The faith of Nightborne priests

I personally don’t remember anything relevant during my time questing in Suramar. A few questions have been in my mind lately, do the Nightborne priests worship Elune still? What is the foundation of their faith? why was there no temples or any edifices of worship? Or do they simply worship the Light? The old Highborne well most of them had lost their faith during Azshara’s reign or they were too preoccupied with the Well to bother with religion, I only recall Dath’Remar Sunstrider still respecting Tyrande’s status as High Priestess of Elune during the War of the Ancients trilogy.

2 Likes

We don’t know, as there is no evidence of any religion in Suramar.

In fact, the Temple of Elune on Thal’dranath that was part of Suramar City was indeed cut off from Suramar itself by the barrier. and the Nightborne haven’t seemed to give much thought to theism in the ten thousand years that followed. (As you mentioned, no temples or places of worship (but plenty of vineyards!))

We could assume that the playable Priests and Priestesses are survivors of the Sisterhood of Elune that happened to be locked behind the shield when it was created. Or maybe the Nightborne learned to wield holy magic from the Blood Elves.

I don’t think Blizzard has given any clear answer on the subject, unfortunately.

There are statues, very similar to the statues at the temple of Elune, with offerings all around the city, it’s not unreasonable to think they represent elune, and that Nightborne still worship her.

Really ? :wink:
Going by some interactions I think they worship themselves :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, there are statues in the shape of a female elf, decorated with flowers, and with food offerings around it everywhere around the city, and big female-elf statues at the stairs etc. they don’t look like Elisande or any other leader we know, but share a similarity in posture to the ones at the temple of Elune.
So i really think they still worhip her, even if not on the same scale as Nightelves.

1 Like

I was just joking.

I believe you could indeed make the case of Elune worship still being a thing in post bubble Suramar and it may have waned over time.
But now the shield is gone and they " See the stars once more(and the moon)", worship of Elune saw a resurgence.

Goddessess?
We are better than them, after all, we were and are Quel’dorei, Highborne, choosen of Azshara herself!
Used to have gods, but outgrown them
Still some form that archaic relegion survived to this era, remnants of a bygone age
The Shield cut of us from the starts and the Moon and we prevailed without them just fine; without Elune’s light and help
Evolved
Became the Shal’dorei, Children of the Night… or Shadow, whatever you prefer
After the Shield’s colapse everyone was happy tho’ to see the stars again… and Suramar had the grand temple of Elune on Thal’dranath!
And I guess Ruins of Elune’eth have some connection to Elune…
Some I guess saw it as a test of Faith when lost the sight of the Moon, but the general concensus was, everything including the moon and Azeroth was destroyed by the Legion, so clinging in to a “dead” faith seemed redicolus I guess
On the other hand, those who remained faithfull are stronger belivers and worshipers of Elune than any Kaldore ever could be
Its a bit hard to remain faithful whn your goddes is dead

1 Like

That might just be statues of Suramar heroes and those offerings might be memorials to pay respects.

Have we any mention, or actual implication of religion?

1 Like

Suramar was in a bubble for 10000 years, not a good time to become a hero.
And they all look the same, and decidedly not “herolike” in pose. If they had statues, wouldn’t at least some of them depict their leader?
For me they look like the Statues at the temple of elune.
But since blizzard has said nothing about this topic, we can discuss and argue all day without a conclusion :wink:

I think at the end of the day - like in all relegion - ot boils down to personal preference and faith

Its fun to share ideas and oppinions tho’
Just be open to the other’s words and listen

:face_with_monocle::wine_glass:

1 Like

i usually am :wink:

In a civilisation shining with pride from every pore?

You could become a hero just by inventing a new flavour of wine!

I recall that at least some of those statues in Suramar equipped with offerings are fashioned after one of the Nighthold bosses

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Spellblade_Aluriel

And, the religious statues of the Night Elves are often those of Haidene, otherwise known as Elune’s Handmaiden:

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Haidene

I don’t know, the statues with bowls in Suramar looked to me as more ornamentary than religious. It’s true though that they (or rather Night Elven versions of them) also appear on the Cathedral of Eternal Night, and the Temple of Elune in Val’sharah, along with statues of men holding open books.

1 Like

It would be funny if the Nightborne went from having a Goddess like Elune to atheism (basically like the Blood Elves, they don’t worship the Sunwell or the Sun/Light as their god now) and the Void Elves went from atheism (as former Blood Elves) to adopting Elune as their new Goddess :stuck_out_tongue:

which the theme of the Moon, stars and night would fit the theme of Void quite well I think, so it wouldn’t be bad to see Void Elves starting to worship Elune alongside Night Elves, maybe with some new statues in Telogrus’ Rift as well. The Void Elves in particular could have a connection with the Dark Side of Elune and the Night Warrior ritual too I guess.

please, don’t give more food to the “X belongs to Nightelves!!! don’t take it away” crew.

But…

…Elune does belong to the Night Elves :cry:

3 Likes

NO PLEASE NO. There is already a huge religious mess in this game and the idea of Elune-worshipping blood elves makes me :face_vomiting:

4 Likes

Not anymore yoink it’s our goddess now but joking aside they really need to stop taking things from other races

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.