The Harbinger - faction or individual?

Hello,

as far as i know The Harbinger should be Xal’atath, so why is Kahdgar refer to her as “they”? Is it some faction “The Harbinger” now? and why he says “And so we can assume they are powerful individual…”? isn’t it contradiction or how to say it in english?
i don’t understand it. english is not my nativ language and this is pretty confusing and hard to read.

thanks in advance for explanation

1 Like

English sometimes (and increasingly often) uses “they” as a gender-neutral pronoun for one person. At that point Khadgar doesn’t know who it is, yet, so he didn’t assign a gender and used they.

5 Likes

And funny enough , in English there is already a Gender Neutral pronoun for single entity and it is called “It” , but because there is no such thing as gender neutral in real life when referring to a grown person , “it” is used in reference to
1 (a child)
2 (object or animal)

Imagine the outcry if “They” who referred to themselves as gender neutral , were referred to as “It” .

And yes , I agree with OP . “They” in English is confusing and hard to read , when used in such context .

At the very least the writers could have used “This person” or " This thing" or something similar to let you know they are actually talking about Xal’atath or something unknown , rather than the ambiguous “They” .

1 Like

Fight with Nymue was a nightmare becuase of it. the constant use of “They” you think if the adds are coming, but no it was about the boss.
Also very peculiar, but this mob was based on Nimue, arthurian Lady of the Lake, and has feminine shape, but Blizzard keeps on insisting on calling it “they”, I’d seriously prefer if “it” was used.

And same crap was done with Quonzu owl. Each Wild God or Loa came as He or She, and it’s becuase they reproduce, and you meet in game their offsprings, like child of Rezan, Scion of Quet’zun, daughter of Kimbul. Owls as far as I can tell have males or females, so identifying which one is it should come clearly fast. But it was done to make a ideological statement. And this expansion has plenty of not-so-subtle messaging.

2 Likes

Just did the questline , and at least in the end the writers refer to Xal’atath as “Her” and “She” , so at least it seems it is not the same cringe crud that was the Emerald Dream .

I think this time the writers used “They” properly , as a means to describe an unknown individual , or a group you have not yet met , which is the point of the quest really . She appears as a shadow and we do not know who the “Harbinger” is until the end .

For the love of mercy , hopefully , the writers will keep the new expansion clean and remove all political hogwash from it . The quests in the Emerald dream were one drop too many in the tolerance bucket to handle .

1 Like

How they never mentioned about Xalatath and what happened in Crucible of Storm and how we freed Xalatath and gave her a body in Bfa quest.It makes me think that Khadgar really knows nothing .

But we are not supposed to know Iridikron gave her the Dark heart

Thank you for explanation guys. i was wondering if i’m alone who finds this weird.
i would prefere too if Xal’atath (when we don’t know what it is) was called “it” or “some entity” or something. it quite breaks immersion for me.

Just to add some context, my native language is Czech and we have pronouns he, she, it (plus plural pronouns) as well as English, but we have also different versions of verbs tied to this pronouns. so in my head “they are powerful individual” sounds totaly ridiculous and doesn’t make any sense :smiley:

Funny enough you don’t seem to know English. Going as far back as Shakespeare, they was uesed the way Wimpert explained.

I would say less common, but still slowly a bit more again.

Well,if you lock in video closely it is seen clearly a women awaits on the other side of the void tear,obviously Chromie didn’t observed her.Giving to hour history from a few guesses you could find out who awaits Iridikron,but i think they wanted to make a closer interaction betwen the two void girls.

Yea I saw that and I remember there was speculation on wether that elf was Azshara, Xal’atath or someone else so until Blizzcon closed the debate, no one was sure the Harbinger was her, even less ingame characters.