The use of PVP/arena macros

A quick question on your (as a PVP’ing hunter) use of focus target macros.

To up my game I’ve begun the “journey” of adding more and more buttons (i.e. RoS and Master’s Call macros for myself and my healer in 2s) adding to both complexity, button bloat - and our succes rate.

Using focus macros for intim and muzzle (I’m playing surv) seems logical, but I’m wondering then, do you also bind a regular intim and muzzle for whenever you wanna use it on whichever target is not the focus?

Or do you perhaps rather only have the focus macro versions of the abilities, and instead change who is the focus target (by using a hotkey)?

I hope this makes sense - I am asking to build healthy and smart arena habbits and want to know what smarter and more experienced PVP’ing hunters are doing :slight_smile:

Cheers!

I believe in arena you use @arena1, @arena2 instead of @focus for selecting targets.

They’re numbered based on the order they appear on your arena frames.

Also, I think there is an addon that places the arena number on top of their healthbars to be faster to identify who you want to cast on if you ever forget who came in first.

You may be able to macro in @arena[x] and @focus modifiers in the same macro so you can use them both in and out of arena.

Finally, I recommend joining the Hunter Discord channel, Trueshot Lodge, where they have a dedicated #pvp topic with a lot of helpful people.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the great tips - I will for sure check it out! And thanks for reminding me about the PvP section of Trueshot Lodge. I’ve been on there for PvE purposes for a while, but completely forgot to realize there’s of course also a PvP section… D’oh! Cheers buddy!

Personal preference is the answer I fear ^^. Although swapping focus first (unless it’s in the same macro) is often slower.

What you can do (simple example);
[does your mouse/cursor hover over an enemy?] then use it on him. Else [do you have an enemy @focus?] then use it on him. Neither are true? [use it on your target].

This way you can easily do it on a target other than your Focus without the need of a modify-key or separate bind.

But you can also choose to bind several macros of the same abilities to different keys, but that can quickly overwhelm you if you don’t have proper binds or a mouse with a massive amount of buttons.
alt-1 [@arena1] Ability
ctr-1 [@arena2] Ability
shift-1 [@arena3] Ability

Can also use an @cursor macro for the click-on-location abilities. (Perhaps useful for Traps? idk)

A lot is possible, just have to figure out what you find most convenient.

For a great deal of useful information:

Great reply, Magiola. Thanks dude - I actually have already implemented the @cursor trap macros and find it works really well for me. I do run a Logitech g600, so I’m good on buttons but more kept back I guess by my human flaws (scrub pvp’er yo).

Right now I’ve binded “target arena enemy1” (and 2) as well as a set focus macro and use these 3 to do my stuff. I’m sure it can be improved upon, but at the same time it sure as hell beats not having them at all.

Thanks for the suggestion about the all-in-one “hover over/at focus/if neither are true then target” solution - I am going to try it out.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.