The Absolute WORST way to recruit?

Oh they haven’t died out. I remember I kept getting whispers from a furry guild every single time I logged onto Stallnorth. I did block guild invites, but even placing the person on ignore didn’t help cause it would be a different person whispering each time.

3 Likes

That’s a true shame :frowning: I do wonder if they do it manually these days or use another program/addon, because if they do: Blizzard please consider blocking this.

1 Like

There have been RP guilds with whisper recruitment macro’s. One guild master using this method whispered my character about 7 different times with it. (in the span of… 1-2 months?)

Maybe it’s the worst? Maybe not, but it’s really bad if you want to get members for your RP guild.

4 Likes

What can I say? They were really really a fan of this cool chad :sunglasses:

1 Like

They get one taste of the family brownies and they won’t stop asking for the recipe. :pensive:

2 Likes

Congratulations to that GM. He played himself.

2 Likes

In [Redacted Gilded Village Name].

Same guilds that will ignore you if you don’t join will treat you like a number if you do join.

Nothing of value lost.

1 Like

You’re basically saying to recruit characters for your story, instead of just anyone to pad your member count. And I couldn’t agree more. The best experience you can get in rp is when you know you aren’t just an extra that won’t be missed and your character’s arc is intertwined with others.

I understand some people don’t like this level of commitment, but to me this is the best part.

1 Like

Get BadBoy and the various extensions. It’s amazing how much free real estate you have in your chat once you’ve set it up.

1 Like

That is all I’m saying, yes. I think people got very hung up on the fact I’d used ‘‘the jerk’’ as my example, and I probably shouldn’t have, because rather than giving me the benefit of the doubt (in thinking that the ‘‘jerk’’ could be multi-faceted and add something to the RP), it seems most players don’t want jerkish characters around at all. — I have a feeling that has something to do with people taking IC OOC, but hey.

I had a discussion upon the premises of using mass guild invite not too long ago actually.

It was always my theory that the best recruitment is done without doing it if that makes sense, when I ran a couple of my own guilds I had started as most do standing around in Cathedral Square (which is boring as hell).

I turned my attention to attending more open based events and having more of a pressence, to an extent that more people saw who we were and was interested in what we did.

I don’t like the idea of randomly adding huge amounts of random players, rather get to know the members you already have, then build on from there.

I’d not recuit by standing around again if it come to it.

I’m most likely not one of many, but I do like the banners for an aesthetic point of vieuw, whilst it is still statue standing I find it has a certain charm when you pass by a certain area (example Cath Sq) and see multiple groups representing their banner.
From a officer/gm point of vieuw, it’s the least productive way to recruit and it makes for a boring night, if you still want to do it please just limit it so it’s not all your members do :slight_smile:

been in one merc guild where if you needed to afk they asked you to go stand by the banner. so only one person by the banner was actually “there”. But yeah it is one of the worst recruitment methods.

Heck, it’s the perfect basis for a rivalry. One character feeling replaced by another, newer character basically writes itself.

3 Likes

Admittedly, it’s not always easy dealing with jerk characters and not taking it personally on some level. I think if you’re going to have a jerk, you have to interact OOC and be friendly to whomever you’re playing with.

The worst I’ve seen was back on Defias. There was a new Ebon themed DK guild, and the GM decided the best way to build the guild up quickly was to stand in Acherus and mass-invite every single newly-made DK. It definitely worked in terms of sheer numbers in the short term, but they got a terrible reputation almost immediately because most of them were completely fresh to rp (or not particularly interested in rp at all) and would constantly godemote, gatecrash events, and spam toys at other rpers. Plus the initial peak crashed out after a few months because it was all led by the one officer who didn’t do much to actually keep or engage with their characters beyond recruiting.

1 Like

I’ve had a bunch of success with jerk characters without having to talk to people OOC about it too much by making it pretty clearly a weakness, their jerk elements are kind of pathetic or foolish rather than something that makes them a cool genius.

It’s not that people don’t want jerks around, it’s that we all have experience with players who are bad at playing a jerk and make it a boring, one note character where all the onus on making it function is on the people around- which is not cool, not interesting for said people. A character shouldn’t be entirely dependant of the others around going backward to be interesting, unless it’s planned as a duo with a friend.
So on that, yeah, Bad example. Because I agree that it’s nice when the arcs intertwine, etc. There’s just ways to do it.

1 Like

Barbours take as weird as always

1 Like