The Entities of Death and Decay

I think I’ve figured it all out already, it’s been there all along. Vol’jin’s death was not random, it was planned all along. And the beings that could whisper to him was more than likely someone who has power over life and death.

Not too many would benefit from Sylvanas current position, but there are a few.
The Lich King showed signs early on in Legion that he hasn’t given up on what Ner’zhul and Arthas started. But instead of doing it himself, he uses the same cunning and manipulation tactics that Ner’zhul used, contrary to Arthas.
So if the Lich King hasn’t given up on his grand design on Azeroth being turned into a world united in undeath, he knows that acting in the shadows lies in his best interest right now. So through his vast consciousness and telepathic powers, he knew that if he sent the Val’kyr to her, feigning that they broke free from him instead, to act as the enforcers of his will and they would empower Sylvanas and give her the necromancers she needs to bolster her forces greatly, which she has, becoming the largest army in the Horde after Siege of Orgrimmar.

That showed the others that she has what it takes to lead an even greater army, the Horde. Which she intends to use as the vessel of destruction that it was created to be.
And Sylvanas is desperate, since after Stormheim, she made her deal with Helya which was about to grant her power over the Val’kyr Queen and make Sylvanas unstoppable. But since that failed, Sylvanas now owes Helya and from what it looks like, she cannot uphold her part of the bargain.

That’s where Bwonsamdi comes in, since Helya also works in the same ways that Bwonsamdi is, except she was transformed into the first spectral Val’kyr, while I think Bwonsamdi got his role from something much more ancient.

But, I think that Helya is the one who is after Sylvanas head. I’m fairly certain of it.
Remember her words? “Do not dare to cross me, banshee!” - Helya, after their bargain was made.
Both Helya and Bwonsamdi each has their ties to the Shadowlands, but the Lich King is the only entity so far to actually control larger parts of it.
Bwonsamdi has his place there aswell, but nothing like the Lich King, since he went into the Shadowlands with his newly created Val’kyr and asserted his dominance. I as we heard recently, the Frozen Throne is so much more than it appears. People think that Bolvar is trapped in his merging period, hah!
No, he just has no interest in leaving. He sees everything, can reach out across the entire planet and corrupt minds from afar, thereby gathering his own agents if he needs to.

Either way, Helya is pissed but trapped in her own realm that’s not quite the Shadowlands, so she wants out or atleast to get to the proper realm I would assume. So she must certainly have something to hold Bwonsamdi hostage as or she has simply offered him something in return?

Why else would Bwonsamdi, who is in the best position he could possibly get as the Zandalari’s prime Loa, which grants him power over the whole kingdom and the troll race.
But he would not trade that away so easily if it weren’t for Helya(or someone else) demanding him to put an end to Sylvanas.

We saw the power of Bwonsamdi’s reach in the Battle for Dazar’alor, where we would go to lenghts he rarely does to keep King Rastakhan alive.
But he is only as powerful as the souls he can draw power from, atleast when he puts on the big guns like that. But when the minute his powers were exhausted, he retreated to the background and appear on the throne, telling King Rastakhan that his time is up and it’s his own age and flaws that’s gonna be his death in mere minutes. When in truth, Bwonsamdi had fully exhausted his powers obviously, so he would not risk anything (although I doubt we as players could kill him as he is an entity of Death.

Either way, I’m fairly certain that Sylvanas will use Xal’atath either to entrap Helya and use her powers to make herself a goddess of Destruction and Creation, just like in the vision she herself saw. Or it might be Alleria aswell, although atm she is not powerful enough to turn to tide of the whole war alone.
It could end with Sylvanas either taking Helyas place, then she won’t have to face the true horrors that she fears so deeply. Or it could also end with Sylvanas leaving for Northrend or some other place, join up with either an undead faction or a third faction with the followers of N’zoth.

It’s not too many other ways it can go, Sylvanas isn’t really easily corrupted, even with the Blade in hand, it’s empty and she is an undead, which means that she is alot harder for the Old God’s to corrupt.
Most undead we see in the Twilight’s Hammer are Forsaken who have embraced the Void and the madness willingly. Since their corruption works best on beings of flesh and living beings with a living biological system, since that’s were the emotions comes from, it’s hard for them to corrupt those who have none and even harder with the one’s who ontop of that has a strong will, like Sylvanas.

