Theory: Female characters are better at everything

Hello Everyone.

I was wondering about some posts I have read here so I decided to ask for your opinion about a theory I came up recently.

Think BfA is a crime scene and all we can do is try to figure out what is behind it.
In summary: What are they trying to tell us ?
In my opinion is: Females are better than males.

To understand where I am coming from, I usually see this channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfwE_ODI1YTbdjkzuSi1Nag
And it seems lately, there’s been huge issues in the game industry regarding SJW and female politics interference, regarding game narratives.

From reading the forum posts since I started BfA, I conclude that the most loved/respected characters are usually, the ones that show no love for the opponent, the ones that attack/kill the enemy faction,
For Example: Jaina at the beggining of BfA, Tyrande, Sylvanas, Princess Talanji.
Example:

On the oposite side, the ones that are hated are the ones that show compassion or friendship towards the oposing faction.
For example: Baine, Anduin, Saurfang, Thrall, Lor’themar.
Example:

I was analysing this reply:

This was a interesting.
Why would a character, wise beyond his years written as the perfect character make such a stupid mistake, shown unfit to lead ?

Because, that way:

• Sylvanas could show how awesome she is, regarding Horde leadership, being a better vilain than the male character Garrosh.
    She conquered the Night Elves capital, where Garrosh failed.
    Her plan to kill Malfurion, failed because of Saurfang, a male character.
  • Jaina appears and save the male characters from their incompetence, in the battle of Lordaeron.
  • Aleria appears and brings reinforcements.
    Where was Turalyon ?
  • Finally the nail in the coffin of Battle of Lordaeron:
    Sylvanas is the one that almost kills Anduin, Genn, Aleria and Jaina, without Baine and Nathanos.
    Jaina is the one who saves the day, by teleporting everyone to safety.
    All female characters.

Also:

My conclusion in BfA is:
Females characters rock, males characters sucks.
Was it worth it ?
Captain Marven and Brie Larson, Ghostbusters made only with female characters say hello !

That’s just my thoughts.
I could be wrong, that’s why I wanted to know your opinion.
Cheers.

14 Likes

I wouldn’t go this far.

Sylvanas is shown as genocical sociopath
Jaina is unstable ticking bomb, one day she feels like downing a city another time she makes sad faces and bangs a dragon.
Azshara is self absorbed cookoo that likely screwed up entire world for the second time.
Ashvane while was more cunning and capable than senile Proudmoore (who didn’t act when entire fleet went missing), was shown as grotesque being.

Mayla has to be encouraged to take over reigns of Highmountain.

Thalyssra had he be saved few times, and constantly fed because she was addicted.

We also have an asspull trolls that are matrialchal society - and they’re one of the most vile beings, portrayed as one dimentional cannibals.

So I wouldn’t say that female characters are portrayed as “rocking”, majority of them are shown in rather negative way.

Some people say that it’s Talanji that could fit this description, but I don’t really see it. I was expecting it with the surge of SJW propaganda, but Talanji not only really loved her father but til the very end she tried to save him, nobody defended him from defamation as she did, and she tried to explain to player conditions on why he refused to act in regards to blood troll threat, when she was upset it was Rastakhan who took over task of defending kingdom and he took the risk of bargaining with Bwonsamdi. Talanji never claimed she did everything right, she TRIED to make best decisions and always gave credit to those who helped her - especially “her dear Rokhan”. Ofc I’d like to keep Rastakhan and just make Talanji replace Zul, but eh looks like this is the fate of each iconic troll.

You’re also forgetting that it’s the Anduin - that according to Golden - is the biggest “example” as his character has a mission. To show how ‘non-toxic masculine’ guy looks like. And she also favors Baine.

So I see where you’re coming from, but WoW didn’t reach there.

on a side note, if anything I’d say that Vol’Dun protagnists felt forced, as if it wouldn’t be the guy to chase down Jak’razet and become general later, but we got not one but “two brave women” to take down one nasty old guy. When you look at Zanchuli council you feel that majority of them are women for some reason. If Rakera would be a guy then it wouldn’t be this visible.

