TBC Rogue/Warlock 2's any good?

First you say that, then you say:

Ok, to explain, that, first you need to be aware that you always lost the same amount of points as the opponents won in TBC’s system. So the single point of inflation was only when a new unit of new characters was introduced to the ladder. Deflation would occur when a unit would stop participating, effectively “taking” that inflation with them.

So wintrading wasn’t really a thing in the same way as it is in refail, where the same teams keeps queuing into each other at 6 in the morning or w/e.
Because that’s only made possible from how you can win more than the opponents lose.

So for a team to be shot up to much higher back then through wintrading, they’d need a lot more teams at a rating possible to face the team that’d get boosted, to be used as “fodder” for it.

And yeah, so because that’s the way inflation worked, it depended 100% on the battlegroup itself, and how many participants in the battlegroup there were. Some were much easier than others.

I’m fully aware

I’m fully aware

No, but it was still a thing. I very clearly remember a paladin/rogue (pretty bad comp) wearing karazhan gear (pretty bad gear) hitting 3000 rating (and getting banned) in TBC by wintrading.

To some extent, yes, but it’s not really that simple either. Larger battlegroup generally means harder competition, meaning that it sort of evens itself out. The major contributing factor as to how high the ratings got was the length of the season.

In my battlegroup, rank 1 was around 2660 and glad around 2300 in season 3 (longest season), while rank 1 was around 2480 and glad around 2170 in season 4 (shortest season), and those numbers were pretty similar across most battlegroups, regardless of size.

Wintrading wasn’t a thing the same way it is in refail. The same way it was in wotlk. Pretty sure you’re thinking of wotlk now. Because that’s when it started, where people were able to manipulate the mmr in a way so that you could literally “wintrade” instead of just feeding a team as I described above.
(i.e. two teams could (and still can) give each other wins, and with a more volatile mmr was able to make it so both teams goes plus in rating instead of one dropping while the other goes up like in TBC.)

Again, seems you’re thinking of wotlk or any season since then. Because when the ladder can inflate from a single match, then the longer a season goes on, then more matches are played. Hence, more rating gets created at random parts in the ladder.
TBC’s system was 100% reliant on participation numbers to inflate.

Some people misunderstood the nature of TBC’s rating system to mean that when a team would delete their team and then create a new one, so that they thought it would inflate the ladder several times over from the same players. Except they would fail to understand that when they’d delete their previous team, they’d “take” the inflation they initially brought, thus even itself out each time, since the only point of deflation was when a team would stop queuing, and the only point of inflation was when a team would start queuing.
In other words, the inflation was determined by participation numbers only, while the rating was just a way for players to “fight for their ranking” so to speak, relative to everyone else.

So when they’d delete their team and make a new one, they’d just reset their place in the ladder. When a team would be sold, the people buying it would just start at a different place but the inflation would still be the same.

I’m not. The way wintrading worked, was you play up a team as high as you can, then hand the team off to some alts or whatever you’re using to wintrade, then you play another team up, and now you can wintrade. Repeat this enough times (which is what said team did), and you’re able to get to whatever rating you want, until you hit the cap of 3000.

Regardless, that’s not what the thread is about. Warlock/rogue is fine but not amazing, and SP/rogue is extremely strong, probably even stronger than mage/rogue.

Except that wasn’t actually wintrading per se, and it wouldn’t inflate the ladder. It would just feed their original team with the rating points earned at lower ratings, over and over again, assuming they’d each have two accounts and queue into each other, or else have volunteers do it for them.

It was just a way to feed one team from feeding it with another team. Over and over again. And that other team would collect the rating points it’d feed that original team, by taking it from other teams it’d meet on the way to the rating where it’d be possible to feed it to that original team.

Inflation isn’t actually determined by the highest rating on it in TBC’s system, believe it or not.

It was still rating being fed from other people, i.e. not from the team feeding the original team, except it was rating taken from people at much lower ratings than what matched the original team’s rating. Which was then given to the original team, via that other team.
It’s kind of like taking the bottom of a barrel, then taking the bottom from another barrel, and again and again and again, to put it all into a single barrel that’d then overflow.

