The Battle for Azeroth Theory!

Ok so I have been thinking hard these past few weeks on The BFA and this is going to be my theory on what is going to happen.

Also feel free to add or dispute my theory but please keep it civil.

So far in BFA Sylvanas has been the focal point of everything and for good reason, I believe our attention is being kept on Sylvanas for a reason, she is being used as a scapegoat for what is going on behind the scenes. Now hear me out here before you grab your pitchforks.

In my theory I believe that the Light is coming, the Void is already here and both of these forces see Death as an obstacle for their goals. Both in some capasity want to either ¨Consume¨ everything or dominate the minds of mortal beings, instilling their own ¨View¨ on how things should be.

Now I know not all sides of either is bad but lately we have seen more of the extreme sides of both, and these sides are what conserns me.

¨The Light seeks one path and shuns all others as lies¨
¨The Void seeks every possible path and sees them all as truths¨

We saw how the Void reacted to Sylvanas and how it tried to make Alleria kill her there and then, The Light has never been fond of undead either.

Now I will say this right now, I believe that the Battle for Azeroth is literal and not a faction war, the Battle for Azeroth will be us fighting to keep our world free from the extremes of both the Light and the Void. And I believe that Death will play a big role against both.

Now I don’t believe that we will all turn undead, far from it but Death will be on our side against them.

We have seen the madness and destruction that the Void can cause and recently we have also seen the tyrannical side of the Light.

While Sylvanas has schemes of her own and I do believe that in the end she will step down or be removed as Warchief, I don’t believe she is the big bad, I believe that our attention is being kept on her on purpose to keep us from seeing what is coming for us.

The Faction War is simply a smokescreen in my opinion, it was forced to keep us occupied, not by Sylvanas but the other forces at hand, I think her hand was forced to make a move in order to prepare us all, remember her quote from the cinematic ¨We have forgotten what makes us strong¨.

The Alliance and Horde have always been fighting and through those wars each faction has become considerably stronger thanks to each other, neither side could have stood alone against the horrors that we faced, and I believe this time Sylvanas forced anotehr conflict to prepeare us for what is coming.

Im sorry for rabbling so long, please leave your thoughts below but pelase keep it civil and out of character.

No, she is the focus of our attention because she committed genocide.

We saw how the Void reacted to Sylvanas and how it tried to make Alleria kill her there and then

That’s already been debunked. The Void also tried to have Alleria kill Turalyon. Sylvanas is not the messiah who will defeat the Void, and the Void is not afraid of some Banshee on a random world.

The Light has never been fond of undead either.

Not really, when Sir Zeliek and Calia Menethil exist.

Now I don’t believe that we will all turn undead, far from it but Death will be on our side against them.

We have seen the madness and destruction that the Void can cause and recently we have also seen the tyrannical side of the Light.

We have also seen in Wrath of the Lich King how Death isn’t any better.

I think her hand was forced to make a move in order to prepare us all

How did she prepare us all by destroying an entire civilization and starting a world war, i.e. Exactly what the Old God wants?

1 Like

She started the whole thing, you can read her inner monologue and thoughts in Before the Storm. Unless Sylvie is so amazing that she managed to break the 4th wall and, in an orc-like fashion, trick the reader.

What “behind the scenes” things are blamed on her she has nothing to do with? For as far as I know, we have blamed Sylvanas only for things SHE did, and not someone else.

The Light and the Void don’t “want” anything, that is a categorical mistake. There are prime beings, the Naaru and the Void Lords who want things. The Light and the Void do have a tendency to fill the cosmos with their energies, and it is in their nature to spread, but the Light nor the Void cannot suddenly expand to Azeroth with the help of the Old Gods or the Naaru.

But even Death is not “safe” from the radical powers… the Light can cleanse the Undead, as was done with Calia. You overestimate the value of Undeath: you can still be corrupted or purified, and you are not excluded from either powers.

This, however, is probably true, since this is always a leading theme of the WoW expansions: in Cata, Deathwing was supposed to be the bad guy, and he was still the final boss, but the Hour of Twilight was far more important. In MoP, it wasn’t the faction war that was central during the final patches, but the Old Gods again (with Garrosh absorbing Y’shaarj’s powers). In WoD, the bad guy turned out to be Gul’dan, and in Legion it was Argus (with only very few occasions during which we actually saw Sargeras).

