The Night Elf Druids and The Horde

Ishnu-dal-dieb!

I am not much of a Roleplayer but I am curious about the Lore! After Battle For Azeroth the Night Elf as a society became quite vengeful towards the Horde as a whole. I was gonna ask about the Druids. Are the Druids in the Night Elf society still hostile towards the Horde? And if they are does that affect their power in any way?

I know Druids is a peaceful thing to be in their culture, and I assume its a requirement to enter the Emerald Dream? I could be wrong.

Anyway my question would be if Night Elf Druids are still very hostile towards the Horde would they still be welcomed into the Emerald Dream and if not what are they doing? If anyone has any insight to this I would be happy to know!

A bonus would be to tell me how Malfurion Stormrage is as well. SPOILERS
I know we are gonna see him again at Dragonflight. So I am curious if he still hold grudges towards the Horde as awhole.

En’shu falah-nah

1 Like

Like everyone else, night elf druids are individuals, not a hive mind. I imagine that different druids have different opinions towards the Horde.

As an organization, the Cenarion Circle is likely still neutral, but this didn’t stop Malfurion from participating in the Battle for Darkshore.

Personally I’d advise thinking how your character specifically feels, and work from there.

2 Likes

Druids encompasses more than just Night elves even if they are the majority. Druids were fighting against the Legion and the Satyrs and the Aq’ir way before the horde came knocking down their trees. and they were at their prime during those conflicts so feeling anger towards things is not something that stops druids from being druids, heck being a Druid of the Claw requires you to be quite aggressive.

As for Night elf druids? they’re not a monolith as Lintian said, but it is safe to assume they’re all at least apprehensive towards the Horde. destroying ones home and people does not make one prone to forgiveness.

The Cenarion circle on the other hand is a Neutral Organization. it was at first Night elf owned, but it let in Tauren and later on also Trolls and Worgen.
Tauren and Trolls are Horde races but if they’re full on members of the Circle they likely distanced themselves from the horde after the Burning. if they are like Hamuul they would probably advocate for some kind of reparations being made towards the elves.

So a night elf druid? safe bet they will be apprehensive at best, Wrathful at worst towards the Horde. and if they’re part of the Cenarion circle, they would probably not act out towards their Troll and Tauren bretheren with in the circle. However Tauren and Troll out side of the circle might not get the same treatment.

3 Likes

I think it’s worth noting that druids aren’t inherently peaceful, they just fight for different causes than most. They fight to preserve the balance of life, nature, the wilds. Their main organisation–the Cenarion Circle–didn’t historically take sides in the faction conflict because it wasn’t considered as relevant to their own objectives.

There is absolutely no requirement of pacifism/peacefulness to enter the Emerald Dream. Thaon Moonclaw from the Val’sharah story during Legion is a good example of this – he’s very much of the opinion that druids need to be on the front-foot, proactive rather than reactive.

Since I’ve answered the latter half of this already, I’ll focus on the former part. Consider it like this: the Horde, under Sylvanas & Saurfang, invaded the heart of night elven civilisation, Ashenvale – a practically sacred forest.

The Horde invades, murdering their people, their friends, their family, basically setting the forest ablaze in their war of aggression. This ends with Teldrassil–one of the World Trees–reduced to cinders, along with all the people who were unable to escape. Setting aside the cost of lives and livelihoods, this was an exact of blatant disregard for the balance of life and the sanctity of nature. The Forsaken were employing Blight by the time of the battle for Darkshore.

Our most recent interaction with Malfurion was in the novel Shadows Rising by Madeleine Roux, where–like Tyrande, Maiev, and Shandris–he’s regrouped at Hyjal, refuses to answer any missives from Anduin (who had signed a peace accord with the Horde) and the four are clear that they’d only consider reparations if they started with the presentation of Sylvanas’ head. Basically, his stance was a continuation of his depiction in BfA.

Now, obviously Tyrande has had a whole character arc during Shadowlands, so there might be some shift in behaviour, but ultimately I don’t see Malfurion representing anything softer than distrust and hostility toward the Horde at present, given that when Thrall meets with the night elves during Shadows Rising, they’re clear to him that Saurfang was guilty too (which, yeah, he absolutely was).

Regarding the Cenarion Circle, I think Yorah is probably on the money. Relative acceptance of tauren and troll druids, particularly those who spent BfA trying to fix the big oopsies in Silithus, but varying perspectives on the rest of the Horde – and none of them nice.

My own druid, during BfA, was very clear in their stance – if the Horde-aligned druids of the Cenarion Circle didn’t immediately condemn the Red Team and aid in its defeat, they were guilty by deliberate choice of association, and therefore enemies of the kaldorei. That was pretty fun, and I don’t think their opinion would have changed over the course of Shadowlands.

5 Likes

Ah this was a great summary! Thank you for a good read and giving me a better insight! Cheers! :facepunch:

Neat! I thought Druids was like Monks in a way with being one with nature etc. But you learn something new I suppose!

Wait! Are Horde Druids that participated in the Burning of Teldrassil still welcome into the Emerald Dream!?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: it’s complicated. The Emerald Dream itself doesn’t subscribe to any code of morality because it isn’t sentient, but its defenders do. For example, if a tauren/troll druid was involved in the War of Thorns and unambiguously supported the actions taken there and after, the traditional defenders of the wilds would probably object to their presence.

3 Likes

Really wish they would go deeper with this.

Nature isn’t peaceful. It can be serene and gentle yet also chaotic and destructive. The Kaldorei are also quite savage as a people, so there is no such thing as being completely at peace for them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.