The Barbarian Challenge 2019 Revision

MY FAVORITE YOUTUBER NIXXIOM DID THE OLD VERSION OF THIS CHALLENGE https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17613101581

Back in 2016 I posted the Barbarian Challenge on the old forums under my old Horde toon Hawilem who has since been deleted. I’ve decided to re-write and re-think some aspects of the challenge to see if I can up the ante or balance it out. Have a read and tell me what you think.

The Concept

In world of Warcraft Barbarians live away from society and tend to live off the land directly honouring the lives of the animals they hunt by letting nothing go to waste. They are often skilled Hunters and viscous Warriors, feared and respected for their prowess in battle and mastery of the art of combat. I decided that this could end up being a fun challenge, something to test the new levelling experience introduced at the end of Legion.

The Playstyles

Honourable Warrior

Class – Arms Warrior

You live for the fight, the hunt and glory. With axe in hand you strive to better yourself in combat so that any who challenge you can only cower in fear, realising that fighting you was their last mistake. You are a master of two handed weaponry. You strike with precision, controlling your rage and using it to focus your attacks. You equally graceful and deadly, a sight to behold on the battlefield.

Noble Hunter

Class – Survival Hunter

You venerate the wilderness, you respect it as much as you respect your clan and family. When you take from the wilderness you let nothing go to waste. At your side stands a companion you have trained with since you could walk and you are as one on the battlefield, side-by-side to the bloody end if need be.

Preserving Shaman

Class - Enhancement Shaman

Azeroth is your home, whether you came here from distant worlds or were born here you have decided to do everything in your power to protect the balance between the Elements. From a young age you forsook society and dedicated your life to the wilds, free of faction politics and the wars that accompany it.

Races – Dwarf, Orc and Tauren

Professions – Leatherworking and Skinning with Cooking and Fishing so that you can live off the land.

The Rules

No Auaction House
No Archaeology
No Pet Battles
No Twinking eg. Sharing gold or items between characters or from friends
No Helmets at all
No Dungeons
No EXP boosts
No Heirlooms of any kind
No Grouping
If you die, DELETE THE CHARACTER
Talents are allowed
You may turn in Warmode if you wish for that extra challenge
No Hearthstone (delete it asap)
No Portals

You can use any weapon you wish of any quality for your class. With weaker armour you will need the extra attack power to even the playing field.

You can only wear gear you craft yourself and it must be leather. Do not craft any of the mail armour from Leatherworking. None of the armour you get from quests will be usable in this challenge since it’s going to be either Plate or Mail.
Potions are okay but only ones you loot, no buying them.

The Reasons

Why the Chosen Races?

Not all Orcs, Dwarves or Tauren are barbaric but there are those in their races or society that live away from the hustle and bustle of cities and towns. The Wildhammer Dwarves are a good example of Dwarvish Barbarians and Orc’s and Tauren are much more connected to nature and the elements so live very shamanistic lives with some spending all of their time in the wilds.

Mag’har Orcs and Highmountain Tauren are allowed but you must get rid of your mail or plate starter set as soon as possible.

NO OTHER RACES CAN BE PLAYED

Why no Quest Reward Armour?

Simply because you live off the land. You eat the meat and wear the hide of your kills. You can wear armour of any quality so long as it’s armour you make yourself. Armour you loot from bodies is okay too.

Conclusion

I hope these revisions make for a fun challenge. If it’s too easy I may make some more revisions but for now I’m happy. When you hit level cap you’ve completed the challenge and may do what you wish with the toon. Continue to play by the rules, delete it or just play normally.

Let me know what you think below

3 Likes

You can no longer do first aid unless you take tailoring.
You are crafting mail from the land - scales.
Why no helmets?
Why not other specs?
What about shamans? You mentioned that as a reason for Tauren etc.
How do you expect people to level in Outland/Northrend with no flying mounts given there is content only accessible via flying?
Surely warmode would be suitable for some given they’re barbaric? More likely to die, I assume.