7 Likes

Considering female representation is quite awful with a few exceptions, like Talanji, AU Draka and Taelia, I see where you are coming from. But compared to the men of Azeroth it’s not that much to cheer. Women are either stupid, crazy, evil, unstable or a mix of those things. Whatever blizzard tries to do here, I don’t know what it is. Their male cast still takes the beans.

3 Likes

I don’t think that they want to show that women are better in everything but they want obviously to push the female leaders. For example with the allied races.

• Highmountain Tauren -> Mayla

• Nightborne -> Thalyssra

• LF Draenei & Void Elves are a combination of both.

• Dark Iron Dwarves -> Moira

• Mag’har Orcs -> Gera’yah

• Kultiran -> Jaina/Catherine Proudmoore

• Zandalari -> Talanji

So I think we see the obvious female influence right here, but I had rarely the feeling that they wanted to show women as something better.

3 Likes

He’s not written as the perfect character. If he were, he wouldn’t have committed that mistake. Thus, he is not perfect. You’re either perfect or not. There aren’t various stages or phases of perfection.

1 Like

I can’t say I care too much about the gender question here. WoW’s females are neither blatantly replacing the existing male characters systematically, as was the case with Ghostbusters, nor are they here to suddenly upstage characters we have seen growing for 10 years or more, like Captain Marvel. If you want more female representation, building up existing characters, like they did with the Warbringer-ladies, and introducing new ones, like they did… well, everywhere, this addon, is the way to go.

And while it is certainly true that male characters do come up as quite incompetent, I don’t see them reallydoing better with the female ones. Jaina’s big moment was the magical equivalent of brute force. Sylvanas hasn’t shown any positive results of her supposed tactical genius, yet. Azshara did nothing. Tyrande gave herself a powerup… and did nothing with it for now. Most of BfA’s new characters have already started to vanish into oblivion.

So… while they certainly are having their female representation in mind, I don’t think that the “feminist agenda” and “raising up females by dragging males down” are very high on the long list of Blizzard’s writing problems. Jaina and Sylvanas are characters they have been building for years, before they took the spotlight. Baine and Anduin haven’t suddenly become soft, they always were.

I really wouldn’t even focus on the characters involved, the plot itself is so much more of a problem.

8 Likes

So I took a creative writing course once and from it we were taught that ultimately when writing we seem to favor our own gender and things we relate to unless we actively think about it. Like a woman is more likely to write “her/she” in situations where it could be neutral and a guy is more likely to make male protags and vice versa among other things.
My point is, the lead writer is a woman so it may be as simple she just never sat down and thought about it. There does not have to be an agenda here.
Although I can understand where you are coming from. I do think while the writing is not the best we are not Cap. Marvel lvl BS which is also why I hesitate to make judgements

3 Likes

There are simply more female characters in general now. And as we are not used to this, we feel that men are somehow being discriminated against, even though they still constitute a majority and are important to the plot.

Also, I still find it funny that people think that progressive = bad. As a matter of fact, most media with progressive messages at their cores are good, while those media that are shown as examples of “SJW ruining everything” are actually corporate products with a thin coat of wokeness layered on (Ghostbusters 2016, TLJ, etc). “SJWs” are used as scapegoats by corporations, who would have thought…

2 Likes

Its an American thing, if there is a question between men and women, women are always the right answer.

I dont mind that, as indeed women can perceive things men often cant, whereas they might lack the deciveness sometimes.

But not Sylvannas and Jaina. They are Warbringers after all and the name should imply what they came to do in BFA… no catch there

#gurlpowah

3 Likes

I think the issue here is more of an ideological one.
There has been a growing tendency to draw on our own RL values up to the absurd level where we have fictional fantasy races behaving (or expecting to behave) as we would. To the point it’s absurd.

There are also certain cases when you can simply see the so called “SJW PC mindset” leaking into the game to the point it clashes with what we would obviously expect from a game that delves into the warring aspects of a bunch of fantastic races such as orcs, elves and undead. It’s ridiculous.

But, and this is rather important for me, I don’t think is that gender based as we might think. I think it’s something that affects everyone and everything in the end.
Least we forget, that Anduin is the paragon against toxic masculinity, that war is always bad and unreasonable, capitalism is mean, that deep inside we are all gentle and fragile, and that an emotional breakdown makes one sympathetic to the point we can forgive intended or accomplished genocide (or any similar thing).

