Synapse macros legality

Hi, I need an opinion about something,

I recently bought Razer Naga to play wow with and I realised you are able to make macros in the Synapse app. Now I have read up all about what is tos and what is not, using 3d programs while running wow etc. (for this reason I never started using AHK).

But the Synapse app got me thinking, what are the grey areas of making macros in seperate programs?

I’m a pure pvp player so I don’t care about boting, having scripts that run my proffesions and AH etc. But I like the idea of little macros that enhance my keybinds.

For a random example, let’s make a toxic blade/ mutilate macro … let’s say I have Mutilate on 1 and Toxic Blade on 2. I can spam it and it will always cast toxic blade and while that’s on cd, it will always cast Mutilate. You can’t do this with the in-game macros (castsequence stops at the toxic blade cd), but at the same time it still keeps the ‘one click, one action’ rule.

What would be the official response to this? Definetly banable? Allowed? I found only really conflicting blue posts about this, the moderators either say it’s ok, or that it’s definetly banable.

If it runs and doesn’t do anything impossible, e.g. it runs on scripts that work in game, it’s allowed.

So yeah unless you could somehow use the two abilities at the same time and break the GCD using the abilities at the exact same time and not one after the other it’s not allowed.

Not to be confused with ILLEGAL. Because breaking the TOS = / = illegal.
Like if you were to cheat and hack the game for fun, not profit, you would be banned but not put in jail, not like in some countries where hacking for profit will get you put in legal trouble.

It really should be allowed since you’re pressing a key and it does something. It’s not automated, the whole thing is manual. Much like the azeroth autopilot, does some crazy stuff but all is available via scripts in game and so is completely ok.

1 Like

Oh that’s grand, thanks a lot for the prompt response. I will still wait for other opinions though, even though I would love it to be allowed, I think some people could argue that by sending 1 and 2 at the same time I’m avoiding the fact, that you can’t make a ‘cd check’ macro in-game.

But I thought about even a more grey area: What if I make a macro for a mage that casts fireball if I’m standing and Scorch if I’m moving? Is that an automated gameplay or just a clever macro to seperate my important keybindings and I shouldn’t be penalised for it even though you can’t really replicate it with in-game macros?

Btw: It came out wrong about the legality, apologies :smiley: . Of course I know I wouldn’t be put in jail for using macros hahaha. I’m just worried for my acc getting banned even though all I want to do is to free up space for other skills by combining two spells on one button without a modifier, that works almost like if they were meant to be on one button in the first place haha

It is cheating imo. That and the gold-boosting in instances. Wow would be a much more fair place for competition (in a sport way) if those were gone.

Blizzards have acknowledged wowhead and curseforge (attached to twitch now ?). So if I am to find things about wow in other places I am on the mercy of the whole internet, and that is an intolerable thing. I have paid to Blizz and expect them to answer truthfully when I ask, and to inform me. Ive paid nothing to the owner of curseforge, so if I believe him when he lies to me that is on me (but I do trust them since Blizz have acknowledged them).

Did Blizz ever explain their own built in macro system ?
How can a player on his own find out that the below swaps spec in the game ?
/run SetSpecialization(GetSpecialization()==2 and 3 or 2)

Imo nothing except the game itself should be allowed, which leads to the comparison to poker(-tracker) on the internet. Its not poker anymore, its automated game play, the potential end of that is that the player doesnt partake anymore.

(Edit; I see Razer Synapse themselves write this on their website; Maximize your unfair advantage with Razer Synapse 3,…)

Hello Rivendale,
you are mixing a few things here. There is the Wow Game API and there is the programming language lua and the open support of WoW for their UI customization.

API Reference Examples

Lua Programming Language
-http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/

In combination with LUA there is the ingame API calls to game functions (note, three is a difference between calls in LUA and the JSON calls you see in the API documentation at the top), provided by Blizzard with Patchnotes (e.g. here in this forum):

Now “gold boosting” is another topic. Playing with players at a lower skill level is allowed and sending other players ingame currency (gold) is allowed. The act of transferring gold from one player to the other is indifferent to the act of simply offering gold as a gift. However, if you get real world currency (money) from that player you are using Blizzard owned elements which is not allowed.

Now, about those mouse macros: I am not sure. My initial thought is “Not allowed” because you are automating something which is not allowed to be automated ingame. I agree that this is a complex topic Rook. So there is a definitive “maybe” I guess ^^

WantToSell, WTS (Uldir hc boost) - inside the group finder ingame, it is possible there to report them for advertisement (right click), what is that then ?

And it is reasonable to believe that the gold they harvest end up in some transaction towards money/other good from outside the game, right ?
It is unreasonable to think that the players “at the top of the game”(those who can boost) risk their ingame community reputation for something else than outside the game incentives Id say.

I think one has to differentiate between the different actions that are taken here:
Allowed

• Players running together through a dungeon (the act of completing a dungeon)
  • Players sending gold to each other (transfering ingame currency from one character to another on the same (connected) realm)
  • Players buying gametime tokens with ingame currency (gold)

Not allowed:

• Advertising “boosts” (e.g. “WTS your dungeon key +10 in time”
  • Trading gold for real world money (important: Currencies like €, $ and so on != Blizzard Currency)

Well, this is a bit off-topic so we should maybe return to the question of using third-party macros here.

Back on topic yes, and this IS related.

No way, just NO freaking way that opposing faction players manage to root me just after I leap away in travel mode, were talking 10th of a second. It must be some kind of cheat wether they use lua, api or razor naga. For those who want and have the computer skills it is probably no problem at all to react with no button at all because some illegal “addon” program pushes the out-of-stun-trinket we had in the old days of wow f.ex.

Imo wow is that like when you can do two things in the push of just one button the line of cheating has already been crossed. Imo Blizz has always had an explanation problem with their built in macro system. Think like this; how did the first wow-player to use a macro find out how to write it ? Its impossible, how on earth could he/they figure out the slash command f.ex ? much less what comes after it.

No wow competition, wether its pve-progression competition between guilds or 1on1 in PvP is really fun unless both parties make use of the exact same resources.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.