The Next Expansion

As Blizzcon is right around the corner and 9.1 recently dropped, what do you think the next expansion will be?

I heard a lot of “void” themed guesses, however, judging by that Blizzard likes to “surprise” its players regarding the expansion themes and stories, I think we might take a little rest (I hope so) from this cosmic Starcraft thing and get back to Azeroth without aliens. Some refer to Wrathion and his muttering about the Dragon Isles but I also think Tyrande is at an interesting turning point where her character might be setting up for a future madness. The ritual of the Night Warrior slowly consumes her sanity and vengeance eats her mind. Turalyon and Anduin could fight over the throne of the Alliance now that the prince was used as a dark instrument by the Jailor and could be deemed “unworthy” in the eye of Turalyon who is manifested and obsessed by the Light almost to a blind. My guess with the story shaping up in Shadowlands is this. A turmoil, a “civil war” between the ranks of the Alliance. As Ion said back in Legion, the Alliance is not having that inner discord just yet in their ranks.

Would like to hear your views and speculations!

1 Like

we’re planning a global event for the early part of next year, combining an online show along the lines of our recent BlizzConline with smaller in-person gatherings, and we’ll share more as our plans come together

© https://blizzcon.com/en-us/news/23655116

So, not quite.

There is a mix of Death / Life themes now, so “lifelands” / more of Elune / An’she stories.

We had a “proper titan world” mentioned not too long ago in an interview.

There was Gul’dan comment about being with Legion, so their soul consuming capabilities could be rather handy.

The current narrative team placed a lot of emphasis on exploring cosmology, and they are aiming for moar epic. So, those would be my guesses.

Just wait till the end of 9.1 and you’ll see why there is massive disappointment in what was done with the night warrior story and why it’s arguably one of the worst stories in a way it was handled.

1. Define “vengeance”
  2. it was a quest for justice. It was sold like that since the bfa pre-patch. It is what it’s about. Justice for those who could not defend themselves and payed the ultimate price for trusting the horde. Downgraded to Sylvanas edition, cause pay off is not the concept that the devs are aware of.

I have no idea where did you get this idea. In Before the Storm it was Turalyon telling to Anduin not to trust the Light blindly.

Ion said many things. Like “we’re going to listen to the feedback”, only then to claim

As to why this wasn’t picked up on during the Beta, well, that comes down to PTR (Public Test Realm) motivations. There players were simply checking out Torghast, playing with its mechanics and structure.

© https://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3635679

Like, they ignored the feedback, and that is the reasoning given a year after.
:man_shrugging:

So, we’ll see. So far I do not expectat much. Last time Danuser was talking about the alliance he said:

Danuser notes that the Alliance aren’t at each other’s throats. “The Alliance is like a family. Brothers and sisters can disagree, and things can get heated, but there’s still a deep and abiding love and trust there.”

© https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/15/18183772/wow-battle-for-azeroth-alliance-tides-of-vengeance

Which was never the theme of the alliance. It’s the original theme of the horde, family, with all the good that comes with it, compassion, help, forgiveness, and bad, that comes from it, like nepotism, forgiveness of what should not, etc.

The alliance theme from the get-go should’ve been about justice / retribution:

Arguably teaching of Mereldar could be added for some flavour: https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Mereldar.

So, yeah. I would prefer the current devs not to touch any topic that requires quality of execution to be there.

gl hf

2 Likes

Can only speak for myself, but I really hope not. Then again:

That is certainly and sadly true. So, little hope of returning to more down- to- earth stories and rebuilding places on Azeroth.
Personally I don’t care for the cosmology stuff at all, but I wouldn’t mind it as long as it stays in the background. But yes, the current trend definitely points in the opposite direction, no matter what the players would prefer :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

WoW: Wedding
Redeemed Sylvannus and Purified Anduin get married.
Jailer officiates the wedding.
Genn is bestman, Caila is maid of honor
Tyrande claps like an excited lil girl in the background like she did when Thrall got hitched.
Baine sheds a tear of joy and chews his cud
Velen sighs like he always does
The goblins and gnomes make bank selling fireworks.
Jaina and Theron facepalm and call it a day before starting to fight over what happened in Dalaran and have hatesex.

The Trolls and Dwarfs being the only smart ones stay away.

5 Likes

final fantasy 11

Your asian ripoff will die like a rest of wow competitors. Just because they are copying wow game mechanics instead of create new ones.

2 Likes

i can see wow die first because theyre also on playstation

The next expansion will be about the Army of Light attempting to enslave (or have already ensalved) Azeroth and we free them from the Army of Light control and re-establish Azeroth

The next expansion after that will see a renewed War against the new Horde which now has a different name and the New Alliance which are simply called the New Alliance which results in Wrathion whom is actually controlled by N’zoth, opening the gateway to the Void Lords which results in us seeking out The Titans were we choose to release Sargeras and work together with Sargeras which ultiamtely results in Sargeras being corrupted by the Void Lords and we slay both the Void Lords and Sargeras at the same time with the help of the Dragons, Titans, Eternals, Horde, New Alliance, Ebonblade new army of the Light, Titan Keepers and every other powerful force led by the Anduin as originally predicted.

This ultimately leads to the final expansion in which the First Ones return, the First Ones known as the Fulcrum whom as a force beyond that and decide to end reality as we know it because it’s a failure. The Fulcrum created everything and basically allowed ever evil thing to occur and was now ready to end it all. We then turn against the Fulcrum and ultimately defeat them and in there defeat all the Forces are restored but brought into perfect balance…

Blizzard then are sub 30k subscriber finally end the game.