2 Likes

Art reflects life. It has always been that way. Racism and sexism are an important issue in modern Western culture and it is only natural that it is reflected in our art.

It is especially ridiculous to insinuate that this is a modern, SJW influence over the otherwise immaculate apolitical Warcraft universe. Warcraft has been about racism since 2001.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I wanted to add the reason led me to believe this theory, is because of the narrative.
One thing is equal rights which I support.
Other thing is ruining things because a certain agenda.

In example one of the things I like about the Quartering channel is: he believes, games should be out of political agenda.

Can we say the game, story has become, better over the years ?
I liked the narrative until WoTLK, until something’s started to happen.

Here’s an example:

From Blizzcon 2014, Chris Metzen said:

"We’ve heard our female employees," he said. "And my daughter tools me out about it. She saw a World of Warcraft cinematic of the Dragon Aspects, and my daughter was like, ‘Why are they all in swimsuits?’ And I was like, 'I don’t know. I don’t know anymore

So apparently that isn’t fine.
It’s WRONG.

But showing acts of brutality like this are ok, because of shock value ?

Going through that extra mile to make, someone’s game experience, as uncomfortable as possible, just because he chose to play red instead of blue is ok ?
Examples:

• Saurfang three cinematics.
  • Sylvanas Warbringer cinematic.
  • NPC’S calling your character “Murderer.”

Talking about some messed up priorities here …

Cheers.

5 Likes

With a conscious message by the writers behind it, or unconsciously, since fantasy races will always reflect some kinde of racial thinking, no matter what you do? I can see the later, but I don’t think I really see much of the former. If you think they had a racial message in mind from the start, what would you think it was?

3 Likes

I’m of the opinion that when you are dealing with races such as Warcraft orcs, that glorify the kind of strength that condones death duels, Honour kills, and overall aggression, or elves that find it justified to kill someone over a tree, writers should keep certain boundaries regarding the messages they want, or need, to throw at players. Specially regarding morality and what’s right and wrong.

There are some universal truths (to call them in some way), that can indeed be thrown around regardless of context. But overall, one has to tread carefully when dealing with what is supposed to be a fantasy world.
Again, we are talking orcs and zombies here.

There can’t be this sort of signalling that has one going with the twisted and psychotic undead…but must have a take home message about feeling bad for it.

Again, this is fiction. And as of lately its being twisted excessively by the constant messaging and bombardment of RL values.

Like, no sh!t, I know War is bad. But do you really need to lecture me about it while playing an orc in a game called World of Warcraft?

Do I really need Sylvanas to take pride in being the first female Warchief when I know elves have had female leaders for like thousands of years? Am I supposed to hug Jaina because she is going over her tenth emotional breakdown after she has raided or attempted to destroy another city?

Do we really want a fantasy setting with our exact same RL values??

17 Likes

^this
/thread

1 Like

Messed up priorities, indeed…
Exposed midriffs are sexist and a no-go, but genocide is okay because it is somehow supposed to make Sylvanas look like a “strong” female character? It’s absurd.

2 Likes

Overly conscious about ‘Toxic masculinity’ and feminism are rife in the writing team.

2 Likes

Here is abit more in your theory. All straight females and males are moved to 2 plan. In front we see one who does it with dragon second who has cuckold by her side and realy into corpses and other that likes to spend time with tentackles :slight_smile:

Also OP, your argument doesn’t work. Yes, we have Jaina doing a lot of badass stuff. Yet we also have Tyrande failing to defend her city. We have Sylvanas failing to defend her city after she failed to conquer Darnassus like the plan dictated. Jaina herself failed to defend her city prior to BfA. Katherine is shown as a complete failure who couldn’t achieve anything without Jaina and the player character.

Anduin acting out-of-character is not because Blizzard is sexist, it’s because they want a faction war expansion. If Anduin acted in-character, there wouldn’t be a faction war expansion.

2 Likes

Isn’t this also a bit of an American thing though? Like you can have movies for 12+ where people get beat up and shot, but if they say naughty words or show some ankle it’s straight 18+! So maybe it’s a cultural thing, more than a feminism thing?

2 Likes