Sylvanas is totally not evil

There are two possibilities as to why she is saying such:

1. She is privy to some information regarding the conclusion of this expansion. And knows about an ending that will somehow validate in some absurd way all the shenanigans they pulled with Sylvanas character. Basically something like “what she did saved us from X or Y which are ten times worse”.

2. She is being delusional about the fact that what started as a pragmatic, cold, but still “reasonable” character, has been thrown under the bus as a villain for a story of heroism with Jaina and Anduin as its protagonists.

Third option I can think of, is that she is being used as another decoy to try and make people believe that there is indeed something else to this copy-pasted MoP story. And maybe got a call from the marketing department, that are trying to keep people hooked on a failing story while planning their Ultimate Gotcha…that at this point most players see already coming.

10 Likes

Well, there is such a thing as long-term villains that aren’t off’d at the first opportunity. Blizzard knew that at some point in the past…

For me its close to the “so delusional it’s just funny”-mark.

This coming from someone like you is hillarious. Mister who has his own shrine at home to worship Daelin, even tho his own wife thinks he was wrong now :wink:

Which is perfectly fine.

2 Likes

Unrelated thought. I don’t know how you guys feel, but I would rather saw off a limb over having another Sylvanas debate. Can this end already?

2 Likes

That’s why I’ll be really, really bummed out, if Sylvanas is Warchief at the end of 8.2.5, and hasn’t given us her monologue revealing her plans. It feels like the absolute limit of my patience, right now.

4 Likes

Blessed Patty tellin’ it like it is.

3 Likes

The way the Chinese VA said it is better. At least she bluntly admitted she’s mad at the writers.

1 Like

Not while the wench yet draws breath.

Scratch that, not while she still moves.

And even after her death, several YEARS after her true death, people will still come back to justify her or argue how the person who killed her cheated.

Source: Garrosh.

2 Likes

More like, not while there are players that feel triggered by her actions. Half the stuff she has done wouldn’t be half as relevant if it weren’t for the fact that people took them at heart.

Like, the random line thrown to differentiate the fact that she “betrayed” Varian at the Broken Shore, in a setting where the Horde was led by the SI:7 into a trap that killed the Horde Warchief.

Now, the current story obviously makes more emphasis on her character. And not for the better.

But there is a precedent of some blatant double standards when it comes to her character.
Probably because of a combination of people that dislike the theme she represents, and the ones that won’t let the grudge go for that time Blizzard directed the Forsaken war effort towards another playable faction (Cataclysm).

Regarding the rest? The overarching reasoning and motive of the character isn’t that noteworthy.

Most of the hate she has gotten, and the debates derived from it, predate BfA.

1 Like

I wonder what people here think is justified in order to win a war.
Let’s say for example that you believe the existence and the well being of your faction depends on winning that war, how far should you go to achieve victory?

Let’s say for example that Sylvanas would win the war if she mind-controlled one of her forsaken people, betray him and sacrifice him. Still, winning the war would mean saving the lives of thousands of others. Would that be ‘ok’ ?

You can of course see that if you reply ‘yes’ then the question can change to ‘what if she did that to 2 people? 3? 5? 10?’ so where do you put a stop?

If you think that doing something cruel to save a lot of lives is not justified, then how do you think wars are won? Do you believe that a general strategises with the intent not to loose any troops? Again, same deal, in a confrontation you can point your 1000 soldiers against 1000 of the opponents head on, and maybe win with 70% casualties. What if you could bait them with 200 soldiers and flank them winning with 30% casualties.
Would that be ‘ok’? You are practically betraying and sacrificing those 200 soldiers in cold…It’s not much different than something cruel.

In addition, in most wars there are covert ops running. Spies, bribes, assassinations, secret agents trying to uncover communication codes and being abandoned in case they get discovered. All this DOES happen, but naturally is not revealed to the open public. Maybe (definitely) torture is also involved.
Do you guys think that because we don’t listen about this, it doesn’t happen?
Still, you enjoy your happy life without “terrorists” on your door and feel good about it

To conclude, people here act like our world (and wow universe) is a wonderful place where all moral people are gathered and drink some beers and suddenly evil Sylvanas shows up. I understand that most of you are pretty young but life never waits for you to catch up so please take more realistic approach.

