Taking responsibility for bug related issues

Hi,

I would like to discuss how Blizzard support handles situations where, due to in-game bugs , players are loosing resources. Currently it seems like there is no compensation for these events, which I find odd, since we, the players and paying customers of the game, pay for both subscription to the game as well as we have to buy the actual game/expansion.

My issue occured in Classic WoW where, due to a UI bug, the wrong quest was abandoned. Now, in some situations this isn’t a big deal, but for quests like Cuergo’s Gold, it was for me. After I was able to get the map fragments together and start the quest, I abandoned another quest to make room in my quest log. Due to a UI bug, where the selected quests ID doesn’t match the quest I have selected in-game, I losted Cuergo’s Gold which forced me to again grind the required map fragments to start the quest (not the best drop rates).

I made a ticket about this, where, after waiting 3 days for the first reply, I was told that (in summary) “you abandoned the quest by accident so we won’t compensate”. After replying that this answer was far-off, I got another answer (after 3 days again) which stated that (in summary) “intentionally or accidentally (or even in the case of a bug with your UI as you mentioned) abandoning a quest, the outcome is the same”.

As a software developer / junior IT consultant, I find it odd that Blizzard doesn’t take responsibility for their code. If there is a bug in a feature, in projects I am envolved in, usually we create service request tickets and compensate the user for either their “losses” due to the bug or, in a event where they didn’t ‘lose’ anything, for the time they spent informing us about a bug in our software. Especially if they are a paying customer.

Do you guys think that when a in-game bug, not counting bugs that were ‘apart’ of classic wow, takes away resources you have invested in the game (time, in-game gold and etc), you should be compensated or not?

1 Like

I’m going to call you a liar on this point, based on the content of your post. I feel that “Office Intern” would be closer to the mark.

A real developer would know and understand that Customer Support has zero to do with bugs, thats down to the developers. A real consultant would understand that Support has zero to do with refund policies, thats down to the senior management.

You also need to read the Blizzard EULA. Their bug policy is quite explicitly spelled out, and you agreed to it.

1 Like

As for calling me a liar, I work in a IT consulting company in Finland, on one of my current projects I am implemeting the SAP CX ‘full stack’ which consists of SAP products: Sales Cloud, Marketing Cloud, Customer Data Cloud and Commerce Cloud. Now I may give more information on these systems and the integrations between them, but I hope that THIS is enough to deal with your “null pointer”.

And as a reply to the ‘read blizzard EULA’ and statement that support has zero to do with handling tickets on in-game bugs, I disagree. There are polices set by Blizzard that define what Customer support can and cannot do, for cases like these.

Additionally this was a question on ‘What do you guys think’ and not ‘they are breaking terms of policy’.

There’s no proof there’s actually a bug with the UI about Quest Abandon. And even if you can proof that, they won’t compensate for that “small thing” because at the end, it doesn’t impact you. You have just to regrind a quest, it’s not a big deal, no point to compensante. I abandonned plenty of quest while leveling, and I never encountered that bug.

I was banned 2 day for nothing at the start of WoW Classic, I didn’t get compensatin. And I didn’t complain. Why ? This is a rich compagny, they doesn’t care about you and me, they care about GROUP of players.

If tomorrow you stop to pay for their license, one guy will replace you. The only way I know they do some sort of compensation is for in-game stuff that is really relevant and impact a GROUP of players, like the bug in BFA with Azerithe Residue Shoulder for Shadow Priest.