Oh and finally. Have you completed your own challenge? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

First aid is no longer available to anyone but tailors.

I think that transmogging everything you can to invisible should be mandatory too.

Miss that content out?

I doubt that.

You should also be able to sell your services to others for gold. Conan wore a helmet and had a horse so why not?

Now that is stupid. Kinda like the race choices.

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me about First Aid, fixed that
Most of the reasons I chose are because there’s a little bit of roleplay involved in this but if you want good reasons I’ll try.

Leather Armour Only - None of the classes wear it as their main gear type, to me this will make it more challenging. Also any armour you do get will be Plate or Mail which is not allowed for this challenge.

Why no Helmets? - A Helmet makes the kill impersonal, you can’t properly look at your prey or enemy in the eyes with one.

Why not other Specs? - More for role-play reasons but each spec is melee so that you’re not kiting and making this too easy/any easier

I have added Enhancement Shaman to the list.

I have removed the travel restrictions save for portals and hearthstones.

The no PvP rule was something I missed, Warmode to your hearts content.

Have I completed my own challenge? No, I just thought it up and am currently doing it myself.

Thanks for the input ^^

Interesting, thanks for the answer and nice to see some additions. I don’t pvp personally but thought it might be nice for others interested. What are you playing, out of interest?

I decided on Tauren Warrior, remade Hawilem lol

Since Heirloom weapons give no XP boost are they allowed?

Is this challenge for Classic?

I get the rest, but I wonder:

1. Why not wear items that drop for you? I mean, Barbarian, living from the spoils you can take?
  2. Why accept quests? Surely a Barbarian avoiding civilisation doesn’t take orders from anyone, especially when there’s nothing in it for them.
  3. I’d also disallow Archaeology and Pet Battles. Perfectly good XP, but not really suitable.
  4. I’d also feel inclined to disallow entering cities.

I might refine this one to be that you can only enter cities to buy things you can’t find anywhere else, and you then have to leave again immediately.

It would make sense for a barbarian to be able to enter a city if there was something there they desperately needed and couldn’t source themselves, but they wouldn’t like doing it. :slight_smile:

Misdirected passion… such a waste

They’re a little overpowered so I’m going to say no, sorry

Vantheas, I didn’t write this with Classic in mind but I don’t see why you can’t do it :slight_smile:

Grálnne, I see your point about the looting, I’ll amend that. Quests are purely optional, do them or don’t. I will add No Archeology or Pet Battles to the rules, thanks for the heads up and I agree with about the cities. You can go to them, you just don’t live there.

Podruge, what do you mean? haha

Thinking about doing this challenge as a Survival Hunter.
What are you thinking about the gear and weapon situation there?
I mean you start with ranged weapon and mail, do you change out the mail to leather as soon as you can buy it or do you keep the mail and start crafting leather at lvl 5 and do you use ranged weapon all the way to lvl 10 or do you get a 2-hander asap anayway?

Due to being unable to pick spec until level 10, I think you would have to stick to a bow. You could always post yourself some basic leather clothes from the vendor and put them on instead before you officially start. Think of it as no different to setting up your action bars!

But why? 10charactersssss

Good to know, thank you, and do you maybe know how it stands regarding recipes/plans, can you buy from vendors or it is only the ones the trainer can teach you?

No idea but my view would be if you earnt the money, why wouldn’t you get the recipes? It’s basic trade. If you’re fine to go and talk to someone and learn recipes, I don’t see why seeking someone who sells them is much worse. You pay either way. That’s just my opinion though.

1 Like

Interesting idea… Makes me wonder why there’s no Barbarian class in WoW.

Don’t mind him… He just goes from post to post to criticize whatever people are doing :stuck_out_tongue:
At least that’s what I think he’s doing.

Cool challenges

Hey if you want to play as a survival Hunter while still sticking to the rules go for it. Use ranged weapons until level 10 and then switch to survival. A pet is okay since your skills need one but you can only use your first pet.

As for buying recipes from vendors, yes that’s okay but no Auction house