The funny thing is, they’d still need a lot of teams to feed that other team, for that other team to then feed the original team later on. Which you’d either need a large network for with a lot of people to do it, or simply by taking that rating through legit arena matches, to then feed it to the original team.

Which is why it’s not exactly wintrading like in refail, where two teams creates new rating points near the highest point of the ladder over and over again, it’s more like funneling the lower rating to the highest rating over and over again.

Which is how it becomes like this:

It’s not that they inflated the ladder. It’s just that they took the rating from where they shouldn’t be able to, to feed the highest rated team.
Easier to police than the wintrading in refail imo. Since it’s pretty simple to spot a team that is being “fed” rating, even if it starts from low rating, due to this unnatural pattern of matchmaking. It’s much more unnatural than the wintrading in refail.

Also, just a PS:
This method of feeding a team, is much easier to do in low participation ladders. Which means it’s much harder in a giant battlegroup like in refail and Classic. It’s because it relies so heavily on controlling several queue matchups, not just for the boosted team, but also for that “other” team which is then used to feed the boosted team.
It takes a long time and a lot of effort just to pull off even in a low participation ladder (and much more effort and time in a high participation ladder), if they can’t play to that rating themselves.

So it’s not as much of a design flaw as you might think. And this method of feeding a team is still possible in refail, and has always been possible, since it simply boils down to intentionally losing whenever you face that team. Which r1 players can do for a team in refail, while they win vs. other players they might face, to only then lose vs. a specific team through an agreement beforehand.
It’s just that it’s harder to feed a team from the bottom if they can’t reach the r1 MMR on their own, in refail.

It’s more like the separation of MMR from the CR and creating more points of inflation has only made it easier to wintrade and made it require less effort and time, between players who can reach high enough ratings on their own. And that’s because none of them lose rating when they wintrade their way up the ladder in refail once they’re in a rating range where it’s possible to do it, while in TBC’s system then at least one side would have to lose rating for the other to gain rating since you’d always lose the same amount of points as the opponents won.

I just googled and found the movie I was quite fond of back in the day. It’s not an optimal setup I believe, but these guys took it to the highest rating and playing destro for sure is a lot of fun I remember.

Eh, not quite. 2200 in season 3 isn’t close to “the highest rating”, and on one of the least competitive battlegroups in europe.

But absolutely, it’s a fine comp that it is possible to reach glad with.

Here’s what SP/rogue is capable of though, on cyclone (by far most competitive battlegroup in europe).

Watched it, nice vid

TBC Mutilate Rogue , the best spec ever :slight_smile: i remember how i enjoyed playing it back in the days…

Heh…i used to play sp/rogue…sp/lock…sp/mage…sp/feral.
To be honest i liked sp/lock very much…
But sp/rogue was a superior combo.

Do not listen to those guys. RL and Sp/R are extremaly strong in BC and the people from the video which was linked Yanukovich and Pretender are multi glad players who are always top5 on every relevant private server. As rog lock you counter so many healer comps I dont even wanna list them. The setup is not faceroll tho and requires a lot of knowledge and skill but it is powerful in good hands. The fact that lock has a slow playstyle doesnt matter in this comp because it is about CC burst and Lock/rog can synegrize very well. Deleting a healer as rog lock is very easy - CS KS (most healers will trinket KS which is what you have to do) then you get vanish garote into coil into blanket spell lock x2 and you are just dead - no escape.

Priest rog is a bit weaker than RL and I agree that RM is the best comp for 2x dps for rogue but RL and SPR are strong. I played TBC Private servers for 10 years and trust me I know what I am saying :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Does it require specific race like for example UD , or… :thinking:? I really don’t want to play on horde :slightly_smiling_face:

Well 2x undead is indeed the best but human rog is also very good for this comp because of Human racial which is very crucial when playing double DPS. The opener is the most important part of the game for double dps comp. If you really dont wanna play horde I’d say play alliance - make sure the rogue is human. The warlock’s race doesnt matter that much. Warlocks in alliance generally have bad racials.

Every other team you play will have an UD Rogue … Keep that in mind …

Yes, back in the days i was Human and going again in TBC Classic, i remember Perception was so strong. On Private server was UD and man…i really feel Human rogues are kinda OP

can’t wait for tbc and arenas :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.