And the Lich King, when we went there to ask about Vol’jin’s spirit, he was pretty much lying?! We saw him during Legion and we know full well that he doesn’t give a sh!t about wether Sylvanas tips the balance or not, that’s Bwonsamdi’s thing.
So we know he already started to rebuild the Scourge in Legion, raising both Vrykul and dragons alike. At the same time he manipulated events so that the Ebon Blade re-entered into his service, “willingly” even though it was quite obvious that he knew the outcome for Darion and after he was brought back as the leader of the Four Horsemen, they are now bound to the Lich King’s unwavering will.
So he felt like he wasn’t truthful at all, I think that there is more there to the story.
We shall see!

3 Likes

There are a lot of theorizing and guessing and speculation about this little plotline.

I love it!

It’s like everything about Vol’jin’s story is made to make the brains of the lore geeks work overtime. :rofl:

From what I’ve gathered so far, then there are some clues.

We learn from Eyir that Vol’jin has been touched by Valor.

We also learn that whoever is responsible for what has happened to Vol’jin may not be the same as who is responsible for whispering to him that Sylvannas should be Warchief. So we may be looking for 2 names, not 1.

We also learn that the power to do whatever has happened to Vol’jin is beyond the ability of Eyir, and presumably also Bwonsamdi and the Lich King.

My own little speculation is that N’zoth is behind the whispering, wanting Sylvannas to be Warchief.
And behind Vol’jins….transformation… is Sargeras. Before Sargeras became The Dark Titan he was known as The Defender and the noblest of all the Titans. There’s some valor associated with his being.

It all has to go somewhere, and that somewhere has to be Azeroth and the World Soul. That’s sort of the core theme of the expansion. And both N’zoth and Sargeras seek Azeroth, but for their own reasons.

I don’t think it’s the Lich King. Yes, he’s the jailor of the damned, and he surely is plotting something. But I think what this is all about is Azeroth. I mean, the story has to stay within the realm of relevance to the expansion. And right now it feels like everything is orbiting that main theme – which is the title itself – the Battle for Azeroth.

But we’ll see. It’s a super exciting plot line for sure! :yum:

Neat, nice theory. But the only thing is Sylvanas just straight up leaving the Horde and the battle vs Alliance to make sure her fears are averted will make loads of players upset, especially Horde as it will result in Horde’s defeat, unless the war is stopped somehow.

To be honest I would want to see Sylvanas’s story end in that fashion - you mentioned, rather then being another raid boss.

And that might also mean we have to deal with LK v2.0, which would be lame.
Otherwise very nicely thought out, doubt Blizz will give something so well thought out story-wise though.

Well, Vol’jin has been remade into a being of Valor and Righteousness, just like Odyn’s elite warrior caste. So it’s not too farfetched to see the connection there.
However, it’s not the Lich King who transformed Vol’jin, no.
The Lich King is the most powerful necromancer in existence, the unholy magics he uses to ressurect, bind and control the undead masses of the Scourge is the most twisted and unnatural form of Death and Decay, while Bwonsamdi draws his powers from the natural element of Death.

However, even Bwonsamdi recognize the Lich King’s vast influence not only in the realm of the living, where his reach is basicly unlimited. But also his control over the Shadowlands. He created the spectral Val’kyr, whom where just like himself, spectral beings that can shift back and forth into the Shadowlands on will.

I don’t think the Lich King is involved in the Sylvanas mystery, but we know he was lying when he said that he doesn’t approve of Sylvanas tipping the balance too far. He basicly just repeated what Bwonsamdi had said and with his vast consciousness being able to reach across the entire world of Azeroth, he felt very dishonest.
He might not have anything to do with this particular mystery, but he isn’t against Sylvanas actions or the direction she takes either.
You have to remember, Bolvar Fordragon is long dead and gone. The entity that sits upon the Frozen Throne now is the Lich King and his power and the Frozen Throne, is a direct anchor from our world to the Shadowlands.

