SV hunter, tip of the spear better than mongoose

With mongoose you get 15% more damage and lasts 14 sec. Howevere mongoose has 90% AP, on the other hand raptor strike gets you 100% AP.

Instead tip of the spear can greatly improve raptor strike damage.

What is your view?

I myself like tip more. Though both feel restrictive tbh. Instead of making rotations more fluid, bith require you to stop something or you lose dps.

Tip gives more damage, as simple as that. You can try both and chick raidbots and you will see that once you switch to mongoose, you lose dps

1 Like

I know…still A WELL-KNOWN site suggests mongoose talent.
I really hope that ppl don t go braindead on such sites.
I wanted to “warn” hunter community :slight_smile:

The same well known site says to sim it.

Meta community is the biggest wow problem imo

For me, Mongoose Bite sims 2% worse than Tip of the Spear. But I don’t like Tip. Just doesn’t feel right. I sticked with Mongoose Bite.

Amd what about lvl 50 talents?

I was actually one of the players that used to “blindly” go for Mongoose, but gladly I changed my mind into trying Tip and oh boy I’m never going back, unless they nerf it a lot.
I feel much more freedom with it because I don’t need to make the most of it during that 14 sec window like with Mongoose. With tip I can KC and because I still have a few secs until Tip wears out I can use several stuff in between each KC and Raptor if I so wish. Feels much better to use, and it doesn’t depend so much on Haste as Mongoose does.

3 Likes

When we get more gear and more haste mongoose will slowly start to creep back into the top slot.
But meta is meta.

As for personal opinions. I like Mongoose. Building up focus and dumping it all into a big burst when lust is popped feels great.
Tip. It’s aight just doesn’t mesh as well with me. I’m a bit to aggressive to not want to raptor strike everything! so i don’t really get the full bang!

The idea was, Tip gave you more benefit in PvP where you rarely got the chance to sit in someone’s faces and cast Mongoose over and over (not to mention it gave some much needed burst and Flanking Strike doesn’t have the dmg it deserves), meanwhile in PvE the idea was to pool your resources and cast as many Mongooses in the window as possible. Which was more or less doable with BFA’s plethora of haste (and thus focus) thanks to corruptions.

When transitioning to SL though, the focus regen lags behind so realistically you can’t get enough Mongooses in the window to safely out-dps Tip. Well actually it’s not really THAT much about out-dpsing, rather, it feels even more boring than usual if literally 50% of your gameplay consists of dishing out Mongooses and conforming your whole playstyle to pooling and spending, for minimal results compared to entirely passive talent)

Maybe in the future when we’re touching 40%+ haste again it might be the standard go-to option, right now Tip is the safer bet so most ppl go with that. (well no, most people don’t play SV at all because it’s one of the most boring specs in game these days, but whatever floats your boat)

100% tip is so much less restrictive, it’s very nice especially when you can’t quite connect with the melees/get ccd and you lose the mongoose window, tip gives you that added flexibility

1 Like

For me, that’s even more offending than all the hate towards Survival everywhere.

I mean we Survival players get it. Everyone hates Survival. We don’t matter. We would better be removed as a spec. We must be idiots for playing Survival in PvE, etc etc.

But if there is one thing that is just wrong is saying it’s boring. I can easily name at least seven other dps specs, meleed and ranged, that are far more boring.

2 Likes

I can name 36 specs. :+1:

As someone who used to main survival hunter in the past few expansions (with 4 hunters on 3 different realms, going all the way back to the glory days of explosive shots and hunters using mana and ammunition), I can swear the SL iteration is the MOST BORING of them all YET.

In Legion you had entire new artifact talent tree. In BFA you had several different azerite powers. In SL so far you have ONE legendary that’s mostly pretty mediocre no matter which you pick, and the end result is just a boring knockoff warrior with lingering resource problems caused by pet AI (pretty much any time the devs make places even a teensy bit harder to navigate, or forget to delete some invisible walls).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.