The Future of Warcraft : Future Expansions

I know that shadowlands just dropped a few months ago, and we are still in this expansion, but i wanted to ask this : What does the future awaits us ? What kind of zones would blizzard surprise us, themes and expansions?

Scarlet Crusade theme expansion, revealing a new continent of Lordaeron ( Northern Lordaeron, where Lord Prestor ( Deathwing ) was holding a land.

AU Draenor 2.0 : Zones we haven’t explored yet, and the future there with the Lightbound Legion ( Burning Legion 2.0 with light instead ) such as Farahlon and other places.

Dragon Isles, Murozond corruption, new type of dragons and new dragonflights with exploring the lore of Dragons more. Maybe we get to meet Galakrond in shadowlands and somehow he returns to Azeroth and then boom the big bad guy?

Thoughs? I’m interested to see your thoughs on this topic. We may be a little early with Shadowlands just dropping, but its never too early to just discuss about the future of this game. What other ideas you MIGHT have that wow is heading into?

warlords of draenor 2.0 light boogaloo.

3 Likes

I think it depends on what will happen in Shadowlands. It’s annoying that the lore progress in SL is totally stopped rn. So as I said. We have to wait for the end of the present expansion. And what I would expect as a new expansion? Please not a next boring war between the Alliance and the Horde. I would like to see a new world. Maybe Argus before it has been destroyed by Sargeras.

1 Like

Dragon Isles seems a very likely candidate. It was teased pretty heavily during BFA and we´ve hadn’t had a mayor dragon story in a while (Ysera stuff excluded)

Beyond that, its a wild card. Personally, i would love a tropical carribean inspired settin in Tel Abim, a big and yet unexplored isle. There is also Plunder Isle, the HQ of the Bloodsails. We´ve met a mayor bloodsail guy in Legion, yet never their supreme leader. So maybe a pirate civil war?

Then ofc we always could go further into the cosmos. We´ve got quite a few planets that had been mentioned by name, like the remains of the Ethereals homeworld.

One of my personal wishey, through? Underdark Azeroth. Azjol Nerub (in real, this time), plus whatever else they might come up with. Trogg and Kobold Kingdoms, underwater oceans, you name it.

I suspect this is the most likely candidate at this stage, and here is why I think this:

In Legion we saw how the light can basically behave like a bunch of fascists (Xera - Illidan cinematic).

In BfA, through the Mag’har scenario we discovered that AU Draenor is basically all but fully invaded by the super fascists light legion.

Minor Shadows Rising novel spoiler on next point hence why hidden.

Summary

In the Shadowlands prequel novel, we learn that Turalyon seems quite happy to abuse his light powers in order to get job done, when he and Aleria were torturing those civilian forsaken.

Currently in Shadowlands, we know that Anduin is going to go through some kind of major trauma. I’m sure in the end he’ll be fine but I suspect that something will change in him in terms of personal philosophy / power alignment etc. Something that will put him at odds with Turalyon becoming a major light fanatic.

From various interviews with Ion and co, they seem to always refer back to the cosmology chart and how we going to be exploring it further. They’ve mentioned also “zooming out” from it but who knows! Oh and we got the “mysterious First Ones” to learn more about eventually!

The stakes have been increased so much, and everything keeps getting more and more cosmic. I find it a bit hard to think that they’ll go back to some brand new smaller threat of sorts. But who knows, they do love a retcon over at Blizzard HQ so they can pretty much come up with anything!

1 Like

World of Warcraft: Beyond the stars
World of Warcraft: Clash of the titans
World of Warcraft: Homecoming.

2 Likes

Just… something more at home. Please.

We’ve got so many cut storylines in Azeroth to favour these whacky concepts that it’s time to tie them up.

2 Likes

My guess will be something Light & Void themed… Blizzard and the vocal part of the fanbase seems to like the concept of endless armies and enemies so big we shouldn’t be able to relate to them after all, and with the burning legion done and the jailor probably going to get defeated, I could see them going for that. Especially with both forces having made cameos in shadowlands already. Possibly with Yrel being one of the first mayor raid bosses as part of a “gone too far” light faction.
Now this isn’t what I want, I didn’t like Legion or Shadowlands either at least not compared to other expansions, I just guess that is where they are going next.

Personally I like the more character driven expansions like Pandaria and Bfa… but unless Anduin dies at last and lets the alliance be interesting, I don’t have hope for the future there.

also the maghar scenario was actually supposed to release later in bfa’s expansion cycle , so closer to shadowlands, they’ve definitely laid the breadcrumbs for Yrel to do something.

I’d rather they do a classic + where they alter the lore.

Start with Wotlk, but instead of steamrolling Northrend, we get pushed back and have an expansion of the Scourge pushing deeper into our territory. Final raid being the defence of SW/Lordaeron, where we manage to push back the Scourge.

Next expansion: assault on Northrend. A brutal fight to secure a foothold on Northrend, and then push the scourge back into IceCrown. Final raid being a siege on the Drakkari.

Next Expansion: War on Icecrown. Make this whole expansion a war campaign, in which all sides have some devastating losses to bring to give the danger the scourge presents some respect.

Next Expansion: Next expansion, rebuilding the kingdoms. Pushing the last remnants of the scourge off of the Eastern Kingdoms, re-establishing Stromgarde, and expanding the orcs territory, retaking the trolls Island.