As for who is behind Vol’jin’s rebirth? Doubt it is Sargeras, that would only be lame. He is imprisoned and was already weakened before that.
If anything, it is either the other Titans or perhaps Odyn? Maybe he hasn’t got the power.

And the whispers to Vol’jin could definitely be N’zoth. But at the same time, we clearly see that it’s Death magics involved in the questline?
Sylvanas will awaken the dormant Blade of the Black Empire, but I don’t think N’zoth will be able to completely corrupt her through it, no.
He sees her as someone he cannot corrupt and control as easily as the mortal races, but he can still manipulate the events around her.

Giving her the Blade for her to use to drain the Lifeblood of Azeroth into it, or maybe she will use it against Helya, since I bet Helya is coming for Sylvanas for breaking their pact when she failed to enslave Eyir.
I cannot see how Sylvanas would’ve had anything to offer Helya after that?!
So she most likely did not fulfill her bargain with her.

And I find it hard to even suggest Sylvanas could even try to imprison N’zoth in the Dagger, no. Xal’atath was imprisoned after she was defeated by her brothers forces and used in a sacrifical ritual where they consumed most of her being, except for her essence which was imprisoned there so that her tormentors could use her as their weapon.

Nice theory.
Nerzul is dead according to the dev’s and while it is entirely possible they recon that.
The lich king being its own indenity might work.
Using bodies as an tool.
Tho without frostmourn it shoud be significantly weaker.
It would be in its best interest to not provoke the alliance and the horde.
I mean the stuff we killed would scare the lich king.

Personal i am entertaining the thought that sylvanas takes over the helm of domination to become the lich queen.
The twist is that instead of enslaving the undead she offers a second chance in life as undead for those who died.
Making her godess to the forsaken.

It is entirely possible elune or azaroth upgraded vol’ijn
Bowamsandi, the lich king and hyla are powerful yes.
But power is relevant.
Compaire to the titans there all laughable weak.
And compaire to elune.
While if the rumours are true she makes the titans look weak.

Blizzard might be adding an entire new set of gods or meaby embodiments of magic to act as loot pinjata’s.
Meaby that go with the you cant kill them because then that type of magic stop existing.

I like your theory but i doubt it is what blizzard has planned.
Far more likely there searching for a to fix there story mistakes.

My tinfoil guess is… Helya has a deal with Sylvanas, and she is the one who whispered to Vol’jin to make her warchief. Odyn is aware of Helya’s actions and is head of the Halls of Valor. he also has little interest in mortal thrones. He could have brought him back with the aid of his Valkyr.

I’m pretty Certain Bwonsamdi could had saved Rastakhan, heck even killed the Alliance Heroes if he so, pleased.

However Bwonsamdi seems to be Operating under a Code of conduct of Sorts. Connected to the Whole Balance thing meaning he can only act through Certain ways connected to his Bargains.
Also Rastakhan was arrogant thinking he could keep demanding of the Loa of Graves like some Slave.
And once Bwonsamdi gave him the Power of the Graves it destroyed his Soul.

Anyhow, we know some big Death entity is at Play here, because Denizens of the Shadowlands tried to kill all who tried to find out the Truth both in the Living Realm and the Shadowlands.

Something from the Other side interfered in the realm of the Living.
And according to N’zoth has allied itself with the Light.

What’s more interesting is honestly: who had the power to reach into the Shadowlands grab Vol’jins Spirit and empower him Beyond that of a Val’kyr.

1 Like

has anyone tought about it, could it have been Azeroth who resurected him, considering it seems she is gathering her own followers in a way.

Odd the lich king is the most powerful necromancer ? I don’t remember Bolvar studying that topic or having an artifact outsite of the helm ( which is only for controlling ). Must be a different lichking

First and foremost, Ner’zhul orc shaman who would later become the only true God of Death(why Yogg-saron held that title made no sense whatsoever). But sure, the Lich King is worshipped by both the Cult of the Damned, which consists of several thousands mortal humans, orcs and even elves, together with the ancient and mighty Vrykul tribes in Northrend, they had forsaken their false gods, the Holy Light and the Titans. To instead worship their Death-God, the Lich King, who blessed them with his gift.

