The story of a newly dinged tank in WotLK

Nah, the adds aren’t that terrible. It’s Pound that is a tankbuster but I’ve seen tanks sidestep it.

The bosses that can be really hard are…

• Eregos. The big dragon has a truckload of HP, and the adds can easily rip apart your tank’s drake. We had to 2 heal it last night. (Thankfully, the whelps don’t summon mirrors. Wouldn’t be fair at all.)

• Xevozz in VH. This boss is a meme, even if you kite him, he can easily kill a geared tank. I’ve had several deaths to him.

• Malganis. Here, the problem isn’t being overtuned, it’s the bugs - he might not die at all, and if that’s your daily… gg. He won’t reset, just endlessly fight Arthas. Talking Arthas, there were times we started the gauntlet and he ported back or something, causing us to miss the corruptor.

• Tribunal in HoS. With the massive HP buffs the adds are crazy beefy and if you lack dps, they pile up to a hard-to-control massive crowd. They also quickly stack up the debuff to make it worse.

Otherwise, one wants to avoid the troll dungeons, that leech is still nasty imo. Also, UK and UP Glaciate can align with King Ymiron scream or Prince Frost Tombs. If you haven’t a stun removal/immunity effect, you’re dead.

When I gave the feedback that HC+ was going to cause this problem and be bad for the game, I was called an idiot and mocked. This situation with HC+ killing HC dungeons was inevitable.

Now you buy gear from AH and run WG until your ilvl is high enough to sneak into the daily HC+ run. The HC+ dungeons are too difficult for gearing players too, it only really works for the daily because geared players are boosting the barely geared noobs.

This is the problem tho, you’re talking about spending a substantial amount of gold on Ulduar/Naxx raid loot, to skip the HC gearing phase.

3 Likes

Yeah, like everyone is walking around with 20k gold just to be rdy for naxx

1 Like

This is the problem tho, you’re talking about spending a substantial amount of gold on Ulduar/Naxx raid loot, to skip the HC gearing phase.

I agree that H+ hasn’t really hit the right target audience, but here I am simply trying to offer the OP a bit of a guide to help solve that problem. Most prices have tanked on 10 man BoEs and Runed Orbs, and I could get all of the above mentioned on my server for around 5k-6k, which I don’t think is that hard to go out and grind.

My issue with this narrative is, as already mentioned, is that it’s not cheap at all. The BoE’s you mentioned is on my server around 12k gold. Then you also mention having two maxed out crafting professions, which is at the very least 5k gold per profession to skill up, probably even more.

This adds up to atleast 22k gold per character. And you also claim that you geared 3 characters like this within a week. That’s 66k gold spent in a week. Not something I would claim to be easily accessible for the average legitimate player.

3 Likes

It certainly does not cost 5k to level Engineering nor Jewelcrafting. Engineering is around 1k, and Jewelcrafting around 3k. But what I did on all my characters, was level mining whilst levelling, stockpile all the ores/stones/gems etc, farm a little bit more at max level, and then reroll the professions with these materials, and only have to buy the odd item here and there that I was missing. Neither JC nor Engineering have to be anywhere near 450 to get the items you actually want from them.

It’s nowhere near 12k gold for all those BoEs I mentioned. Runed Orbs are very low now, and all the other mentioned BoEs are from 10 man Ulduar which have also tanked in price. If I were to do a full list of all the BoEs I mentioned it would most likely come to around 5-6k. If it’s considerably more where you are, and the market value overall is higher then, farming should also be rewarding (for example farming ores here is not worth it). Failing that, considering moving to a higher population server could be the way to go, it would help find groups with people with similar gear too if you really did want to go down the H+ route.

You clearly don’t play on Gehennas then. My price estimation is actually in the lower end, in reality it would probably be more expensive. I can’t remember exactly what it cost my main doing a switch to engineering, but it was atleast 5k gold, probably ended up at about 6-7k.

1 Like

No I play on Earthshaker, which is not even as populated as Gehannas, and at a quick glance, here is what I can see everything would cost (assuming you are a paladin here):

Cloak of the Iron Council: 389g
Titansteel Shieldwall: 699g
Signet of Winter: 597g
Tempered Titansteel Helm: 799g
Bracers of Dalaran’s Parapets: 558g
Indestructible Plate Girdle: 1540g
Spiked Deathdealers: 1549g
Titanium Earthguard Ring: 554g
Titanium Earguard Chain: 574g

Total: 7259g

The belt and boots that require Runed Orbs were a lot more on Gehannas than Earthshaker, but everything else was about the same. Either way that isn’t a huge amount to have to fork out, simply completing all the Northrend quests and doing a few dailies will get you that. Plus you will get Emblems of Heroism (A whopping 142 in total) from quests which you can use to get a belt (Waistguard of Living Iron, 40 badges) if you want to skip the one there, and you could also cheap out on the Tempered Titansteel Threads (which are 699g) instead of the Spiked Deathdealers to get you started. Oh and you could also use the Emblems of Heroism to get the shield (which is very similar to the Titansteel one, but the crafted one is nice because it’s pure defense which will help you have an easier time getting defense capped early on).

