The Engoodening of WOD

WOD received a fair share of hatred when it was current and continues to do so to this day. But was it really that bad? I disagree.

Sure it lacked content somewhat.
But the content we got was rock solid.
Classes that were fully functional out of the box, without any busywork grinds required except for leggo ring questline. Which is hardly comparable to legion and BFA busywork.

Dungeon and raid content which was very well polished. Highmaul - a good raid, albeit a bit too short lived. BRF - one of the best raids ever. HFC - great across the board, lasted too long.

WOD needed patch 6.3 to be great.
-new raid with ca. 10 bosses
-3 new dungeons
-introduction of Mythic+ system
-released early 2016, after 7 months of HFC, 8 months prior to Legion release

Do i really need more content than this?
Hell no.
I don’t give a flying damn about world quests, daily quests, assaults, horrific visions, warfronts, island expeditions and all that other pile of stinking garbage. It’s not content, it’s grindy menial busywork that’s only filling up your game time and boosting their player engagement metrics.

I’d rather have the mission table to sort out any gold, reputation and AP needs i might have in 2 minutes a day, and then i can spend almost entire available online time doing real content. Like, dungeons. Raids. PVP. Not bothering with corruptions, azerite traits, essences, grinding 10 different currencies, not having a god damn clue whether my character is even progressing (see recent PvP scaling videos!)

Unfortunately, Shadowlands is not looking better than BFA.
More stupid systems
More singleplayer busywork
More unasked for features

The heck happened to you blizz? And to this game?

11 Likes

WoD was bad because while the classes could be argued to be better than today they were a definite downgrade from MoP. The biggest problem with WoD still to this day is that there was absolutely nothing to do.

Some good things about WoD: the raids were good. I liked each tier. Dungeons were great too. But honestly after that, I can’t really come up with anything that was too great.

leveling in wod was much better than in bfa, CM rewards, pvp vendors, no unnecessary grind, heck I even enjoyed doing weekly stuff in my garrison more than I enjoy world quests in bfa.

7 Likes

I wish I had time to play WoD.
I wish I didn’t had time to play BFA.

Cheers.

3 Likes

Somewhat. Somewhat?
You somewhat remember how little content WoD had.

I’m confused what this post is meant to be.
“If WoD had a great extra patch it would have been good.”? Like… duh? Could say that about anything…

Haha. No, WoD was genuinely awful. Apexis grind was far worse than anything in BFA, dungeons were completely obsolete even with Mythic difficulty, only worth they had was Valor.
Keystones would not have come in a patch anyways. They’re an expansion feature.
It had some of the worst rep grinds with several requiring nothing but mob grinding. You had next to no reason to log on unless it was to raid or do followed missions, which are a large reason why we need such obscene gold sinks now; thanks WoD, for such dumb inflation.

I’m sick of people pretending WoD was decent. The raids were good past Highmaul and that’s it for PvE players.

If it’s half as good as BfA, the greatest expansion since forever, then I’ll be happy.

This thread’s cromulence is debatable.
:grin:

WOD was fine, the people that hate it they are just sulty, they could add a couple of things to make it more interesting, but overall it was simple and the gameplay was fun

2 Likes

WoD was guilty of having the most cut and abandoned content from any expansion

indeed, it was sad to see, it had the potential to be great but there were so many cutbacks.

I mean, they had the gameplay mostly down but they were missing so much content, arguably if they had just not put the garrison or mission table in and diverted resources to other content it could have developed into one of the best. (and they keep making this kind of mistake)

1 Like

Wod didn’t have much to do for casual players and reputations were horrible. As for the patches, Fury of Hellfire was meant to be 6.3 patch. 6.2 was meant to have Shattrath raid.

World Quests, assaults, warfonts, horrific visions, island expeditions are great pieces of content if you don’t grind them. They are great if you do them once in a while. Do a few world quests. The game should just be about raids, dungeons and battlegrounds. Doing pet battles from time to time is fun.

I never played WoD at the time where it was the current xpac. But oh boy, even just questing around in WoD is boring as hell.

I hate that I agree, but I agree?

I actually liked being able to log for raids and dungeons (and occasionally battlegrounds) and not worry about anything else.

Admittedly, garrisons should never have been resource producers, but that’s a different matter.

What I did hate about WoD was… the environment. Not that the visuals were poorly done, they were actually pretty good, I just didn’t enjoy the theme at all. There wasn’t a zone on the map where I thought “ah, yes, I’d like to spend more time here” and as a result I never bothered with even one alt.

OTOH, I do understand that some players want reasons to spend more hours in the game. I’m here for the bants, I only care about group content; others are here for something to do with big clusters of empty hours. All of the extras are here for them, and I get that - but I wish it hadn’t been quite so mandatory. My alts all stall when they hit cloak rank 5 and 3/4 essence slots filled. It’s… a grind to make a character viable.

Imagine enjoying bfa gameplay and content and hating WOD :joy: hilarious

I keep being reminded by statements like this.
There is this documentary, it might be going by the name “looking for group” or that might’ve been another one, can’t recall exactly…

In this documentary, one of them mentions how their agreement with their overlords was that so long as numbers proved positive, they were free to do practically anything. Go figure.

For the record I’m aware of the PR blunder that they had made a profit and downsized in spite of this, that’s not indicative of the game’s quality from a business perspective.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.