Systems for wow only

Guys, so I am quiet embarrassed to write this down, as it is connected to the state of My PC.

Anyhow, my system requirements are from , I would guess 2011/2012 tops ?

It’s gtx 550 ti nvidia, 4gb of ram DDR2 and intel celeron ? Whatever it writes down dual core. Motherboard is quiet old, but sturdy.

Tell me, which components do I need to change in order to enjoy BfA without frame rate drops, Bg and raid lag. I can play and most of the time without lag at all, stable 40 FPS , but there is a thing, that sometimes my game just freezes and unfreezes after handful of moments , like 2-5 seconds or maybe longer depending on what. Epic BG and RBG are all freezing to the point where all spells been casted and I am probably dead ,

Tell me, what would be the budget to improve what I have or atleast remove the stutter and improve loading times.
Loading times and freezes are a big no no for me.
Not a brainier in PCs , but would like to have a normal decent one. Is it worth to buy used parts or what not, used pc . My OS is win 10 pro

what you’re describing sounds like a cpu issue, and if you’re on a ddr2 dual core that’s not all that surprising. the loading times are likely related to using a hard drive instead of an ssd as well.

what you’d need then is a new motherboard, processor and ram, as well as an ssd being a nice upgrade. my first thought with a computer like this is that it’s time to replace the whole thing, but if that’s not in your price range then that’s what i’d look to replace.

used pc hardware can be a great thing, or not. it depends on your local market. from my experience coming from a country with a good used market (sweden), “mainstream” platforms tend to have a small selection of components that are frequently overpriced. they do usually have a large selection of full computers, but they’re often not the best and often overpriced. there are hidden gems to be found, but they’re not the norm, and you need to know what you’re looking at to filter that out.

enthusiast communities tend to have a large selection of components priced fairly, as well as a small selection of full computers, also priced fairly. this is because enthusiasts usually build their own computers, and therefore don’t want to buy or sell full computers as often, as well as the generally higher level of knowledge leading to fairer prices.

with a bit of luck you can get a great discount on something you want by buying used, but it’s trickier if you don’t know all that much about computers, and you can end up wasting a lot of money, and then there’s of course the risk of getting scammed and the lack of a warranty.

I have to agree, the motherboard sounds like it could be unsupported these days and doesn’t get much notice with device driver improvements. DDR2 ram will offer some bottleneck but not much over DDR3 and 4.

You might also be stuck at slower SATA speeds as well as that’s been improved over the years so guessing SATA-I or II there where we’re in III mode now.

It is always best to ask questions when buying a used computer, such as where was it stored when in use, what the user does such as smoking which can lead to some damage to components if not cleaned regularly.

But you have to trust the person to speak the truth on how often they clean their computer, keeping it maintained and if they’ve ever done any overclocking on their system from motherboard/ram/cpu and gpu. All that would affect the price, no point buying something if some components were stressed too high in the first place.

And then the final question is what graphical setting you are comfortable in getting up to as well as resolution you want to play at. Higher the resolution and graphical setting, the more money you have to pay for a system to play it at say the minimal is 60fps.

There’s more room to play with if you’re only expecting to play at level 5-7 for instance and playing at 1080p or 1440p. Forget 4K though, that’s got a premium price at the moment still.

DDR2 'boards will be hopelessly underpowered for WoW; if for no other reason that the 'boards that use it may not allow for support of 8-16GB that modern machines typically get built with… Window 10 alone can happily use 4GB; WoW can use the same.

2nd user DDR4 system deals can be had for sensible money, if source them well - don’t fall for over-priced sheds because DDR4 is current generation - second opinions from ‘friends in the know’ are always useful.

WoW needs alot of single core performance, so the stronger the core, the better for the game: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html of course you will need a new MB + Ram for a new CPU cause yours doesnt support anything younger than 2010 or so. The GTX 550ti is also quite weak but should run the game just fine

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.