The Jailer

Doesn’t his title imply that he is keeping someone jailed?
what if all this shenanigans he is doing is to free this jailed entity, not to free himself?

I would say it implies that he’s keeping the souls jailed in the Maw (as “no one escapes the Maw”).

4 Likes

Like, for example, some anonymous old god? *yawnsighs

1 Like

I think his title is just a typo. Blizzard meant for it to be “the Jailed”

yeah it could simply be the unredeemable souls, but I’m expecting more.
I mean it’s not him keeping them there, I had the impression it’s the same force that keeps him there, that also prevents the souls to escape.

1 Like

I think it is to do with the souls that are being ‘jailed’ in the maw and not sent onto Oribos like they used to be.

1 Like

I don’t agree, as it seems his army is jailing the souls in Torghast and torturing them, while the force that keeps him there is related to the power of the covenants.

1 Like

mmhhh yeah possible, was just speculating XD

1 Like

One thing I think we’re being sold (through story) - that I think isn’t quite what it seems it is - is that The Jailer & “The Banished One” are one and the same…

What IF, The Banished One… is… some vestige, if not the entirety, of… N’zoth?

Remember… not ALL Raid Bosses are killed, some are (merely) defeated.

EDIT:
I said it the other day - many think The Jailer is the one pulling the strings in this Expansion; I say the ‘puppet master’ that many see him as is actually a puppet, himself.

1 Like

Sorry, but the official is: The Jailer is an evil older than reality itself. Ages ago, Zovaal betrayed his fellow Eternal Ones. As punishment, he was bound within the inescapable Maw through the use of Domination magic to be forevermore its Jailer. The magic within the Heart of the Forest in Ardenweald was used to keep the Maw inescapable and ensure that Zovaal would remain bound forever. Over his eons of imprisonment, the Jailer found a way to weaponize the power of Domination and use it against his enemies.

1 Like

N’Zoth wouldnt go into the Shadowlands if he dies. And having an void entity (And not just some void entity but an Old God.) inside the shadowlands at all is not something they would want given Bastion already had its fair share with the Void.

A more plausible theory is that we are active agents of N’Zoth inside the shadowlands atm without us realizing it. If they actually have him some more background story. And the winter queen said they banished the banished him LONG ago. That makes it impossible for it to be N’Zoth.

1 Like

I see little credibility in N’Zoth being fully dead, despite his ‘re-origination’; there’s sufficient plausibility that his re-origination could have - in fact - lead to his resurrection, being an entity so corrupt that no other variant of his prior form could exist.

1 Like

The Jailer , whose true name is Zovaal ,[6] is an Eternal One who is imprisoned in and rules over the Maw in the Shadowlands. Very little is known about him, since nothing has ever escaped the Maw, and no one has ever seen the Jailer himself—or lived to tell the tale.[7][8] Ruling from Torghast, Tower of the Damned, the Jailer is the singular and absolute master of the Maw: the realm continually alters and changes itself to his whims,[9] and he observes all actions of note within the Maw through his magical eye.[10] The damned souls who arrive in the realm are tortured and twisted by the Jailer until they willingly serve him for eternity as his Mawsworn soldiers.[11]

The Jailer is an evil older than reality itself.[15] Ages ago, Zovaal betrayed his fellow Eternal Ones. As punishment, he was bound within the inescapable Maw through the use of Domination magic to be forevermore its Jailer.[6][16] The magic within the Heart of the Forest in Ardenweald was used to keep the Maw inescapable and ensure that Zovaal would remain bound forever.[3]

People ask: who is the jailer?
Never: How is the jailer?
Insert sad jailer pic

3 Likes

He is just fine!

funny thing is in trailer he was chained, but when we come in maw he ain’t. they make it up as they go

That yells some Maldraxxi origin… or at least he did something there that was worthy of memorial.
There’s rumour he’s got a connection to The Primus… who’s conveniently MIA in our timeline.

Older than the Old Gods…?

Need to research “Eternal Ones”… I have difficulty with it referencing The Winter Queen, et al.
Well, I never… colour me ‘enlightened’.

This side of a timeframe, I say “plausible” he got loose.

1 Like

Or some thing.

But yes.

The Maw obviously contains something that The Eternal Ones wanted to keep trapped and locked away for all eternity, because when you look around The Maw it’s easy to see that something has wrecked the place to pieces.

But then there was some conflict between The Eternal Ones and ultimately Zovaal got kicked into The Maw himself. A bit like Zeus sending Hades to the underworld, or Hel in Norse mythology or Set in Egyptian or whatever. Same sort of story vibe.

But there’s obviously something within The Maw that will be the shocker of the expansion when Blizzard reveals it. The something that is jailed. The something that has turned The Maw into a ruin and a black hole. The something that must not be freed or set loose. The something that’s going to be the final raid of the expansion. The something that’s so powerful that it makes The Eternal Ones crap their pants.

1 Like

You mean the Runecarver?

1 Like

I’m still wondering who or what the red soul was that knocked the Arbiter out :thinking:

Without that happening The Jailer couldn’t even be doing the things he’s doing right now and since that happened during Legion it’s doubtful that N’zoth would be involved.

Could be Argus though, but do Titans even go to the Shadowlands? :no_mouth:

As for why The Jailer is called “The Jailer”, I’m pretty certain it implies he is infact keeping something jailed :wink: