The New CurseForge App is Bad

I miss the good old days of waiting for a tape to run for 30 minutes to load the game only for it to freeze at minute 29 and everything had to be started all over again.

You’d also find that the machine had started chewing the tape so it would have to be carefully removed from the tape player and respooled onto the cassette.

3 Likes

I lived on a small village with like 100 house so I couldn’t expect more.
I only got internet faster than 100kb when a fire burned all the forest and all the cables so they upgrade to optic fiber, was like 6 years ago.

1 Like

I first played WoW on 56k dialup.

PvP at Crossroads was great fun…

maybe i just had fast internet for the time lol…

i was on at least 3mb p/s when wow launched

56k was normal back in cs1.3 - 1.5 days… 400 - 700 ping was considered a good connection to a same country server.

1 Like

I’m so old, my first entertainment was writing 59009 on the calculator and holding it upside down!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

But seriously my first PC game was Dragon Trek on the Dragon 32 which had a massive 32k memory!!

3 Likes

Wouldn’t you have been better typing 58008?

3 Likes

Hey I was a young impressionable young girl at the time, had more ummm exciting things on my mind *cough

2 Likes

surprised you didn’t vouch for the more advanced 5318008

EDIT: or the super duper advanced… 5318008 618

So its almost 2023 and people keep making points on how bad it used to be, like what? My phone is 100x faster then my 2000 early pc…
I know its not a major issue but in this time and age for that app to load and scan so slow its kinda pathetic.

1 Like

Calculators in those days didnt have enough characters for 5318008 618 lol

2 Likes

First games I bought were on tape. not sure how many tapes a 15gb game would have needed but I’m thinking about a truck to deliver it…
My computer’s ram was 48K, so it might struggle to load a game that big…

2 Likes

Remember a company called C*tech who were selling a 48k ram upgrade with their Kong game for the Spectrum for £12.95 which was extortionate at the time.

Honestly, my phone is faster then my current PC :rofl: .

I remember buying the game “Driver” on PC, it contained 6 CDs in the case :rofl:

Even though it’s supposed to be a stand alone addon manager, it’s still overloaded crap. Unfortunately I don’t think you can expect more from this terrible company.

1 Like

My problem with the curseforge app is that you can’t get it without the Overwolf bloatware. I JUST want addons for WoW, nothing else. I don’t give a rats beep about Minecraft mods, infact I don’t play modded minecraft at all.

I wish that Overwolf weren’t such giant douchebags for changing their api to such an extent that apps like Ajour couldn’t exist no more. A bloody shame that a modding community like that can’t stay open and approachable as it have previously just 'cause one actor chose to be “exclusive”.

1 Like

I never had a problem with the new app, works like a charm for me.

2 Likes

You can just download the addons without all the “Junkware” aswell.

Honestly, I don’t even know what Ajour is.

I just play the game and update my mods once a month, then instantly shut down Overwolf :rofl:

Ajour was an independently developed and extremely simple application. It had the same functionality as CurseForge but it came without all the Twitch integration that CurseForge had before Twitch sold CurseForge to Overwolf. It was 0 bloatware and the application worked with multiple repositories - but once CurseForge was sold to Overwolf that ended and the developer behind it chose to give it up.

Yeah you can just update it all “manually” but with the functionality already there on the website through it’s application integration, it feels silly to have to conform with bloatware when better is available. The modding scene for games have always been open and welcoming to new people, but the acquisition of CurseForge changed that dramatically.

Anyway, essay over - in summary; it’s a principles thing.

2 Likes