Thoughts on Overwolf?

I don’t get how one company can even attempt to lay exclusive claim over… WoW addon distribution. If Overwolf oversteps any more boundaries, we can always try to beg Blizz to make an addon manager. They can’t and won’t go against Blizz.

Well, it’s their bandwidth, and their distribution site. They didn’t send the C&D letters to stop other managers from distributing the addons they do, they sent it to stop them from piggybacking on CurseForge.

They don’t claim exclusivity over addon distribution, they want to be the only client that can install and upgrade addons from CurseForge. From a business point of view, that makes sense. It’s still a nasty thing to do to send C&D when you don’t even have a client on your own just yet.

2 Likes

It’s terrible and basically mod authors/devs are trying VERY hard to get people to support it so they get more money.

Given overwolf’s history, the community is very concerned about invasive ads, especially in game (ex. the hearthstone app that plays ads during loading screens, I believe there’s a HotS one that does the same)

Looking at overwolf’s privacy terms, there is no way to opt out of targeted advertising, no way to opt out of system profiling, and no way out of overwolf tracking what games we play.

Overwolf in the past has used some very intrusive ad services.

Overwolf has historically had issues with both performance and being detected (falsely or otherwise) by various anti-virus/anti-cheat systems.

People should stop/dont use it… there will always be other ways to update addons, manually or otherwise.

i counted 10 main addons that i use everyday.

Why I can’t just have curseforge on my pc minus overwolf is annoying. I don’t want that s**t on my pc and it won’t let me uninstall it

you know when man and wife becomes one? that’s overwolf and curseforge now.

1 Like

I open the twitch app and update my addons just like I did a year ago.

Did it not change yet?

1 Like

2nd of December is when it will go bye bye.

Damn, that sucks

I’m not going to willingly install malware.

1 Like

Downloading and copy pasting them is not really hard and it takes a minute to do it.

Why start another thread.

2 Likes

Overwolf loads up nicer than Twitch, which often gave up loading the addons and needed a kick. Overwolf gets straight to it and just does its really simple job better than Twitch, I don’t understand people’s issue.

1 Like

I’ve never downloaded not intend to download similar programs.

Well I’d very much like them to divorce right now.

2 Likes

It’s overwolfs history that’s the problem.

2 Likes

Ah right, well since I’m new to it I’ll judge from here on.

For one addon, yes. I have about a hundred. I fire up WowUp, press a button, and it’s done within a minute.

It gives me a nice overview of what addons I have installed, which ones have updates, I can easily select whether I want to track the stable/beta/alpha channels, and it helps me manage a different set of addons for Retail, PTR and the Beta too, should I wish so. (And I did, I didn’t want to install beta addons on Retail prior to the pre-patch, while I very much wanted to when playing the Beta.)

Well based on that we should have boycotted Blizzard ages ago as well.