When Ner’zhul’s mind and soul were transformed into the incredibly powerful spectral lich and bound within his phylactery, the Helmet of Domination! There he felt his powers and mental influence expand ten thousand fold, which granted him such a vast conscioussness and telepathic powers beyond our wildest comprehensions.

So when Arthas finally crushed Illidans forces and reached the FRozen Throne, he donned the Helmet and merged into what was back then, the most powerful entity on Azeroth! Atleast the biggest threat.
But the part were a soulless Death Knight, like Arthas, who has his soul stolen and trapped inside Frostmourne, can even have a chance at overpowering or even catch the Lich King Ner’zhul off guard and use his dreamstate Frostmourne to consume the Lich King Ner’zhul with Frostmourne and thereby gaining all his power and memories, is pretty lame.
Because realisticly, he couldn’t stand a chance against Ner’zhul, especially not when it comes to battling for control. But Blizzard insisted.

So yes, I know Ner’zhul was supressed and the soulless Arthas became the dominant personality, with all the Ner’zhul’s power and memories.
But if he had instead fully merged with Ner’zhul fully, the Lich King would’ve acted completely differently in WOTLK and would’ve won by far.

It was Arthas arrogance and playfulness that made him think that he had already won, he was merely playing with them. And if it weren’t for the Light’s divine intervention, then all of Azeroth would be undead now.

Sure, Frostmourne was one of the most powerful blades ever and together with Arthas it made him invincible basicly. But Frostmourne was also an instrument of Ner’zhul to control Arthas and since Arthas defeat when Frostmourne was shattered, all the souls that empowered him greatly were freed!

But the Lich King’s true power lies within his telepathy and his necromantic powers. That is why the one we used to call Bolvar, now the Lich King, doesn’t need to leave his throne. He is frozen, but his mind and reach is still all across the world.

If you think Bolvar has any sympathy for either the Alliance nor the living, you are dead wrong! He never truly died, but he isn’t alive either. And in any case, donning the Helmet most likely transformed him into an undead through the surge of power entering his body.

I know both Arthas and Ner’zhul are gone, but the Lich KIng still retain Ner’zhul’s memories and acts very similar to Ner’zhul, unlike Arthas.

Just stop it, the Titans are gone. And no, Sylvanas won’t go for the Helmet. She might go after Helya though. You see, the Lich King has more influence and more power both in this world and in the Shadowlands then Bwonsamdi and Helya, since Helya is locked within her own realm.

The Lich King has a mind as big and vast as the Old God’s, and since he conquered large parts of the Shadowlands in Wrath, he holds dominion there and his Frozen Throne serves as an anchor to the Shadowlands.

We know nothing about Elune? And if the Lich King is so weak, why was the Dragon Aspects too afraid to even fly over Icecrown?! Maybe because he would’ve killed them? You think strength and raw power is everything, but necromancy and telepathy, especially when used by the most powerful necromancer in existence, then his corruption and working in the shadows is just as effective when it comes to corrupting mortals from afar and shape world events from the shadows.

We know that at some point, the Lich King will come for The Red Dragon Queen and her whole flight, he wants revenge and to eradicate the pillars of Life.

Why even bring up the Titans? They are gone forever? Kil’jaeden though, he was scared of how powerful the Lich King grew. And he has the potential to grow endlessly in power, aslong as their are bodies and souls to harvest and collect!

Sylvanas most likely is in debted to Helya and cannot pay her debts now, so I have a feeling Helya will come for Sylvanas.
That’s why Sylvanas already has a plan, Xal’atath! With the Black Blade, she could drain all of Helyas death magics and use them to her own goals.

They’d still KO the little man orc, whatever (I couldn’t care less) spirit sat on that frozen seat.

So your precious Lich King, who you only probably like for his deep voice, like the Witch King, is just a little man in comparison to the truest and largest of deities, like the Titans.

