Want to Give Roleplaying in WOW a Shot

Another recommendation for add ons to help with Rp are Listener and Snooper. As previously stated wow rp can be a lot faster than forum rp and sometimes when there are a lot of people it can be hard to follow what is going on and intimidating.

Listener means you get a separate chat box where you can add in peoples names so they are focused in that box to make it easier to keep up with who you are talking to and snooper means that when you target a person you can see all the messages that person said specifically.

It’s very very helpful and can alleviate a lot of stress when a lot of people are around.

5 Likes

Oh thank you! I didn’t even know these existed. I often avoid large RP events because I can’t keep up :sob:

Question regarding the argent dawn archives, does one create an account there for each character they use?

Edit: Also, how do I go about installing that TRP3 add-on?

Have you searched addons on google? If just right click the file, extract then search the wow file, hit retail then interface, then addons and dragged the extracted files to addons.

edit: As for argent archives, I don’t use them very often and only have one profile there thou I haven’t updated it in ages.

I don’t see a “retail” button anywhere?

Welcome to Argent Dawn, Muzzle!

Zagkush is referring to the installation destination :slight_smile: Be sure to install the addon in \World of Warcraft\_retail_ and not in _Classic_. You’ll get two folders, one called totalRP3 and one called totalRP3_Data. (I have tons of others but this is the only one you’ll really need for RP.)

Install TRP3 in \World of Warcraft\_retail_\Interface\AddOns

If this is problematic you can just remove the TRP3 files you downloaded from the website, and instead use the addon manager integrated in Twitch. It’s very easy that way to get addons and keep them up to date so I’d recommend that.
You can get TRP3, Listener (including Snooper, they are not separate addons), and pretty much everything else as one-click-install addons from the Twitch WoW addons library.

^ Twitch addon manager interface

^ The glorious Snooper window of the Listener addon

Note also that you can configure your regular chatbox to stop showing you NPC chat or put it into a separate tab so the NPCs don’t spam away your RP interaction.
You can also create additional chatbox tabs so you can easily toggle between everything, or G chat only, or RP only, or a list of recently looted items, etc. Click here for a chatbox configuration guide.

^ Untick all the Creature Messages boxes for an NPC-proof chatbox

One addon that hasn’t been mentioned yet but that will probably make things easier for you and others reading along: WIM (Wow Instant Messenger).
It takes whispers out of your main chatbox and into separate little boxes that you can easily close and re-open. I used to constantly forget names or spend ages scrolling so this is a godsend for me, especially as a DM.

^ WoW Instant Messenger

Finally, lemme highlight this useful comment that was mentioned by Lintian above.

Check out the full reply and in particular the Guide to roleplay for newcomers - #16.

Again, welcome aboard Muzzle and if you’ve any more questions, go right ahead!

EDIT:

Yes, unfortunately. They do it to make it impossible for others to track your alts, I suppose.

9 Likes

Thank you very much for all the wonderful answers and suggestions!

After a failed attempting at installing the add-on directly, I decided to try the twitch approach and it seems to have worked! Currently exploring the add-on. My subscription appears to be “pending”, which is a little worrying considering this is my first time using my card to pay for anything online and I really hope I didn’t accidentally give any wrong information…

Yes, unfortunately. They do it to make it impossible for others to track your alts, I suppose.

That’s fine then. Just wanted to be sure.

4 Likes

Looking forward to see you in argent dawn for some rp if youd like ofc.

1 Like

Well, if it interests you I made a quick character, a Tauren named ‘Nightstomp’ currently in an in in Ogrimmar. It’s a character for more occasional use (gonna make any “mains” after I’m no longer under free account restrictions), but, well, they’re there.

I have also ally chars, I only use my zand to post cuz I’m more used to it and what people recognize me as, even when I post on alts.

1 Like

Well, any you’d like to bring I’d be happy to hang out. Albeit I’ve been told just now that the restrictions on newbie accounts are even worse than I realized… (namely, /say can’t be seen…)

This is normal. Buying a subscription for the very first time on an account has a check period, an effort to combat card fraud. It should not happen again once your account is fully unlocked.

1 Like

That’s a relief to hear. Do you happen to know how long this period usually is?

Can take up to 72 hours.

1 Like

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Yes you create an account for each character.

This is SUCH a great tool! It really helps me a lot at least!

3 Likes

Good news folks! It would appear that my account restrictions are now lifted! Wooo!

2 Likes

Good news, now you can rp to your hearts content. :smile:

edit: This is your friendly neighbor Zag signing out once again.

Regarding which inn you are in for your Tauren there are a few in Org, however Valley of Honor is pretty much the main Rp spot so I’d reccomend that one.

I walked around for a bit and only found one place that actually sold alchohol… Maybe I just missed the others.