BfA is not going to be any different, we WILL be confronted with the Light and the Void later on, it’s basically confirmed that N’zoth will play a key role as the bad guy. Sylvanas was just the start.

And how would Sylvanas have such supreme knowledge of the upcoming events? We learned of her thoughts in Before the Storm, and nothing suggested that she had a more noble agenda. She is out for power. If the Void is rising and growing and plotting as we speak, Sylvanas is not a part of it yet.

1 Like

I really don’t buy any theory that is build on this. We know the voices of the Void make people go crazy. We know that Alleria isn’t an ally to the void, but trying to use it against itself. But we are supposed to take a whispered rant against Sylvanas as the void exposing its very real weakness to death magic to Alleria, and Alleria, who was trained to interpret the voids whispers… doesn’t react in any way. We, the readers, are supposed to see that the secret to beating the void lies in undeath, but Alleria, who has the voice in her very head, can’t see it.

So this explanation doesn’t sound that reasonable. But ist here an alternative explanation? Oh yes, there is. The void whispers seem to suggest to her to kill about anyone. It isn’t set on making her do anything specific, it’s just wearing down her control and sanity. Like it usually does. And even if we assume that the degree of agitation it showed towards Sylvanas was unusual, it seems to fit perfectly with this concept. It pushes harder, if there is a greater chance to actually achieve something, if there is actually some doubt to work with. Killing Sylvanas, the desecrated corpes of her little sister, who is waging war against her allies. looks like quite a reasonable suggestion, compared with killing her husband or her living sister, so it has the greatest chance of success here.

Of course, WoW’s writing team often makes questionable decision and they might do it this time, but I don’t think the hints are as reasonable as many seem to assume.

By the way, looking at WoDs Shadowmoon Clan for example, Void magic seems quite able to and happy with creating undead.

1 Like

I’ve seen aliance posters try convince me of that many times over.

As for the overall thread there could be various ways to go about it, including a “trial” or somesuch. Not saying it would be good nto saying it would be good. Just saying i can see them doing it.

1 Like

I think Alliance and Horde will battle almost to extinction then when we are weak N’zoth will pop up from the ocean. The sign things are about to happen will be when the red star goes away.

Well according to the Cthulu mythos; N’zoth won’t rise before all stars align aka. the five great events(keys) have come to pass. Also the five people(torches) who put these actions in motion walk on Azeroth. Togheter these events and people are described as the circle of stars, simply put to find N’zoth involve yourself with these people and events. The circle are near it’s completion and N’zoth will rise once all of these things come to pass(the circle of stars made flesh).

Another requirement are that; all of mankind, free and wild and beyond good and evil, with laws and morals thrown aside and all men shouting and killing and revelling in joy. Which are the faction war bits… atm. we certainly are tossing alot of morality aside to achive certain goals, even so much as cast of our gods(Sira and Deralyn), The light making undeads(Calia). Both horde and alliance really revell in this carnage one way or another.

Now Azshara arrives and once she’s defeated the way for N’zoth have made clear. However the old ones won’t fully assume rule over the world before N’zoth is defeated.

Alleria will try to absorb N’zoth according to her own prophecy, which whould become her; 3:rd metaphorical death(rebirth) aswell as she uses a bow(when the arrow strikes true). Since Alleria lost her purpose, one could say that the void filled that purpose for her(Her heart is a crater and we have filled it).

This last bit also fit Sylvanas. Because if you listen to the wordings of her pact with the Val’kyr:
"Sylvanas Windrunner, Dark Lady, queen of the Forsaken… you may walk with the living again through the sisterhood of the Val’kyr. As long as they live, so too shall you. Freedom, life… and power over death. This is our pact. Do you accept our gift?

Which means that Sylvanas only died twice; Arthas and commiting suicied. All the visions presented filled her heart with purpose. Sylvanas also use arrows ofcourse… then she are in possesion of Xal’atath which probably whould allow her to absorb N’zoth in the same matter as Alleria can absorb the void.

But well the circle ain’t yet complete so we will have to see what happends. But this is what i assume will happend in the future.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.