg. And immediately he was able to take on the same people, without any issues…

(Spoiler alert, I play SV too as my main) :neutral_face:

I swapped to MM, and also immediately felt a difference in my damage, even with a lower ilvl non enchanted weapon…

So I’m guessing the problem I’m experiencing, is with SV Hunter being INCREDIBLY under tuned… :man_shrugging: So in reality it’s not about me “not surviving long enough”… it’s about me not “killing fast enough”…

:point_right::point_right: EDIT EDIT: :point_left::point_left:

NOPE… Hunter still sucks. Not a spec Issue.

If you get super frustrated in games vs 2 melees, the best you can try is to use the following talents:

• scatter shot
  • explosive trap
  • diamond ice trap
  • steel trap
  • burshing shot

and then the only thing you do is CC one melee, hit the other one and run around. Forget about CC on the healer. Leave it to your partners

It actually works very well but but i recommend you to disable chat if you want to do this.

Because low IQ fotm rollers who don’t understand how you suffer as hunter generally say: ‘Hey, use trap on healer. This is your only the job huntard.’

Yeah… I’m so close giving up on Hunter…

Which is unfortunate, seeing it is the ONE class I really wanna play. :confused:

I tried SV.
I tried MM.
I tried BM.

Hunter is great if enemies don’t touch you, but the second you burn through Turtle amd SotF, you die… And they are 3 MINUTE CDs! :laughing:

EVERY class in the game, now has 1-100 abilities that can ignore your traps or slows, making it impossible to keep melee off of you.

Hunter simply just dies, whenever another player pricks you with their finger. And it’s frustrating.

I throw Ice Trap, they escape it. I throw Tar Trap, the ignore it with a root immunity. I use Scatter Shot, they catch up to me 0.1 sec after it expires… And ALL these traps BREAK on damage!

And even if we DO have a opponent who can’t escape a trap… THEN WHAT? :joy: We can’t heal?? We just… Do what?? We can’t attack them either??

I keep seeing people on YouTube “one shotting everyone as Hunter”… But when I, let’s say go MM, I gotta attack for 10 sec before getting them close to death… And it takes them 2 sec to kill me, seeing that HUNTER HAS NO HEALS.

These are all great… But what is the purpose behind trapping people, when you can’t hit them, since it breaks the traps? :sweat_smile:

And as a Hunter you can’t heal… So we aren’t trapping them “to survive”… In fact, THEIR healing spells get off CD while they sit in a trap. :tipping_hand_man: We are basically just prolonging when we die…

Atleast as SV Hunter I could use Mending Bandage… SOMETIMES, if I didn’t have a DoT on me… :face_with_head_bandage:

But again… Everything I said above. :confused:

Maybe you missed this part: “and then the only thing you do is CC one melee, hit the other one and run around”

For example, if against DH/warrior in shuffle, your goal is to only CC the DH and attack the warr and hope that your healer and partner can CC their healer.

Scatter → Steel Trap → Diamond Ice trap

is your “rotation” against the DH every 30 sec, which should take him out of the game for 14sec, but usually it’s less because you can’t normally CC perfectly at the millisecond one CC ends.

And then you just run around pillars trying to lure the other melee away from their healer as much is possible.

That all being said, the situation is currently terrible. MM/SV have never felt so underpowered in arena for the whole of DF, and I have no interest in BM whatsoever.

Ah, I think we misunderstand each other… I don’t play arena :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m fully aware that traps are great against teams :+1: I didn’t miss that part of your post. I disregarded it, because outside arena it isn’t useful unless you fight multiple opponents. Traps are useless in 1v1 scenarios.

I either do BGs or WPvP. So most of the time, even in BGs, there isn’t a healer around…

So to rephrase my question…

How do I survive as a Hunter, in 1v1 situations, when we have no self-healing, and our defensives are on 3min CDs?

Because as I understand it… Hunters currently need to rely on STUPIDLY out damaging our opponents, in order to win… :sweat_smile: because Hunters WILL die, without a pocket healer.

Our “defensives” are our traps… but like you stated… they only work against multiple opponents, which you primarily find in instanced arena matches…

It’s pretty much kill them before they kill you. Kiting is your best tool in 1v1. I should avoid classes like Warlock and Shadow Priest in 1v1s but I’m stubborn.

