The old ones in WoW vs The Origins of the old ones

The old ones in WoW vs The Origins of the old ones

First the Lovecraft version obviously ;
Humans are genetically engineered slaves that end up free after their former masters crash on Earth in Antarctica. Because humans are built with the inability to see the universe with its many layers if a human is to an old one like Cthulhu they will instantly learn the knowledge, but their brains will be so overloaded some much with it that they will die. Humans can learn to see the many layers of the cosmos, but they will see horrifying things and to others, they will seem like insane even though they’re the ones that see the truth.
Such the old ones and the rest of the gang are aliens.
But there is a silver lining, to the universe the humans are dust under their feet.
The rest of the universe does not know or care if humans exist.
Does the tagline: A Cold And Uncaring Universe.

But then there’s another official version.
In Howard’s universe the one I was introduced to them, the old ones are merely beasts that happen to be otherworldly demons. They’re closer to animals than extraterrestrial beings.

Cthulhu in this version doesn’t exist, but Yog-Sothoth does.
In Lovecraft’s version, Yog-Sothoth is something that is in the layer where the universe looks fleshy, but in Howard’s Yog is a very hungry otherworldly beast that only eats meat and likes human flesh.
Its human followers only eat meat and on full moons, they perform cannibalism.

There is no madness and the knowledge is questionable. Well, they’re the source for sorcery, but that is it.

WoW’s version on the other case.

Number one the Great Old Ones are just creations of the Void Lords.
The Insanity thing is there because it’s Void corruption.
But here is the part that makes WoW’s version unique. The Void Lords do care and they think they’re the good guys in this and just want to help everyone realize the truth that everything is a part of the Void and should return to the Void.
In the Weird Tales universe, Howard and Lovecraft make them into uncaring for humanity beings that only care about their interest and humans are either irrelevant or something in the way. WoW changes that and makes the great old ones a caring but dangerous bunch. For the void lords, the races of Azeroth are just foolish children fighting the inevitable and correct thing. To everyone else, they’re the bringers of destruction insanity and horror.

Join the brotherhood and fellowship under the banner of N’zoth. No longer shall you be afraid or feel alone in the void. We are all equal parts of it. Yet, only through acceptance and dedication to its cause can we find the path to true understanding.

Some might call it going mad or insane, yet what is truely insanity is to cling to the limits of the psyhce when reality is in truth unbound by its fictional rules.

Spread your arms and praise the Old Ones, for they know what we are yet to understand. Follow their lead. For they lead to truth!

You sir, are marked now for purging.

I see this thread for what it really is. Void Elf propaganda.

all those who carry the taint of the old gods must be purged before their corruption spreads the alliance was foolish to accept this void elves traitors in their ranks

not to worry though my previous profession has prepered me to deal with this kind of infestation takes out her old scarlet crusade tabard

They belong to the “I devour everything and everyone because I’m power-hungry” kind of villains. I don’ think they’re seeing themselves as the good guys. They’re the archetype of a chaotic evil faction. The stuff they tell are usually lies. So they aren’t caring at all.

The reason is that the whispers that comes along with the void makes people schizophrenic in its worst form. With Yogg-Saron, apparently just looking at him is enough, because the sight of him is so indescribably terrible and disturbing that it melts your brain. (Well, it’s not, but for our characters, I guess it’s supposed to be).

Continuing the discussion from The old ones in WoW vs The Origins of the old ones:

After a grueling battle to the dead with my monitor ( it fell on his head while he was cleaning under the desk.) and having to find a new one instead of a message from Blizzard that they have heard what happened and are sending Henry Cavill cosplaying as Lor’themar, I see this message.
Oh, sweet child of mine, one there is no chaotic evil in wow. This ain’t no DnD. Hell, I heard that old Dinosaurs that can breath fire and Basements under a castle don’t use that outdated system anymore.
Second, not only have they never said this, but you didn’t even grammar checked it.
Hell, it doesn’t even sound like them.

So, either you found the only in-game dialog that blizzard didn’t grammar check that even a similar dialog is so hard to the point that all wow wikis don’t have it or you made it up.
I wanted to write because it’s void corruption, but I didn’t because I didn’t. So, that is an oops on me dog. Whispers isn’t the deal. It’s what all of magical types can do, but then corruption is what all of them do as well, and happens to cause insanity-like behavior. So, maybe it is because?

Yes. I only used that common term to succinctly capture their disposition/mindset. So please focus on the meaning of “chaotic evil”, not whether a moral alignment system exists.

The Void is inherently destructive, as depicted in the lore for ages. The only exception is the audia drama featuring Alleria, but even that only describes her subjective viewpoint. It’s no secret that the Void either speaks the truth or lies, depending on what suits its manipulative agenda at the time.

That was a mechanic from the boss fight with Yogg-Saron in Ulduar. If you directly looked at him with your character, your insanity counter increased. That’s why you had to regularly turn away from him. Once the counter reached the maximum, you lost control over your character. Fair point, though: perhaps that mechanic was only “exclusive” to Yogg-Saron, and I generalized it to all encounters.

And if you find any grammatical errors, feel free to correct them instead of just pointing them out next time.

I see. No objection on my part then.

Whereby this is definitely a very big factor. In Northrend, this was explained in more detail and then confirmed again later, especially with the Void Elves.

Yeah, the whole domination thing. You think the corruption will be powerful enough to make someone their servant, but it is wow so someone has to willing become a servant. So, that the heroes can defy,but it is Warcraft. So , it is expected.
Fel has it, the elements have it, death has it, nature has it, arcane kinda has it, even holy is starting to have it.

I like how WoW portraits them as these hyper intelligent, but they just want to turn everything into them, or in the case of the void bring everything back to its original form.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.