5 Likes

Less about realism and more about internal consistency. We had this fellow once who had a bunch of undead mind-controlled and used them to win his wars, can’t quite recall his name. Sylvanas of all people should know him, we went after him and his legion of goons and put him down.

The problem with this argument is also that it relies on Sylvanas having the Horde’s interests at the forefront, that all she has done thus far has been for the Horde, and not for her own interests that she’s not sharing. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that she plunged us into a war with a massive death toll, it’s not unlikely she has a quota to fill, but that’s an entire discussion entirely.

The point being that this isn’t real life, this is a story about races and factions and heroes, in order for Sylvanas’ and he cult of personality’s narrative to be satisfied, every other racial and faction narrative would have to be thrown out the window, they would have to be right, and -everyone- else would have to be wrong, and while I’m sure there are plenty of Diehard loyalists who would love that, because their narrative is the only one that matters (duh). I sincerely hope that most wouldn’t want that, but it would be naive to dismiss the lengths to which some people would gladly go.

2 Likes

I agree. Sargeras also did nothing wrong. I would commit genocide too if that was the only way to save the cosmos /s.

9 Likes

cranks nihilism lever up to eleven

Why only to save the cosmos?

Might makes right. If you can do it and get away, it’s justified.

Morals are such a brittle mortal construct. Kill everyone and you alone decide what is right and what is wrong.

Everyone is a rival in the game of life. Do not allow others to challenge you, take their lives before they can take yours.

They offer words, but words can be broken. You cannot trust anyone. Kill them.

yanks nihilism lever back to one and rolls her eyes

Makes for a pretty neat old god impression, wouldn’t you think?

4 Likes

Sylvanas: No one’s gonna threaten the Horde if everyone’s dead.

https://i.imgflip.com/1muvpq.jpg

1 Like

Thing is that it turns harder to justify or point at the logic behind those sort of actions, when the setting is portrayed in the cartoonish way that has love and peace triumphing regardless.

It doesn’t matter if the tactics at hand make all the sense in the world. For as long as they are shown in the slightest questionable way, or for as long as they challenge someone’s morals even if mildly, they will be criticised.
Only untarnished and indisputable Good actions will be seen as good.
Because why allow such if the “good guys” can have the narrative bending over backwards to justify or validate their morally spotless (and often foolish), actions?

That’s why sacrificing the soldiers that broke ranks to allow the bulk of the army to retreat or cover the defences better, will be frowned upon.
Even if we have rl examples and logic dictating it might be the one of the few sensible ways left.

1 Like

I’d argue that, yes, generals would like to preserve the lives of their men and accomplish their missions successfully

3 Likes

And i am not playing a druid because it can do everything.
Claiming is easy.

The problem with blizzard is that they believe there own lies.
They seem to have forgotten that actions speak louder then words.
Sylvanas has always been evil.
Ever since warcraft 3.
We dont hate her being evil.
We hate how dumb they are making her look in bfa.

As for:

They already did in warcrimes novel.
Those good for nothing selfrightious celestials claim that garrosh was innocent because given the right circumstances everyone could down that road.
No crap shirlock, they teach you that in kindergarten(if they didnt i pity your education)
We are all responsible for the choices we make and garrosh choice to be a warmonger that harmed 3 nations.
Could he had made different choices?
Sure but he didnt and now he has to pay for it.
But nope those self rightious good for nothing mounth pieces of blizzard lack of understanding of action and consequences where planning to let him go…
If i could change one thing about our spieces it would be our inteligence.
Because the level of stupid you need to believe this really makes me hope there is a god out there and an end times.
Just so i can hope for a time where i dont have to deal with morons.
And no i cant avoid them i have to go outside everyday.

repeated.

can we close the thread now pls? it’s already showing how this is not going to be a ‘discussion’.

i’m just for the moment happy that there’s no one comparing the entire horde playerbase to be advocades of mass slaughter/genocide or whatever.

so lets end this now.

2 Likes

But really… what else is there to talk about this addon? The war stuff, the Old God stuff, the death stuff… they all are in some way connected to Sylvanas, and possible parts of her master plan. All ways lead to Sylvanas.

you’re right, but there’s still plenty!

anyway, i’d trust a sylvanas discussion can happen, but the temptation to deviate, slag and troll such subject is too easy to fling.

sadly.