This gives a chance for more in-depth storytelling, and to explore area’s of the lore that were previously untouched or badly explained. Anub’Arak deserved a better send off than he received. The connection between the LK, saronite, and the scourge was never properly developed in game. And currently we’re stuck in a cycle of : New bad guy! Oh wait, we killed him. New bad guy!!! Oh, wait, we killed him. OMG NEW BAD GUY!!! Oh, wait. We. Killed. Him.

Feels like a dog chasing cars.

1 Like

Haha, yeah true, this made me giggle. I always say that wow is doing a Dragon Ball Z pace. You know the whole “I’m a new more powerful, more cosmic, more bad villain that hates you for some reason” and then our equivalent of becoming super sayan 3+ is picking a new weapon or some new borrowed power system.

I like that concept, though I don’t think blizzard we’ll ever go this far back to re-tell a story better. Though if they ever stop wow and just reboot with an actual wow 2 game, which relates but has enough of a time gap in order for them to say new stories with new characters (and some old ones for good measure), then I’d love to if they take a more paced approached with structured long term story telling.

We live in a post End Game world now, I think people can not only handle long term build of stories but I even dare say prefer them!

For a future expansion , we need to see also the previous bosses we defeated

Lich King & undead = done in Wrath of Lich King

Burning legion = done in Warlods of Draenor ( Archimonde ) & done in Legion ( Kiljaeden + Sargeras )

Old Gods = done through many diffrent expansions ( Classic & Battle for Azeroth )

Now we have a new end boss , the Jailer

Maybe in next expansion :

• the new Jailer / Lich King = undead themed

• a new horde boss like Garosh , Pandaria style , but with Sylvanas oriented

• a new faction boss oriented with Tyrande , Nightwarrior / Elune themed

• a First One turning evil ( new Sargeras ? )

• Void Lords

• evil Naaru ?

• evil Wild Gods ?

or maybe a expansion related to Time Travel oriented ?

Infinite Flight , destroying the past ?

If they aren’t going to tune it down, they might as well go crazy. Time trvel, dimensional travel, spaceship fights, whatever, as long as it is far away from Azeroth in any dimension I’m fine with it. And there are really no limits to what they could do, since they never much cared to stick to one recognizable genre, or even be bound by their own precedents. My vote still goes to “self-aware parody”.

But if people think what they actually set up matters… Well, evil Light, evil Life, evil titan-baby Azeroth, and the First Ones power-level would be there, I guess.

In addition to many of the suggestions in this thread, I think Blizzard gave themselves infinite options with the way they built the lore for Shadowlands.
Spirits/Souls from different worlds all go to the Shadowlands when they die. So now, a next expansion could take us into any of those worlds, which Blizzard could make up freely.

1 Like

a whole new hidden world, darker than the darkness, a theme regarding the original of everything, into the nothingness (expansion related to void)

1 Like

I fear for Blizzard’s way of continuity.

They tried with Gul’dan, which worked a bit. A bit.

2 Likes

I think Blizzard tends to surprise with expansion choices time to time. Choosing Shadowlands to push story forward was an interesting move to me. Doing this allows Blizzard to choose which characters get development and freeze others in story time.

With newly developed/rejoined Alliance and Horde characters throughout the Legion and Battle for Azeroth, kind of points out to a story about Eastern Kingdoms for sure. Azshara is yet to be a menace. Dragons are became somewhat relevant to the story again. Only obstacle here I see is, Cataclysm left-over of a world. To wrap a this kind of story properly, you most definitely need a world-revamp.

BfA successfully phased whole zones and now with Chromie Time, people can choose to do old content freely and out of the way of being one of the revamped worlds’ logical problems with a character who didn’t live that.

1 Like

Blizzard developpers for WoW , for recent & future expansions :

( Aladdin WoW game developper and Jasmine the player )

"A Whole New World "
(from “Aladdin” soundtrack)

I can show you the world
Shining, shimmering, splendid
Tell me, princess, now when did
You last let your heart decide?

I can open your eyes
Take you wonder by wonder
Over, sideways and under
On a magic carpet ride

A whole new world
A new fantastic point of view
No one to tell us “no”
Or where to go
Or say we’re only dreaming

A whole new world
A dazzling place I never knew
But when I’m way up here
It’s crystal clear
That now I’m in a whole new world with you
(Now I’m in a whole new world with you)

Unbelievable sights
Indescribable feeling
Soaring, tumbling, freewheeling
Through an endless diamond sky

A whole new world
(Don’t you dare close your eyes)
A hundred thousand things to see
(Hold your breath, it gets better)
I’m like a shooting star
I’ve come so far
I can’t go back to where I used to be

A whole new world
With new horizons to pursue
I’ll chase them anywhere
There’s time to spare
Let me share this whole new world with you

A whole new world
(A whole new world)
A new fantastic point of view
No one to tell us “no”
Or where to go
Or say we’re only dreaming

A whole new world
(Every turn, a surprise)
With new horizons to pursue
(Every moment, red-letter)
I’ll chase them anywhere
There’s time to spare
Anywhere
There’s time to spare
Let me share this whole new world with you

A whole new world
(A whole new world)
That’s where we’ll be
(That’s where we’ll be)
A thrilling chase
(A wondrous place)
For you and me

They are doing that and will do that :laughing:

Whatever future expansions are i hope its on/about azeroth.
And not more of the stupiid cosmic crap blizz thinkts is SO intresting.

1 Like

This would make me so happy…

1 Like