1 Like

Okay I put my tinfoil hat on, here goes…I have been thinking about souls. When mortals die the body and soul separate. The soul goes to the shadowlands (void realm). Void Lords consume souls to become Naaru (light realm). When Naaru become depleted of souls they turn to Void Lords. Undeath stops this process, and the cycle of void>light>void etc. is thrown out of balance. The body presumably decays and feeds the planetary body including Old Gods. This could explain why undeath is enemy of both the light and the void, why Alleria was getting the whispers to end Sylvanas, and why the Old Gods are “outside the cycle”. It could also explain why the Old Gods want to create conflict. They are hungry :D.

The reason i mention power being relative is because we have in world of warcraft fought increasingly powerful enemies.
The lich king is powerful when compaire to genn, andiun or even sylvanas.
But compaire to the titans he isnt even a footnote.
That is the problem with blizzard writting.
There is always a bigger bad makes it seem like the world end threats we kill are compleetly powerless.
At this point in time we slaughtered the scourge, the legion, old gods avaters.
What could possible pose a threat to the champions of azaroth?
The lich king is powerful yes.
But power is relevant and at this moment in time he is a minnor footnote compaire to the things the alliance and horde has killed with minimal losses.

Inb4 anime moment where the next expansion boss is…

OURSELVES.

1 Like

thing is they all are powerfull in different ways.

the Lich king, he controlled the undead, and was able to kill the living with no problems at all, but had he ended up fighting against the legion, he would have lost, becuse he would not have been able to control them or even kill them that easily, he would have been over run, he might have been able to kill the foot soldier of the burning legion, but against anyone who is a little bit stronger he would have had problems, Kiljaden would most likely have just poked him and he would have been defeated.

Burning legion again, where strong against anyone who was willing to join them, like the Dranei and the orcs, but once they ended up against anyone who did not, they started to struggle again, this might sound wierd to why I said the lich king would have lost to him, but that is due to him not being able to control them or resurect the dead, he didnt have the man power for it, where the living races again had, due to their will power and help from so many other beings, like the wildgods, demonhunters etc…

the old gods works a little bit the same, if you do not willingly join them and you are able to whitstand their will power you can defeat them, here again The lich king would have the upperhand, due the old gods not beeing able to controll him, he would win in the end.

But they all have one huge weakness what makes them weak, and that is arrogance, none of them thinks anyone can beat them so they never attack at full strength at all, meenign they eventualy would loose due to this.

I agree that the Lich king is sneaky af. One thing that I’m really curious about is whether bwonsamdis “boss” is the person responsible for making sylvanas warchief, or the person responsible for bringing vol’jin back (but feigning ignorance). Losing him for a while could upset either of these entities and they seem to be two different ones.

Either way he knows something about power players we are just guessing about at this point, question is which team is he on really.
Helya being involved in one of these seems highly probable, I would agree, if for no other reason than that no one has even mentioned her in all of this.

1 Like

Saurfang Returns takes the mantle of Leadership asks for a ceasefire.
Which Anduin approves off, the war is Delayed Dark Forces Destroys the Kul’tiran navy and the Harbor of Stormwind.
Throwing the Alliance off the Road to victory.

Saurfang is accused by Tyrande to have plottet this and calls Justice for Teldrassil and her People Anduin refuses to break the Ceasefire, but the LightForged attacks the Horde reigniting the War.
All the vengeance filled leaders of the Alliance jumps into the Fray and the Horde is Losing Badly.

Not expecting this Treachery.
From the Shadows Nathanos and Sylvanas appears offering Saurfang a dishonorable solution to end the Alliance, Saurfang refuses stating his Honor and stuff.

Meanwhile the Void elves has laid heavy siege upon Quel’thalas using Void Monstrocities to make for their lack of Numbers, however Quel’thalas still Stands.

Now first of all the Horde Don’t mind losing, so long as it makes sense.

What we do mind though is when one Enemy Nation gets pumped so, powerfully up that they can single handely resist a united army of the Horde.
What we Absolute also do not mind is how Our power houses either become Villains our quite literally is inferior to most Alliance power houses.

What we also dislike is having to be nerfed by Pointless and forced infighting.

What we especially do not approve of is: our enemies doing Miracules comebacks even though we just Literally Crushed them barely a Month Ago.

Yet when we take a Blow it has to last for Expansions.

And finally we don’t like the Story telling us to feel Ashamed for our Victories.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.