The view of WoW from a “Contest winner’s tabard” owner

Hey all,

I’m the owner of “Content Winner’s Tabard”
What is that? : “ This tabard was given to the people on each server with the most honorable kills before the introduction of the original honor system. Only one alliance player and one horde player per server received the item.

Yes i killed many in open world pvp :slight_smile:

The experience i had back in the days were and are till do today the best experience of gameplay i had in wow and in any other game i have played.
You might ask yourself why? Let me explain that to you :slight_smile:

First fact: No battlegrounds/arena’s = no queue time but instead moving around in the “World” of warcraft = exploring the world/game in a different way when you lvl up or doing quest you do now. When you travel area’s were dangerous because of mobs but also enemy players! Fighting a faction was a thing, now it’s not.

Use of the world vs limites walls and pillars in arena or bg’s:
When you had fights, it was in the open world, fighting between rocks/trees/water/bridges/ random mobs/ no limitation as you have in arena or bg’s, it was open world! When you rez up im bg’s is at GY only or walk to corps. Open world you had to time it, look around, find the right bush or tree to rez and eat. Sometimes it happens you rez in a bush and noticed that your enemy player did as well on same moment haha fun interaction!

Having fun without restrictions: You could solo or with friends, in arena or bg’s, even if you are good, you are sticked and depending of the players in your team and searching for right player with right criteria of vers/armor/archivement, back in the days you select the players and most of the time you didn’t select bit based on who you meet during the fight you learned new players to explore the World and kill enemy players where based on the fun factor! It didn’t matter what armor you had ! No archivements/no vers stats/no rankings/no class combos setup just fun! And if it was early morning and your friends were offline you went solo as you could! Now you meet and interact with players on your level. Someone who doesn’t have much time to play vs someone who does and higher rank, these 2 players will never interact with each other, while back in the days they could, and perhaps the guy with less time and less geared could be better then you and you had allot more fun to play with him then you do now with your premade limited Rbg team.

Never the same experience: Open world you had really fun interaction with other players, slow fall on my mage was useful and could be used in different situations. In bg’s and arena’s you often don’t have fun, it’s always the same interaction, pre preparation.

Teams/solo: Open world you had often 1vs1 or 1vs2 or 1vs3! You gain skills because you had to improve alone/solo, not depending of you friends who are top geared and you queue with it in arenas.

Players restrictions: You also had epic battles with no restrictions of amount of players xx vs xx, even you were on the side with less players you had fun and could win! In arena or bg’s means you lose the game with 1 player less.

Quest now are just vs random mobs, back in the days you had mobs but perhaps an enemy behind a tree or hidden in the bushes haha or fighting that rare elite you also needed to kill.

Fun and Achievements: When i won the tabard, i wasn’t aware of it you could won it and no idea where i was on the list, i played the game my way and how “World” of warcraft was designed. I had a blast of fun and that was the only reason. Now it’s all about the damn achievement you want to have to be able to link and show for new seasons to find a “better” premade group, you don’t care if you going to have fun, it’s about having “Victory” in the end.

Armor: Back in the days the armor was great but you could kill players based on skill and was not that much depending of your armor you do now.

I hope you find it interesting, let me know what you think about it, peace, Magy

5 Likes

I miss pvp servers too. Just the balancing today is so far from a real balance, and the gear dofference between players are so great, a single op class player cluld solo 5-6 low gear not so op class.
Would you still play mage for example during the leveling and open world farming process, if pvp servers would still be a thing?

Of course i will. But only if they removed arena’s or battlegrounds which they won’t. Which means they need to give ranks rewards from world pvp exclusive. People will have a choise to do arena or bg or world pvp.
They could do so many things, i wonder how come the lack of creativity to get things done to make it fun. They could give you daily quest : kill xx players in that area of the world in a time limit of 24 hours or 48 hours in shadowlands or other places which allow to come back to old places where now you never going to visit again. Pvp armor with same stats or slightly different with different looks. Quest with kill 50 warriors. Rare / elite mobs with pvp armor drops for big battles

1 Like

Honestly, then they have to severely cut down the sharding and change how grouping up affects it.

Now any quest would become “yolo, group up and camp certain strategic points to slaughter them one by one without them giving the time to figure out what’s happening”, leading to severely imbalanced shards.

No grouping up by lfg for this, like back in the days, need hell ask guild or general chat

Warmode felt like a blessing at first since i’m on a rp server and world pvp wasn’t much of an option since no one turned on their pvp before wm. I started on Frostmane which was a pvp server and though i enjoyed it except for pesky max level undead rogues in the barrens killing my lower level shaman, after my friends left the game i decided to play on a rp server cause i had no clue what it was…It’s a good reason i tell myself.

However the downside is that rp server don’t really shard and being on a server with 70% Alliance wm isn’t exactly fair game. Allot of times its full raids of Alliance players and nothing else. The 10% bonus i get from wm isn’t worth the hassle of constant corpse running.

Shame cause wm could have been something great and i like the ideas OP is posting about daily quests in older zones.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.