Also if you level jewelcrafting with your own mats, you can make your own ring/neck and save a bit more too.

The only thing missing from this list is a weapon, where Titansteel Bonecrusher (1000g) is an option, not a great one, but enough to get started, or you could target the Red Sword of Courage from UP.

All of this gear is more than enough to tank Ulduar 25 normals and Ulduar 10 HMs (except Algalon of course), the only issue then is you will have to negotiate your way around groups asking for skillscore requirements (this set will put you at around 4k and a bit). But that is a problem for another day.

Hopefully this clears up that it is not that unrealistic to gear up to pretty decent levels before actually setting foot in a heroic plus or raid, and can help you out in doing so!

Im a good boy and i play the game instead of swiping my card

I dont think anybody really gives a dang aside from the asmongold cult honestly, and nobody cares about them in the slightest. Its your money lol

For my warlock belt was 5499 and boots was close to that

Yeah I had the same experience on my warr. What I don’t get is that the main issue is most people running HC+ dont need any gear. They’re just there for daily Valor. But we’re so far into the phase that surely people don’t even need the Valor anymore?

I expected HC+ groups to be easier to join later in the phase but they aren’t.

Only the daily hc is run by the majority. A small minority run hc+ for gear… thats my experience

Yep, most of the people that actually need those drops are not able to finish those dungeons. Like HoS is really not possible with low DPS.

On Mograine a stack of Mithril is 130g, so it would cost you over 1000g just in Mithril, without considering any other materials, almost all of which are also quite expensive. Gehennas is one of the cheaper servers, but even there Mithril bumps the cost up significantly.

You’ve really lowballed your estimate here. Professions are expensive, especially those that use classic ores, where it’s just not time effective to mine anything other than Thorium with the bugged WOTLK spawn rates.

i was push my prot war that i was dinged 3 weeks ago to 4600gs to raid uldu 25 with no guild so yo just need to grind that m+ and naxx and grind some golds via solo old content dungs ( botanica ) to get your boe s and crafts from uldu it is possible

Just make your own group and raids. Start a fresh Naxx 10 Full Run every week and start a Heroic+ Daily every day.

You will fill the spots.

So instead of relying on others and get recked by others opinions on GS and what not, rely on yourself.

WoTLK is by far the most Alt-Friendly experience out of all Classic versions so far. I usually gear an alt to 4.5k GS in less than 3 weeks.

Just by doing 3 things.

• I organise my own Daily Hc+ Runs
  • I organise my own weekly Naxx 10 Full runs
  • I organise my own OS+2D 10 runs
  • I organise my own EoE 10 runs

And once you reach 4.4k GS you can easily organisere Ulduar 10 full run without Hardmodes.

On wednesday and thursday I get all 10 man raids done from both T7 and T8 content in only 6-7 hours of gameplay. That’s included finding groups.

Make it even better and go ‘next level’ make your own Discord and create events so people can sign up in advance and you get a free pick ahead.

But even without the Discord effort, you fill Naxx 10 easily unless you’re on a dead server. My server (Nethergarde Keep) has non stop Naxx 10 full runs / Naxx 25 skip runs and weekly EoE’s and OS.

So put some effort in. Please.

One thing people miss when gearing fresh alt/character is Flame Leviathan. You can do 10man version with 3 freshly dinged 80’s or 5 if you want to feel safe.

25man version can be killed anywhere from 7 to 9 freshly dinged 80’s.

It’s literally free high ilvl loot.

If you buy gold and/or participate in GDKP in any form, youre the reason this community and the game itself has become complete trash.
But youre right, people who did care once, dont anymore.

What tank have you leveled ? That information is all i need to give you tips on how to easily gear yourself without/with incredible minor gold investment.

A lot of the stuff you talk about takes a lot more time than it would for a person who, gor the most part, can only play from 8:30 pm to 11:30 pm, at least on weekdays.

It really wasn’t like this on 3.3.5 eternal pservers. With RDF you could easily run mulyiple fast heroics at any time of the day. And perhaps because of this, there were also a lot more pugs popping on lfg chat.

The problem is that everything WoW devs made so far, such as hc+ and no RDF, was aimed at committed players who can play for hours everyday rather than to more casual ones who need a more relaxed schedule.

You’re at least right that it’s still better than vanilla or TBC. And I’m glad I had a lot more time to play when those were current. But it’s also a lot worse than it was on wotlk pservers.

Honestly, once WotLK Classic is over, I’m done. It’s clear to me at this point that the dev team does not have my best interests at heart, and there are a lot more games out there with more respect for my daily schedule