Tanking in Shadowlands

My main is a healer, and I do quite often see tank do some big pulls that are stressful af for him :smiley: So I suppose I gotta do the same, but how do I approach this?

Take for example, De Other Side, there’s a few packs that are pretty intense, like the start, taking those 2 packs at once. My question here is, do I basically kite them around?

Also got a paladin tank, but I find this play style more interesting (love both though). But I am not a pro tank or anything, I tanked in Legion, but in BfA I avoided it basically (also due to essences)

Whether you do big pulls or smaller ones, depends a lot on your party. If your healer and DPS can handle a big pull, go for it. Otherwise, pull smaller and safer (a wipe on a big pull costs more time than doing two pulls instead of one, but living).

The reason a lot of tanks pull big, is because it’s more efficient to cleave everything down. In some cases, you can even pop bloodlust on the first pull (like in Halls of Atonement), and have it up by the first boss again. Pulling big requires a healer capable of healing it; DPS capable of interrupting, not overaggroing right away, and staying out of bad (and using defensives too, to help the healer); and a tank that can build enough threat and kite when they don’t have defensives (personal or external) up.

It also depends on the key level too: there’s absolutely no need to pull big on keys below 10 or so, unless the party (or at least the tank and/or healer) outgears the instance.

Pretty much, yes. Mind you, you do that on Sanguine weeks anyway. =)

tank do some big pulls that are stressful

I’ve walked in your shoes and it’s not that bad, I’ve done with it the brewmaster, the only thing that trips me up is in big pulls, getting off those interrupts whilst keeping an eye on aggro bars across the team.

I can tell you it is far more stressful healing the team with these massive pulls that the tank does with healing classes that aren’t strong with group healing abilities when everyone and everything is taking damage, mistweaver monk sucks in this regard because of it’s limited toolkit and I have a tougher time, where as my priest breezes through in comparison… this leads back to my first point, getting off the interrupts in big pulls is the key.

I’d say if you plan to dive into tanking again, for trash pulls, start with small crowds and see how the team handles it, and then ramp up as you progress through the run if things are feeling good… watch out for some classes that like to pull for you…

1 Like

The first big pack is easier than the second big pack.

You can pretty much face tank the first one, if you have hunter/rogue/druid with you to dispel the enrage on the big add.

On the second big pack, interrupt the big guy’s (forgetting the name) it sounds like Shadow-something. And dispel the diseases often. Save most of defensives cds for the second pack.

Ring of Peace is incredibly powerful.

Transference gives a lot of value as well in terms of not out-ranging you healer. Kite pack one way, portal back, and during this your healer won’t have to run after you and can just hard-cast heals.

Going into difficult packs, start off with Dampening Harm, by the time that wears off, you would’ve purified few times which will bolster your next Celestial Brew.

Is that really true? When I heal as monk I know I can heal group damage. It’s not as direct as priest, though because I need to “ramp” up renewing mist but at some point everyone is buffed; then one Vivify heals the whole group. If you include to that a talent and rising sun kick healing anyone with mist, extending all hots etc., you end up as a good group healer. It’s just embarrassing to ask for a break every second pack because mw still burns mana. This is where monks suck, not that they haven’t got “tools”. I assume this is with regard to PvE.

Thanks for the advise, of course I won’t be doing anything big soon, I dinged 60 a few days ago, But catching up to do M0-+2/3s.

I also want to have a look at planning my route, is that something you’d be showing on a 2nd screen or something? I’m so bad at remembering every little details there, or is there something to help with that?

The Mythic Dungeon Tools addon can help with that, and Dratnos has good starter routes over on raider.io for each week. If you have a second monitor, https://keystone.guru/ is also a nice way to plan the route, and have it available for a glance.

1 Like

Once you have your route done in MDT, this weak aura will put a little chevron over the enemies’ nameplates if they are selected within the MDT.

https://wago.io/twT6CzqdD
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.