2 Likes

I think next expansion will be that the Alternate Draenor is opening up again and this time we have to fight High Exarch Yrel and her shining crusade. With it we get a focus on the Emoelves using their power to naturally fight those lightfanatics and that the Sin’dorei embrace the point, that we should stop worshipping light and death but the original idea of enslaving the light whas right.
The Mag’har will get another big focus with their Dark Priests and the forsaken has to ask themselves, how light and shadow is actually affecting them.

Heard dat before. Wildstar players tells dat every day,

Same. I don’t want more cosmic nonsense in the next expansion.

I can see a light expansion though. Mostly because of Turalyon’s current position and the new development with the Scarlets.

I can only hope it will get better but I really doubt it and I’ve given up on the story.

They didnt made up cosmic forces to now go back to something fun and normal. They will blaze through all of them expansion per force. While feeding us more about the First ones. By the time we are done with last cosmic force we will get another multi cosmic chart with new forces of which First Ones are just part of. Than whole cycle can start over. It will be like a story fractal they can use and use untill WoW is milked dry.

Either that or they take their time and build this all new lore we’ve gotten over the years into something coherent and interesting.
Anyway for next expansion, usally when fans are unhappy they throw some"fan-service" expansion. So maybe we will get an addon with just exploring Azeroth.

My bet is this: Since all our forces are in Shadowlands now , when we finish the expansion we return to see the whole of Azeroth overrun by the undead, since there’s a lot of them in the world even now , and since Arthas and Bolvar were the only thing holding them back, and the helm of domination was destroyed, now we will probably have redeemed Sylvanas leading the charge against them like Illidain did in legion. That’s atleast my theory

2 Likes

Next expansion should something like: World of warcraft: Shattered reality. Story about how jailer is rewriting reality, so old zones are remade/updated.

1 Like

The next expansion should be Sylvanas executing the entire Horde council and having us help her to install puppet rulers for all Horde races who want the war with the alliance to continue. That is the only right way to move forward.

1 Like

Well Blizzcon wont be here until 2022 and its in virtual form, assuming that will even take place in light of recent developments. As for a new expansion, thats probably delayed as well as developement has stopped on WOW as some employees have reported on Twitter.

But I would love to see us return back to Azeroth in some form, update the old zones, give us a new story there, see how the world has changed after BFA and the events of Shadowlands, give us some true conflic on the aliiance side again, Rebuild Gilneas, Lordereon/Undercity, and Teladrassil. And introduce some new lore characters as well, as the current ones deserve a nice long rest.

What else is there to fight for the PC ?

There are no viable opponents left to fight .

It think its time for a timeskip of at least a 100 years and a reset to World of warcraft 2

World of Warcraft is reaching its end.

Given the recent events, I think they should close WoW altogether, rescue its assets, theme and setting, and start anew with a WoW 2.0 (time skip included).

Put an end to the tainted legacy of the current version, fish out whatever elements can be salvaged, and start fresh with a new batch of writers and new stories/characters.

They could give it a “spin-off” angle, or do as Star Wars did with its trilogies.

2 Likes

Agreed.

Personally how i would end WoW would have been that we lose BFA

Meaning that we beat Nzoth in the raid but find out that we only beat an avatar that he created as a distraction while reviving the other old gods and taking over Azeroth almost every major heroic character dies while the PC is trapped in a pocket dimension with 5 years passing on Azeroth ths starting the last WoW expansion Rise of the Black Empire.

Both the Horde and Alliance are destroyed and much of the planet has been Void changed and the black empire has been revived.

Remnants of the Horde and the Alliance are fighting a desperate guerrilla war against the black empire.

Nzoth is working on fully corrupting Azeroth and bringing the Void lords into our reality.

The player character escapes Nzoths trap and while it seems that no time passed within Nzoths trap the player character finds out that 5 years have passed and the player character is reviled as a loser and has to regain the trust of the remnants of their faction in attempting to stop Nzoth and the other Old Gods.

Nzoth has also transported Yrel and her Light crusade from alternate Draenor to Azeroth to serve as a distraction should the PC manage to escape from his trap. The Expansion would deal with defeating Yrel and resealing the Old Gods and cleansing Azeroth from the Void.

The last raid would be sabotaging Nzoth spell so that instead of fully corrupting Azeroth Azeroth would be mostly cleansed of void corruption and the Old Gods removed from Azeroth and thrown into the Void Lords dimension.

WoW 2 starts a 100 years later with much of the planet having been cleansed of Void corruption and the new Horde and Alliance having spent the last century rebuilding their societies.

In WoW 2 the PC would mostly be dealing with local issues and dangers like WoW classic with new stories and new characters.

Possible multiple different projects in the universe would be a decent option.

I am extra-skeptical that the same team that worked on Shadowlands should be the one defining the direction for the entire Warcraft universe. So, maybe different projects being in different “timelines” would be a decent alternative.

A potential “way out” could be that in Cataclysm, when we help Nozdormu, we do not follow the original timeline anymore. In Legion there is a confirmation of Broxxigar time-traveling, while the original story of the War of the Ancients exists just in Chronicles and pre-Cata books, but not in a timeline we’re in.

There is a peculiar look at the thing on reddit:

gl hf