Thinking of starting rp, where to begin?

I have been considering getting a character on Argent dawn but I find the intricacies of RP to be a bit intimidating and daunting, where do I start?, do I need to join a guild,what addons should I get and general how to interact with people as RP is totally new to me :slight_smile:

6 Likes

First off welcome to Roleplaying! I’ve added some helpful links at the end of my reply that I would reccomend reading through as these people have put in a lot of effort for people like you, new to the RP Community.

You dont necessarily need a guild to RP with, public RP hubs like Orgrimmar/Stormwind, Booty Bay and (from time to time) the Crossroads/Lakeshire are filled with lots of RPers that are welcoming “random approach Roleplay”. If it feels a bit intimidating I would recommend finding a guild that welcome new Roleplayers.

A great addon called Total Roleplay (search for TRP 3) is used by the RP Community to make RP-Profiles. This addon is used to show our In-Character name, first-glance descriptions, any character details and any self inserted description. Id recommend downloading this addon to play around with and also look around how Roleplayers set up their profiles.

That’s what I have to tell you, now here are the links:
Newcomer guide

Guilds of AD (not all active guilds are listed here)

Other newcomer having a bunch of different advice given as replies

5 Likes

I’ve been shown quite a few forum threads from people trying to get into RP as our guild is pretty hyped up on introducing people to RP and watching them grow. Everything said above is about as much as can be said over a forum!

It also depends what type of guild you’re looking for. The Gilded Blades, for instance, are a Horde aligned mercenary guild, on frequent adventures with long campaigns, our own battle system to make things easier and more interesting, based in Booty Bay. Lots of swashbuckling on pirate ships or helping defend against them, or doing the Horde’s dirty work like cleaning up messes, incursions. I’m pretty sure one time we even built a shed.

But if that’s not what you’re interested in there’s lots of lovely guilds out there. I can’t speak for Alliance side but on the Horde there’s amazing bunch of RPers like the Sixty Thieves, Hand of Conquest, Spire Division Zero - and loads more that my brain can’t keep up with!

It may be a good idea to check out Argent Archives and browse through the guilds there to see what you’re interested in.

If you need any more info that you don’t think you’ll find on a forum or want a bigger chat feel free to add me on Bnet! moonbrow#21550

It’ll be lovely to see you around on AD!

1 Like

On the Alliance side.

First off, welcome.

I’d install Total RP 3 first. It’ll show RP profiles of players who also have the addon, and most people either use it or another addon that’s compatible.

Orgrimmar can be a good place to start, but it can be a bit daunting for a new player. Usually people don’t mind walk ups, and your best bet is someone who says they don’t mind right in their TRP.

Horde RP is very guild based, so an RP guild can help if you’re willing to join one. People recommend the Hand of Conquest and the Rotgarde frequently. I personally recommend the Bloodstained Unity but I don’t know if they’re recruiting currently.

1 Like

I agree…

1 Like

I typed this on my phone, thanks for pointing that out, actually. Edited.

I can’t but stress this enough, but study, study, study, I mean, sure, you can probably keep a conversation about the current expansion going for a week or so, but eventually the need for bringing up the past, and then you need to know if your character knows about it or not, for example, during the Wrath-gate, was your forsaken among those who fought Putress or not.

Basically, if a word strikes your fancy or you’re not familiar with it, read about it here, gamepedia(dot)wow(dot)org

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.