Tanks and Paladin

I have been playing some dungeons recently, keys vary from 18-22. As a healer I find this season being so much more heal-intensive than the last season with some exceptions. With that being said, I 99% of the times only invite or only join Protection paladin groups. I really see no benefit to playing with any other tank.

• As it is very healing heavy prot paladins come in clutch with easy fast heals.
  • Many affixes can be negated by having a port paladin, either loh for entagling, dispel for afflicted, cc for incorporal etc.
  • Bosses do extremely high burst dmg (forgemaster as an example). Having hand of sacrifice in these situations is clutch.
  • Having 30 bubbles is very good when half of every packs can oneshot everything.
  • every pack needs like 30 kicks this expansion? having prot paladin bring very many kicks.

I would say its close to troll to invite another tank than paladin, sadly.

My solutions:

• Either give every tank a dispel, give every tank a aoe taunt immunity. Give every tank hand of protection. Give every tank a chance to heal 50k hps to friendlies.
  • Or we could stop adding affixes and mobs/bosses tailored for only protection paladin??

PS: as a rdruid I really need protection paladin to cover for my non-interupts. Please give rdruid a kick without having to spend 2 gcds.

Thoughts?

1 Like

The game is so balanced - #paladinOrNoInv

1 Like

Or others who make group just replace resto druid with resto shaman who is currently superior healer and invite a guardian druid which is just as good as prot pal.

every pack needs like 30 kicks this expansion? having prot paladin bring very many kicks.

Heh? I guess you haven’t played S1, THAT was intensive on interrupts, S2 is completely chill. Sure, there are some key interrupts, but you can get away with a looot of things going off even around +20.

in which world is guardian druid on the same level as prot pala?

guardian druid compared to prot pala is trash tier level, of course only because prot is god tier.

prot pala is just way ahead of others due to all the utility and carry potential.

i didnt face any trouble with my brewmaster yet as i have a lot of tools for the new affixes as well, but the heals for group i dont have and immunities to cheese are also missing and brez is a biggy as well

brez is too much for prot palas in my opinion. without brez palas are still far ahead but there is no way they will remove bre, anymore so it would only to be fair to give monks and dhs brez as well considering dks and druids already have one as well…

2 Likes

Cause it does the same key levels as prot paladin? Guardian druid literally time +26 now. ‘‘trash’’ tier lmao. What makes you even think these prot paladins in random pugs will even heal you or use other utilities? Those are not very good players typically anyway.

Prot utility carry potential, blah, blah, blah.

Where was prot’s carry potential in s1? Where was prot’s carry potential in Shadowlands s1 and s2, and SL s3 and s4, and during BfA?

It had the same utilty. Why did every pug group not want prot pala and nothing else in those seasons if its utility gives it such ‘carry potential’?

This 100%. If you wanted a competent prot pala to tank your key, you needed to invite one when it wasn’t the meta tank. Most of the FOTM rerollers who are now playing prot don’t even know half of the utility exists, never mind how to use it.

1 Like

I mean… They also buffed the crap out of it twice and it was the best tank in the game in S1…?

As soon as it had comparable survivability it rocketed in popularity, then in 10.0.5 they made it functionally immortal with the talent changes.

Prot warrior was the ‘best tank in the game’ through most of season one. Prot paladin became stronger as an indirect result of the ret rework, and has been nerfed since then.

It was the best tank in the game for medium / MDI keys but started falling off in the weeks running up to 10.0.5 once players were doing significantly higher keys. Then when 10.0.5 hit the changes they received cemented them as the best tank in the game for high keys. The fotm wave came a little after that, but they were the best m+ pushing tank for over half the season.

The ret rework was in 10.0.7. I’m not going bother to dig too deeply into the rest of your claims, seeing as you can’t even get that right.

There’s also something I find curious about this. If prot pala is so much better than every other tank, why is every tank in the top 20 RIO rankings not a prot pala?