1 Like

So using traps to gain distance, then attack again. Rinse and repeat? :slightly_smiling_face:

I have tried using traps before to get distance… not as a main focus with a “that’s my strat” mindset, so I can’t recall if I felt like it worked…

And my general experience, is that people just gets out of the traps again, almost as if they have 5 glad trinkets… :sweat_smile:

Hmmm…

I’ll give it a go :+1: thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

How often do you use Concussive Shot? I Basically use it as soon as it’s off CD against melee and even ranged when I look to open up some distance. As MM you should have a range advantage on most classes.

When I tested out MM and BM, I used it on CD every 5 sec. But people just kept catching up anyways. :man_shrugging:

As SV I don’t use it unless I run to kite.

EDIT:

Have tried to use concussive shot on CD, and used traps whenever they get close, and still no difference. :tipping_hand_man: People use slow on me as well, which means we just both move slow… And with nearly every class in the game having ranged or semi ranged attacks, they still continuously land blows…

So kiting doesn’t work, and traps gets broken before I get more than 5 yards away from them…

So without any healing, Hunters still just slowly watch their life drain, while pretty much every other class in the game, can just heal up again conveniently. :man_shrugging: Making Hunter pretty much a “you gotta one-shot or die” glass canon type class…

It sucks having to rely on healing potions and food from the AH, to gain something every other class have build in…

When playing a class gets THIS hard to play, just to mimic what other classes can do by even beginner players… It’s just not worth it to me.

I think I’ll try out some other class, which doesn’t rely on a pocket healer for solo PvP. :confused: Or wait until some day, if Hunter gets a rework.

Truth be told I play my two Hunters once a week to cap Conquest and move onto other classes like Ele Shaman and Ret Pally for the rest of the week.

1 Like

I had the exact same two classes in mind. :slight_smile:

I currently main Druid, but wanted to swap to a class that had the following:

• Can use sword (looks cool)
  • Has fun WPvP utility (knock back, root, and incapacitate)
  • Self-sustainable/self-healing
  • Can be Draenei

SV Hunter (if I could get it working), was my “solution”… However as I discovered playing it, it SEVERELY lacks healing and self-sustainability. :sweat_smile:

Shaman and Paladin are among my favorite classes. However Shaman has utility, but lacks sword, and Paladin has sword, but lacks utility… :man_shrugging: Evoker is also fun, but “lacks Draenei”. :laughing:

So I guess I gotta sacrifice one of my conditions…

Paladin has Blessings and Auras which are very helpful. Plus attacking from range is awesome. Hunters don’t find it as easy to kite us anymore.

1 Like

Bicmex | R1 Survival Hunter PvP Guide | Dragonflight Season 3

I have already watched both his old and latest guide from about a week ago. :slightly_smiling_face:

They definitely helped, but still didn’t solve the underlying issue of self-sustainability in solo PvP unfortunately. :confused:

I think they’re afraid to buff us because Bicmex would become too strong :smiley:

1 Like

Survival unfortunately has no place in current two buttons melee meta. Only few dedicated/obsessed players who play survival for years can do remarkable things.
Survival needs a rework/respec like from combat to outlaw. Lets don’t waste our 3rd spec while mm already weak enough and make it totally new spec that can excite players, blizz.

1 Like

SV already got that rework in Legion and again in BFA. Until they give SV more survivability like your Warriors, Rogues and DKs it will always be a flawed spec.

It’s not great game design when you’re taking the likes of Bicmex into account when tuning numbers. Him, Kasu and Jellybeans make Hunter look good in any scenario regardless of the state of the class.

2 Likes

In spite of the many reworks, I hope they will get some sort of survivability change. A glass canon class is only fun for people who loves min-maxing the **** out of the game. :man_shrugging: “Regular” players gotta be able to enjoy Hunter too in PvP, without being required to play at a top tier level…

The problem with the current Hunter design, is that the current class design worked better in the old days. Classes no longer play the same as back then, and are no longer as “unique”. Nowadays, EVERY class has received spells that can repeatedly counter Hunter traps… :tipping_hand_man:

At its core, Hunter is designed around using traps to win, instead of healing… Which is useless today. :point_left:

I personally believe that adding Mending Bandage to EVERY spec as a PvP talent, and make it break ONLY on direct damage… NOT on DoT damage… Could completely fix Hunter. :slight_smile:

I don’t mind the Mending Bandage channel, since it plays really well into Hunters using traps, however it becomes useless when opponents DoT you up… Which btw, nearly EVERY class can do today. :melting_face: Because again… All classes can now do everything.

Same when watching Soulscape do WPvP… He IS good at SV Hunter, but he also uses a handful of world buffs, which makes him 3 times stronger, which is why he can 1v5 people.