Right now? Pala got hit with some pretty big but also reasonable nerfs coming into this tier, also the dungeons are way less kick heavy so caster comps can get by without relying heavily on avengers shield and divine toll.

Last season pretty much every tank I knew / was playing with was either a prot paladin main, rerolled to paladin or a diehard one trick trying to make it work by half way through the season. I only saw maybe 2 prot warriors queuing above 3.4 (Tattman and Nextback), every top team was using paladin besides Mordrim brew and a DH on one of the non western servers. Warrior saw MDI rep

I don’t remember the specifics of when the transition to paladin started, but playing well above title range it was already picking up momentum weeks before the Ret rework. Even before the mdi people playing above title were mostly on prot paladin.

Perhaps you should explain that to the OP rather than to me. They’re the one who thinks prot is the current meta tank purely because of its utility.

Similar for me, to be honest, but that’s because I mostly play with guildies and my guild has a thing for paladins. I think our GM has an ambition to see the entire guild roster turn pink one day.

The latest trend among the top players seems to be prepping a VDH, so we’ll have to see what impact that has on tank popularity and rankings. I ran a couple of keys on mind last week, and it was doing massive damage, and that was without the 4-set. It will be very interesting to see what the damage output is when I get my set.

Seeing your main is actually a prot paladin and you got to 2750 score last season helps me put this into context.

Simple answer? Pugs are stupid and slow to adapt. By the time average 18-20 keys were inviting prot paladins as meta people who were doing 25-27s had been running them as the top tank for at least a month.

My main this season is technically ret because that’s what I raid on. I tank keys because it’s more convenient, for guild groups as well as pugs, where groups are often in need of a tank.

My main last season, when I got that score on the pala, was a feral druid.

I don’t think I pugged a single key last season on the pala, just tanked guild groups.

Ah, thankyou for the correction. I couldn’t find a druid but your experiences on prot paladin last season do line up with your rating range. Maybe coincidence? :stuck_out_tongue:

And yeah VDH seems to be the current prep at the moment but it’s early season so a lot of tanks are still playing their progress mains from raids. I’d expect the big swap over to come in a few months when weve got maybe 500 sarkareth kills.

Maybe. I know I didn’t start playing the pala much until about half way through s1, when I had some time away from the struggle of trying to get vault keys done as a dps (didn’t want to go guardian because laser bear was the only viable build at the start of the season and I loathe it).

It was around the time the first iteration of the rework appeared on the PTR, and the initial doom and gloom turned to excitement, and then the discord was full of rerollers asking the same questions over and over.

I’d be very happy if VDH does take the top spot. I can’t see myself switching and I don’t like playing meta specs. Too much hate.

So none of you have issues with pugging ulduman, NL, FH, VP, HOI on fortified? One cast going off without being kicked pr stunned and its close to gg or I have to heal 150k plus.
Freehold is a great example. Everyone saying its a free key, yet its the dungeon I have struggled with the most. Not one time have i done the dungeon where group have managed keeping brinescale adds stunned or kicked. One frost nova and everyone dies.

Just looking at rio atm and the top 20 runs are 50% prot paladins. On the phone atm but my guess is that tank diversity is even less in lower rio etc.

Ye prot pala is pretty strong vith high haste levels, you are basicaly invincible, and you can be a back up healer if needed. Also your talents encourage it, you can pick talent that when you heal someone with WOG you get 50% of that heal on yourself. And also Prot pala tank has most supportive utilities ingame from all the tanks, You can Sac someone, Bop/spellward, Offheal, freedom, dispel, you have stin, you have aoe Blind to interupt mobs casting. You can use immunity as prot and still keep aggro. You have supportive auras either Retri or Devo aura depends on the situations.I would not be surprised if they nerf this Tank After MDIs as i can guarantee you every top team will have prot pala,

Well, around 50% of the runs above +20 are done with a prot paladin tank, so this isn’t a surprise.

Blah blah blah… ‘prot pala is meta this season because of the utility it’s always had, even when it wasn’t meta’… blah blah blah.

2 Likes